treg hitches

Submitted: Monday, Jul 04, 2005 at 23:47
ThreadID: 122084 Views:4304 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi wondering what techniques/tricks peoiple use to get the pin in & out of their treg hitch

to get it out we position the van ( chock the wheels as required ) put on the hand brake wind down the jockey wheel until it takes enough of the load to raise the van enough such that the van treg receiver is mid way between the top & bottom plates of the vehicle part of the treg ie a small gap top & bottom disconnect every thing & pull the pin up some times it slips out easily sometimes it comes part way sometimes an amount of grunting helps obviously the pin is binding caused by the vehicle position but how do you get the last couple of mm relaxation to get the pin out easily every time

to get the pin in we line up the vehicle /van usually within 20 mm or better use the jockey wheel for fine adjustment again sometimes easy sometime not so easy ( its not really hard ) but what are the finer points we are missing ???

cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 00:44

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 00:44
Hello Stephen and Deborah,
This was already written to be a TIP # ?? in the Future, so you get a sneak peek..
The Bull Rush is on for some reason, massive Orders since about Thursday thru today, pent up demand being released I guess.. But I am so busy, I will just be able to print it to you now in it's Rough Draft... Please review it and get back to me if it is not refined enough to help you, OK?

HOOK AND UNHOOK EZ, THE SECRETS:
To hook up: It is a bit of an "Art Form". You bring the hitch up alongside the part on the ball mount part on the car. You bring it up to the level position alongside, never try and back the tow vehicle into the hitch, as that is too hard, just back up alongside. Then crank up the hitch to the perfect matching level and use the Power Jockey wheel to move it over the couple of inches to mate it up.

If the final alignment is wrong by a little bit front or back, once you are mated in so you can slip in the pin, then you can use the handle to swivel the JW to make any front and back alignment with a 45 degree cant on the JW to move it over and forward or reverse to fine tune the mate of the two so the pin slips in... Have a play with that...

On the hitch, if you are fighting it to disconnect, it is not in "Nuetral". There is a bit of a knack to feeling it out to get it into the nuetral position. You have to crank it up until your suspension on the vehicle is relieved of the load, and you can tell that by feeling the tiny bit of play in your ball mount (the piece that slides into the receiver on your vehicle...). If you have any play, and most do, you can feel it move as the car suspension is unloaded and you start to lift the ball mount from the downward loaded to the upward loaded position..... If you are straight on, and in a nuetral loaded position, the pin should just fall out....

Now at an angle, there is a bit more to it, as lateral (sideways) force can be loaded on the pin as well.. Use your power jockey wheel in that situation to rock the van sideways as you pull the pin with the other hand... But first make sure you are in the nuetral unloaded position, and then rock the van in a lateral fashion to free up any sideways loading... Yes it will take a bit of practice to get good at it, as with anything, "Perseverance Furthers"...

The only problems come in disconnecting in the rough terrain when you have unknown loading or torque on the hitch and the pin is stuck... Yes, stop that bad language, and learn the tricks.. Ha! The hitch is relieved of the lateral torque much the same way with the Power Jockey wheel... You can put your finger on the base of the ball mount where it slides into the receiver and feel when the van is in a neutral position as the ball mount shaft starts to just move with a mm or so play in the housing of the receiver on the tow vehicle... When it is in a neutral weighted position, it is just a matter of rocking the van sideways with the Power Wheel to relieve the torque and the pin should come free to remove it...

As with horses and most things, once you understand the language, it’s not so hard…

Kind Regards, from da "Ranger" at Bushtracker

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566677

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 01:25

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005 at 01:25
Oh, and sorry, but it is not a "Treg"... At last look, Treg only went to 2250kg.. This hitch is AT-35 and 3500kg rated... Regards, stg
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844736

Our Sponsors