trips to Cape york & Gibb River Rd

Submitted: Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 02:14
ThreadID: 122125 Views:4474 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there to all who have done these trips would welcome any imfo tips etc on how the van stood up to all conditions
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 03:53

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 03:53
Haven't done Cape York yet, but did the Kimberleys last year including Gibb River Road without any problems. When we travelled over there the Kalumburu Road was far worse than the Gibb River Road.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566797

Reply By: Oldperc - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:11

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:11
a couple of weeks ago just come off the Plenty highway, tanami and Gibb.(about 10 weeks travel)
While many other vans and trailers were falling apart around us we were thankfull we had our BT.
Not one problem. Not even a flat tyre.
Sorry, we did run out of shower water once!!

if you would like more details of some great places to stay (well we thought they were great) etc don't hesitate to email me direct.
we are currently back in darwin and will be heading off tomorrow to be home end of august.

wouldn't recommend travelling any of these roads other than in a BT.

Regards
David

David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 566798

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:32

Monday, Jul 25, 2005 at 20:32
We have done the GRR twice, once in each direction.
Also just about every major back road in Au. including the Tanami, Buchanan, Oodnadatta, Plenty, Gulf etc.
Seen lots of other so called off road vans with major problems but nothing of a serious nature with the BT.
Why not become a full member of the BOG so that you can access the Owners Forum, lots more info there.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 566799

Reply By: Luvntravln - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 07:18

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 07:18
Hi

From happy travellers to happytravellers. We did the Cape all the way to Punsand Bay without any problems to BT or BT installed equpiment. Do not hesitate - it was great!

We did it early in the season before the road was chewed to pieces.

Luvntravln
AnswerID: 566800

Follow Up By: Tassietracker5 - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:37

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:37
Hi

We did the Cape with luvntravln in May/June this year. We travelled from Cairns to Cape Tribulation, thru to Cooktown on Bloomfield Track (very steep in parts but road in good nick). Up to Endeavour Falls, thru to Laura on Battlecamp Rd (very corrogated) and headed north on Developmental Rd right thru to Jardine Rv crossing. Side trip for 2 nights into captain Billys landing on the way nth (rd into Capt Billys fine for van but only van width so cant be passed by anyone). Over Jardine Rv thru to Bamaga (Horray- some bitumen at last) and thru to Punsand Bay.

We went into Weipa on the way home. Road wide and was in the process of being graded when we went thru.

A fantastic experience, even with a 5 yr old and 3 yr old twins!!!! (luvntravln may beg to differ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I believe that luvntravln will post a detailed trip log once they have returned from o/s.
FollowupID: 844794

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:24

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 20:24
Hello all,

Very interested in your thread.....

I'm currently looking at purchasing an off road van and I am interested in just a few of the comments made by Oldperc and by Turist.

You have both commented that you would only travel these roads in a BT and that many other so called off road vans have come to grief. Have you travelled these roads in any other van apart from your BT's and are you able to provide more information about the makes of these particular vans and if possible the types of problems they have experienced......Thats assuming you have spoken with them.

Regards
Romeo_3181
AnswerID: 566801

Reply By: Motley - Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:01

Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 21:01
Some time ago we did a trip with some friends which included the Birdsville Track, western QLD, into NT, then across the Gulf. All told, about 6,000 km of dirt road in the whole trip and much of this was extremely corrugated.

Our friends had a brand new Coromal Outback(?) van. By the end of the trip, our only problem had been a halogen globe popping out of the range hood. In their can, the corrugations had resulted in the compressor lines in the air conditioner had fractured, the fridge motor had snapped its mountings, an auxiliary battery mounted in a forward compartment had slammed its way out of the van through a fibre glass hatch.

Most of the cupboard latches had spring open at some stage, strewing the contents of the cupboard around the van and from memory, at least two cupboard doors had come off their hinges.

At the end of the trip, our friends also found problems with the suspension which required a new suspension to be fitted under warranty.

I realise we are not talking comparison with vans such as Trakmaster, Kedron etc, but what it highlighted to me was the extreme nature of the off road tracks and the toll they can take if a van is not built to take it. I know the first time a saw a Bushtracker in the flesh, I thought it looked like a case of serious over-engineering. 50,000km of towing later, of which at least a third would be off-road (we live in SW Victoria, so it takes a lot of bitumen just to get off road), we are confident that if we can tow a van somewhere then the BT won’t let us down. Having that level of confidence in the van you are towing is worth a lot – I think.
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 566802

Our Sponsors