re stolen vehicle precautions

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 26, 2005 at 19:10
ThreadID: 122130 Views:3822 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi...Pending new BT owner here...

I noticed a thread on page 3 about a stolen F250, and I am not sure if my reply would be lost there...(I am not sure yet how posts on this forum are handled)..., so I am posting it here as well because I feel it could be used as a simple answer to the stolen vehicle problem.

Many years ago (about 1990) I had a custom vehicle that I was petrified would be stolen, so I devised a fuel shutoff that comprised of a magnetically operated reed switch that triggered a solenoid switch in the fuel line...so that if the magnet that was either hidden in the vehicle or in my pocket was not placed at the certain flat horizontal spot on the console, the vehicle would not run...or would run for only 100 meters max...
As far as the magnet falling off goes.... that was taken care of by placing it so that it fitted exactly in a certain spot and would not move unless physically removed..... but it could also be placed in a special spot anywhere on the vehicle.

I hope that gives some folks a few ideas...I do remember that it was very cheap to do at the time.

regards,
foss
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Highfields - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2005 at 07:25

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2005 at 07:25
Hi foss,

I seem to remember that some years ago I had an attachment which I fitted to the battery on the Holden which I had (1964 model) which was attached to the end of the negatative lead and positioned on the top of the battery where it connected to the battery. All you had to do was to turn the knob and it broke the connection to the battery. This made it impossible to start the car until the knob was tightened again. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they still sell these at the local auto electician in Toowoomba and the owner assures me that they are available anywhere. They take about 5 minutes to fix to the end of the negatative cable and attach to the battery.

Mike
AnswerID: 566812

Our Sponsors