What program is best for photo editing

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 05:44
ThreadID: 122080 Views:6622 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I know that this doesn't have much to do with caravanning, but many of us like taking photographs and now that digital cameras are so popular, I would like to know what is the best program to have to edit photos and play around with them a bit on the computer.
For some time now I have been using "Photo Studio 2000" but recently bought a new Canon camera and that came with "Adobe Photoshop", "Paint Shop Pro" and Digital Photo Proffessional" so I have been playing around trying to learn how to use some of the many features in these programs.

After seeing some of the things that can be so simply done, to photographs, now when I look at photos I will be wondering if it has been doctored or not.

I am just courious what programs others have found very good with their photos.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 06:09

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 06:09
Brian,

Have a look at: http://www.picasa.com/

It's a free download and once installed it is easy to import your photos from other programs. It has a host of editing gizmos and you can send pictures by email direct from picasa without having to bother about attachments.

I find it very easy to use and it seems to be a lot simpler than the program that came with my digital camera (Fuji). Would be interested to hear your opinion.

Cheers Rod.

AnswerID: 566668

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 06:21

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 06:21
Hi Brian and Maragret,
Picasa is pretty good and is a free download, certainly good enough for 95% of what I do ACD, I think that is the name is also pretty good - but not free. For the more advanced - serious editing Paintshop Pro is good but a lot more complex.

Cheers John and the Dragon
AnswerID: 566669

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 09:01

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 09:01
HI Brian - just replied to you on the caravanners forum.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 566670

Reply By: Pixellator - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 09:32

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 09:32
Hello again Brian

I use Adobe PhotoShop Elements v2, which is probably the software that came with your Canon Camera. It is a 'light'version of PhotoShop, which has been a long time professional standard.
I recently bought a book 'The Digital Photographer's Guide to Photoshop Elements' from Photo Continental at Mt Gravatt. I intend to work through this as part of my holiday reading for our upcoming trip. We like to send custom made postcards home to our friends, to make them jealous!
I have also seen lots of smaller publications at the Newsagent's- some come with sample photos etc.
If you want to get any of the better shots printed professionally, I can send you details of a very economical service at Sherwood in Brisbane- a 20 inch by 30 inch print from a 4MB photo file cost $25.00- less than the frame I had it mounted in!

Best wishes
Bob
AnswerID: 566671

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 13:26

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 13:26
Brian,

The full version of Photoshop is wonderful if you have the time and are an enthusiast. What it will do is amazing and there are many good books on how to use it, including visually oriented ones such as the 'Teach Yourself Visually" series. All available from Amazon.com who deliver to Australia very efficiently and much cheaper than local bookstores. They also have a version for Photoshop Elements.

Doug.
AnswerID: 566672

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 17:33

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 17:33
My own requirements for photo editing have been fairly limited - I might occasionally want to brighten a photo, slightly amend the hues, or perhaps crop the photo to a smaller size. My daighter, who has a lot of experience in this area and also completed a web design course, warns that it is often a waste of time editing the colours too much, because a photo will often look completely different on different monitors - so unless a photo is really "way off", I don't edit them at all except for printing, as her advice has proven to be correct.

For me, the greater challenge is organising photos, and indexing and arranging these in such a way that they all make sense when we sort though them later. For that purpose, Adobe Photo Album (not to be confused with Photo Shop) is quite efficient and has a simple range of of editing features which meet my needs.

Cost, I think, is about $100 and is very easy to use (but the latest version only runs on XP, not previous versions of WIndows).

Phil
AnswerID: 566673

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 17:51

Sunday, Jul 03, 2005 at 17:51
I thought that there would be a few others that like playing around with photos like I do.
The copy of Photoshop that came with the camera is Photoshop Elements 2 which I understand only has some of the features of the PhotoShop 7 full version. I saw Havey Normans are selling Photoshop Elements 3 now ($175) so my new program is already out of date.

I will have a look at the program that was mentioned earlier to down load, but now that I am in reply mode I cannot see who sent it or what the name of it was.

Thanks for your replies.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 566674

Our Sponsors