Places to see in SE Qld

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 22:57
ThreadID: 122093 Views:3950 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi.
We are going down to Brisbane next week for a mixture of business, fun, family and some additions to the BT and will come home via northern NSW, Texas, Roma, Canarvon Gorge, Emerald, Charters Towers then home to Mission Beach. If anyone has any suggestions of things to see and good spots to camp we would love to here about them.
Cheers
Peter & Lyn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 23:21

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 23:21
Hi Peter and Lyn,
We thorougherly enjoyed a few days at Tinnanbar - small coastal place 12 k off the Tin Can Bay to Maryborough road. Probably only about 30 - 40 houses there, no shops and a very nice little park right on the water. The only supplies are from the CP kiosk, frozen bread, milk, fishing tackle and bait - all the essentials of life.

Tin Can Bay was good too - very nice (Top Tourist) park just off the main road (RHS) on entering town. Great beach at Paradise Bay and you can camp under the Casuarina trees right on the beach at Inskip point - which is also a ferry access point to Frazer Island

Mapleton - about 15 kms 'above' Nambour is a super park called the Lilyponds - their cabins were spotless and management fell overthemselves to help. They have a wireless internet portal and offer free advocado's to residents on a 'take only what you need basis' The drive down from Mapleton to Nabour is great .... but you will need plenty of grunt to tow the BT up there from Nambour.

The drive from Mapleton to Kennelworth is very pleasant and not loaded with traffic. Very good cheese factory at Kennelworth - try before you by - great ice cream too.

Enjoy

John and Jean

AnswerID: 566704

Follow Up By: Kingy - Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 23:40

Thursday, Jul 07, 2005 at 23:40
Thanks for that. The lilyponds sounds like the place to stay while the BT is in for a tune up especially for the wireless internet. A necessity for a part time, sometimes successful share trader and self confessed internet junkie..
Peter
FollowupID: 844752

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 00:46

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 00:46
Hello "Internet Junkie" Peter,
This is my backyard, and all the way out to Springsure on the way to Emerald, well explored with 4x4 Clubs, on my own, then with Bushtracker, and finally back with Horses... Ha!

If you speak with me here, when you visit, and pull out a map, I will be able to assist you with some interesting destinations you might otherwise drive by...
For instance on the south side of Kennilworth, there are two great spots south about 8-10 km to the turnoffs... One is to a massive State Forest and really nice clean creek running camp called Charlie Moreland.... Another is a creek just south of it with a nice campground, and both are likely to be near empty this time of year....

Another example is out around Carnarvon Gorge... You might be a bit disappointed there as the Greenies have just about cut it off altogether... Not sure there is much value there anymore with 5 to 15 even 25 km hikes going in to see anything, all on foot.. Bit of a rough go.... But behind it to the west is a massive, really massive Wilderness from north of Mitchell to Springsure and out towards Augethella, hundreds of kilometres of wilderness with some really great spots in several State and National Parks.... And east of Carnarvon Gorge there are some more... And more Parks, like Expedition National Park, and others, and even outside of Springsure is Ka Ta Mundi dry camp but outstanding Wilderness... And the Rock formations above Springsure are absolutely beautiful from on top...

I have even led expeditions trying to open up some old tracks in passes like the one from "Meteor Downs" Station up along "Skeleton Creek" up from the track west of Rollerston, that has been lost since about 1950... Now it is still on some maps as a 4x4 track, but now only the 4 footed horses could get through... They still mob cattle with horses at last look on "Meteor Downs"...

Check with me and a map when you are here and I will show you some and what to expect and you can better pick your route home... I would be glad to help, OK?

Kind Regards, from the "Last Ranger"...

Outside of Austin, is a Statue with a plaque that reads "One Riot..... One Ranger".... Ha! But I am 150 years too late..
That is why we are playing Cowboys on the "Last Frontier".... Oz...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566705

Follow Up By: Kingy - Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 02:20

Friday, Jul 08, 2005 at 02:20
Will definately get a few X marks the spot from you. Thanks Steve..
FollowupID: 844753

Reply By: Homeboy - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:27

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:27
Hi Peter and Lyn how long are you up there for? We're still in Maroochydore at the moment but starting out on our new adventure in our BT next week. We'll be heading to the Gold Coast briefly so the kids can go to some of the parks but then we'll be staying at Rainbow beach and plan to go over to Fraser Island. Anyway I hope to catch up with you for a drink along the way.

Roy and Sasha
AnswerID: 566706

Follow Up By: Kingy - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 17:07

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 17:07
Hi Roy and Sasha.
We are booked in at BTI next Monday, then the rest of the week parked in front of relatives place at Burliegh and then a week, maybe more meandering home out west. The trip down there will be over the weekend and we will probably stay at the Lilyponds on Sunday and Monday night so if your still around, let me know and a drink and a chat would be good...
Cheers
Peter
FollowupID: 844754

Follow Up By: Homeboy - Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 19:40

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2005 at 19:40
Excellent news I've just sent your a message with our details so I hope you get it.

Sasha
FollowupID: 844755

Our Sponsors