Beware Brakelock Maybe not Legal?

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 07:01
ThreadID: 122114 Views:3419 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi newbies here Peter & Jennifer.
Having been around the BOG since 2002 there is not much I have not read & tried to comprehend, there are so many fantastic posts with brilliant information for people who want the best caravan that is made. Yes it is, we have been to the factory's twice now, what a wonderful bunch of people, could'nt be more helpful .
Three BOG members still stand out, to Collyn, Anthony, & Steve, many many thanks for your imput, there are lots of other Bog members that I should thank, but as we leave next week to head up to BTI to collect our own BT20 I expect we will meet some of you, maybe at Copeton 2005.
I have not found it hard to distingush between genuine & not so genuine posts.So consequently fully support the second last post.
Yes the Brakelock - Well - Maybe I am wrong or maybe I am right, as I said above we are nearly on the way so I can not wait to get the final answer, so in the meantime just be careful, In all fairness I will post it when I can.
Having read that a new F250 had been stolen a few months back, I decided that some extra security was in order, & having read Caravan & Motorhome No44 I decided on a Brakelock, a very good concept- especially for auto's, where you have to put your foot on the brake in order to get it out of park, & presto for the thief who goes nowhere, & I have no doubt that they work. But as there is no Australian standard that I am aware of, I made inquiries with our Tassie Transport Division, who informed me that it (APPEARS THAT THE DEVICE DOES NOT COMPLY WITH AUSTRALIAN DESIGN RULE (ADR)35/01,CLAUSE 5.1.6.) & therefore my vehicle if one is fitted is NON-ROADWORTHY.
A bit scarry because if non-roadworthy, most likely - no insurance?
So I got back to my supplier, who has offered to refund my money, so that's ok, but also supplied me with some more info, which I have resubmitted to our State Transport Division, from whom I am waiting for a definative answer.
Has anyone found that these days it is very hard to get a answer that is either yes or no, not some mumbo jumbo?
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 18:52

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 18:52
Peter,
My F250 and I think all of the ones that FORD import require you to put your foot on the brake before you can get the Auto gear shift out of PARK. They also require foot on brake to move to and from low range 4WD.

What does the Design Rule that you quoted above state?

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566768

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 21:54

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 21:54
Hi Peter and Jennifer.

Good post and lovely to hear from you both on the forum that you are on your way to pickup.

When we bought our new F250 we had an immobiliser fitted that bore fruit this past week when we had to put our vehicle into the local people for fixing. Rats had eaten through some of the wires and I backed it out of our brother in laws carport and then it went no-where. Despite best efforts we couldn't get the damn thing to move so it sat across their driveway most undecoratively.

I left the key with Peter (brother in law) and headed off to work with the rest of the bunch of keys and he told me later they had to get the CFS truck to tow it to the fixers.

After 3 days of replacing wires etc they still couldn't get the thing started and he rang me in desperation asking if we had a secret cut out switch hidden somewhere in the car. Then the penny plinked. The immobilser sender (tiny little black thing that has to be in DIRECT proximity to the keys) was still on my bunch of keys and so it wouldn't start. We think it has proven its investment already and will do so in future.

We bought the immobiliser through Sound in Motion last year at pickup and I am sure Brian Bugenhagen could give you an up to date price.

Angie
AnswerID: 566769

Follow Up By: Tassie Bushies - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 05:12

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 05:12
Brian - sorry I am still waiting for the design rule info, that it supposedly does not comply with.

Angie - Yes We also, already have a extra alarm immobiliser fitted, the Brakelock device was (maybe because I am just paraniod) & don't want to lose a vehicle like that.
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844782

Follow Up By: Tassie Bushies - Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 07:36

Saturday, Jul 23, 2005 at 07:36
Well I give up.
Still not getting a reply from Tas. Transport I rang them & spoke with the current Manager of Vehicle Standards, who said that they must err on the side of safety as they see it, with the information supplied. So therefore they would not approve my fitting the Brakelock, but if I could supply them with more detail they would review it.
I still reckon they are a good thing,but.
As I said above, it's all to hard I give up, so I am sending it back for a refund.
WARNING - anyone with one fitted you had better check with your insurance that it is listed & that your vehicle is covered.
We are off tomorrow to BTI, so "see ya al at Copeton 2005"
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 844783

Our Sponsors