ICE (In Case of Emergency)

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 02:17
ThreadID: 122102 Views:3840 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I received the following good idea a short while ago from a 'rellie' in Kathmandu!

Following the disaster in London . . .

An East Anglian paramedic in conjunction with Vodaphone has launched a national "In case of
Emergency ( ICE ) " campaign.

The idea is that you store the word " ICE " in your mobile phone address
book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be
contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able
to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them.
it's so simple that everyone can do it. Please do.

Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it
won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It
really could help the emergency services in doing their job.

For more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc."

The article about it can be found at www.eastanglianambulance.com/news in an article dated April 2005.

Cheers GBand D

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 02:54

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 02:54
Sounds interesting! There is no mention of the jambed exchanges being a problem such as last weeks disaster? Good for individual incidents though (when in range a call - when not at least a contact number!)
AnswerID: 566730

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 05:56

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 05:56
Might sound good but it has a lot of draw backs, the first being that many people have their mobile phone key pad locked with a password so unless they are concious and can give the password, the ICE is useless.

Secondly and this is from my former job as a Policeman, the last people that are wanted at an accident scene is the relatives. It is far better to get them stabilised and into hospital before relatives are notified by someone who can give the injured persons correct injuries, rather than a passer by at an accident scene ringing the ICE contact and causing unnecessary concern.

My opinion is that this should not be spread around as suggested.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566731

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 08:58

Wednesday, Jul 13, 2005 at 08:58
Yes, lots of sense there! We actively avoided the "truth" about a very serious family operation situation many years ago in order to prevent a 4000 plus K trip by a guenuinely caring inlaw who would have made a long, arduos and basically unsafe "mercy dash" AND been able to do nought to assist when they arrived.
Thus they were able to stay and enjoy a long awaited and well deserved holiday and then attend to assist when the situation became stable.
They were initally furious at us, but realised the fact that they had enjoyed their trip and that they were much more value later on, they forgave us - we think.
FollowupID: 844766

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 12:12

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 12:12
You may all be quite right - I have only recently been forced into owning a mobile phone - through going on the road and still have difficulty driving the bl... thing - maybe its a senior thing. In an emergency I guess whoever get hold of it has (if he/she knows how to use it and unlock it) control of what happens from there on in. I certainly would not advocate rellies or NOK fronting at an accident site, but it make make locating them easier once the crisis has settled.

Regards

John
FollowupID: 844767

Reply By: Agnes Lifestyle - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 19:44

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 19:44
I understand your concern with relatives.
But,
In case of emergency I would certainly want my husband by my side and vice versa. It could be our last moments together. I'd feel cheated if I possibly could have been there.
Dianne.
AnswerID: 566732

Our Sponsors