water in van

Submitted: Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 06:55
ThreadID: 122073 Views:4696 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Have noticed a person on here asking if water leaks in BTs are a common thing.Well we just spent 10 days in Sydney 5 of those driving in pouring rain to and from the gold coast and when we got home on Tuesday 28 june we have had 364 mm of rain till now 30 june and the only water in our van is in the water tanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 07:15

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 07:15
Did you have to put the water proof door across to keep it out when you parked it at home? We had a lot less rain on the Sunshine Coast than what you had.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566645

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 17:53

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 17:53
Hello Friends,
On the serious side... Water leaks in the roof of Bushtracker vans have been less common than being hit by lightening! Ha!

However, any of you with vans that have not read Tip # 41 on the Private Forum about the gasket that can perish on the Solar Junction Box, please do so as this is a necessary maintenance item and will cause water ingress if let go too long, OK?

The second thing is to be careful with the Four Seasons Hatch. While it is the best hatch we can find on the market, it does have some minor issues to get used to.. One is the feeling that it is clicked onto "Close" when it is actually still open on the "Rain" position of mostly closed... Water can be blown in and run along the ceiling to come out somewhere else...

In general, it is nearly impossible to get water ingress through the roof, only through a defect in a gasket like on the solar junction box, or the gasket on the air conditioning, or rarely wicking through the wiring of a clearance light, or blowing in the hatch and running along the ceiling somewhere... The reason is that the seam of the ceiling cladding is filled with twenty year Sika-Flex and then joined and then hammered over into one permanent joint... And the edges are completely hammered over and fully imbedded in Sika....

So despite what some "can't reach the grapes so they must be sour" type of person might point out as a fictitious worry, a roof leak is less likely than being hit by lightening.

Not quite as remote a chance as a shark attack in the Simpson, but getting close... Ha!

Kind Regards, stg
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566646

Follow Up By:- Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 19:30

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 19:30
Are you saying that it is not likly but is possable, because that is what i have posted the van i inspected was dripping wet and was on a property at Strathpine and was for sale the hatch was not open but what you are now saying is that there are several places that it could get through, all one wants to now is where they are so one can that on board, and not just be blindly lead along by the nose. If you read my post i have nevr knocked the BT have only asked questions in regard to isseue that i would like to know before i aquire one, and any informed seller should shurly answer these in a truthful manner, and not fob of the issue and keep say that this is the nest so the rest must by bad.
up throuh the hole
FollowupID: 844718

Follow Up By:- Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 20:23

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 20:23
Being hit by lighting is quite common on golf courses in the big US of A.
through and running
FollowupID: 844719

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 20:39

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 20:39
"10 Para"
Brian you have a Negative Contact file since May, trying to invent negative fiction to talk yourself out of the best van in Australia.

You have finally succeeded.
We have pulled your File. Now no one is listening or cares. You cannot have a Bushtracker.

Leave us and the Good People of the BOG Site alone... & You can buzz off now..
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844720

Reply By: Deleted User - Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 20:56

Friday, Jul 01, 2005 at 20:56
What does having a negative file mean " and you brought this up not i " does it mean that questions that are asked that can't be answered and so one gets this negative file label, come on Bushtracker "get a life" and have a real good look around.
its nealy fishing season 1st Nov
AnswerID: 566647

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 04:15

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 04:15
Having been laid up sick for a week, i have only just ventured out of bed to check my computer. Our BT is 1998 built, several owners and well travelled. We have taken it on some very corrugated roads, as i am sure did its previous owners. It has been parked out of doors during the wettest May/June in history in our area. Everything is quite dry inside. Recently we met with experienced caravanners who have had various problems including a roof leak with their new vans of other makes; they had thought they would be saving money although a BT was what they really wanted - but it would have been cheaper than what they have been through. Well built, well done BTi.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566648

Our Sponsors