Three Ring Kookaburra Camping Stove

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 22:56
ThreadID: 122067 Views:4373 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have one and would like to run it off the 9Kg spare bottle on the front of the BT rather than carry a smaller bottle.

Been having some difficulty getting the regulator and suitable hose length. Went to see a licenced plumber and was advised - it 'not suitable and or dangerous'

He stated that you can run standard houshold type stoves or the black cast iron camping type stoves off the 9 kg bottles (with the large screw attachment) - but not the smaller primus or Kookaburra type stoves.

My only option at the time appeared to be (a) get a cast iron jobbie and get rid of the Kookaburra and 4.5L bottle and stay with the latter and duplication... mmmm

Anyone who can confirm the advice I have or has other suggestions it would be appreciated.

(And yes - we always cook on an open fire given the option)

Cheers John and Jean
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 23:20

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 23:20
Hello again Grumblebum,
Despite your nickname, it is always a pleasure... Ha!

I got one done years ago just like that at a Camping/Disposal Store. 10 foot hose, self sealing /closing ends, to fit a little stove with the bottle a long way away, and the regulator to suit screwed right into the bottle.. Mine was a 4.5 kg bottle from memory. Some of the Camping / Disposal type stores must have a licensed person to make up special long gas lines like I wanted to hook a stove up to the bottle, and they make up their own fittings on the ends.. Try a phone call or two... I would get you the current Regs but our Gas Man is not here today..

You don't need a Plumber, you need a Certified Gas Man for the real answer.. You may speak to our Gas Man here if you like, with your specific requests, but I do not think it a problem... Call a Camping Store that makes up gas fittings out of bulk stock for such applications... Try that OK?

Cheers, from BT
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566616

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 06:14

Thursday, Jun 30, 2005 at 06:14
We run our portable BBQ off a gas bottle with the large thread that is in the 9kg bottles. We just have the adaptor from the large thread down to the normal small gas cylinders thread size that has a standard regulator on the bottle end of the hose. We only use the standard length hose but the camping supply shops sell longer hoses.

I think the only illegal or dangerous thing that the plumber might have been talking about is that you are not permitted to have a long flexible hose as a permanent fixture on a caravan or camper etc. That is why all caravan have a solid gas pipe line with a protective cover on it, and only a very short flexible hose to the bottle. If it is not a fixture, then I don't believe there is any problem.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566617

Reply By: The paca people - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 04:53

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 04:53
Hi GB & Dragon,

We have had a Gas Fitter (licenced to do "mobile" work i.e. on caravans and vehicles, etc) install a tee into the original gas reticulation piping on the BT en-route to the gas stove and water heater. He fitted a protection sleeve over the copper tubing and an isolating valve plus a bayonet fitting (female with sealing cap/plug) under the kerb side edge of the van foward of the wheels. Upon completion he pressure tested the complete system.

To this bayonet fitting we connect a "marine" gas BBQ which has a short flexible gas hose and the appropriate male bayonet end fitting.
We used the same BBQ on our previous (non BT) van with the mods carried out by the same gas fitter and made an 18,000 km trip up the Centre and back gown the west coast with no problems and no damage. Mind you, we do not tackle the "absolute" trails.
Cost in both cases was around $250.

For Copeton 2005 we have added a pair of 25mm square tubes to accomodate two long 20mm square removable tubes upon which the gas BBQ sits - very similar to the arrangement for the stone screen on the front of the BT. The tubes are level with the underside of the BT chassis. The back of the BBQ is about 120mm clear of the BT aluminium cladding to avoid any heat or smoke damage.

Can email pics if you so requested to rosedene@westnet.com.au
Cheers from the 'paca people - Bouvard W.A.
AnswerID: 566618

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 06:45

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 06:45
Thanks folks - I'm off to see if this humble town as a licenced gas person to do the necessary.

Thanks for your input

John
AnswerID: 566619

Our Sponsors