Daily distances

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:22
ThreadID: 122132 Views:8411 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,
I did a forum search for daily distances for no result, so apologies if it has been covered in another way.
As current swaggies and tenters, from a trailer unit and with a 19 ft BT on order we wonder at what types of distances folk put in each day.
We realise it is totally an individual and even on an as needed basis, but we have put in the odd 700 - 800k on a "push" when visiting family. This of course is total exhaustion stuff for us with set up and pack drills each end of the travel leg.
We wonder if a 400 - 500 would be be more to the daily max mark with a BT in tow, and wonder how other folk manage long haul trips when they have to do it.
We really are looking forward to just relaxing along and even just pottering here and there and the sooner the better!
Can't wait!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 09:23

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 09:23
Just go with the flow.
We have at times done 7 to 800 k on a day but other days only done 50 to 100 mk.
If you come to a good campsite then stop there, the next one may be awfull.
The trip is ts be enjoyed, the destination is only another nights sleep.
We have learnt over the years never to pass a good campsite even if it is not the destination that you had originally planned for.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 566820

Reply By: F Troop - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 20:08

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 20:08
Hi Mobi,
I'm with Bob my longest days have been 7to 800ks and the shortest, it could be a record 2.75kl's thats right just short of 3 ks not worth hoking up for I hear you say, not true changed location and had a ball for the next 4 days.
If you are doing the big K's you should only be going from A to a B apointment you cant cancill or reshedule for next week.
Bob taught me that last year after the Copeton rally we were camped at the best pub in QLD, Nindygully. and I had to leave for an apointment in Brisiy, ring and cancil says Bob make it next week, I did and learned a good lesson ( if your on a good thing stay )
I now feel that if you are in your version of paridice stay put till you feel its time to move, you will know when that time is right, the next spot is not always greener.

Graham
PS you have to excuse me I cant spell and theres no checker.
AnswerID: 566821

Follow Up By: AlanDi - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 05:01

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 05:01
For those of us who haven't been there, but hope to be heading North again soon, where is Nindygully??
Cheers
Alan
FollowupID: 844799

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 05:25

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 05:25
Nindigully is about 160 km west of Goondiwindi on the Barwon Hwy. Has an amazing pub with the biggest collection of old stockies hats you'd ever see, along with lots of other "Australiana". Nindi is renowned for it's huge New Years eve bash with celebrations taking place outside the pub and down to the banks of the Moonie river. Well worth a visit at any time of the year, plenty of camping space.

Cheers, Rod.
FollowupID: 844800

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 05:33

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 05:33
For FTroopCafe, I meant to mention a great little spell checker is available at: http://www.iespell.com/

It's free and well worth downloading, it will check anything you type.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 844801

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:29

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:29
Got to agree re the camping there. 100's of metres of "Free" Moonie River Bank real estate to choose from. However we were told that it is still an active stock route. So assuming that "Long Paddock Grazing" is still alive and well that way one could have plenty of company on occasions. May just trucks use the road south out of town I am not sure.
Cheers
FollowupID: 844802

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:33

Wednesday, Jul 27, 2005 at 21:33
Yep - sounds good to us. Nice to see what others do. The big pushes are required from time to time and just wondered at what others do in general travel mode when not needing to be at where ever for what ever reason on general outings. Interesting with the stay at the Nindigully spot. Our signature pic "Current Style" is just down the river (300 - 400 metres) from there!
Mind you we are looking forward to NOT having the set up / pack regime currently required each night and morning! We did a wildflower tour of 3250k from Adelaide (home) via Morgan, Yunta, Merty Merty, Innamincka, Birdsville, Calymurna (sp?) Water Hole, Marree etc July last year. 15 Days and were exhausted from it. We wonder at what it may have been like with the BT!
AnswerID: 566822

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 01:10

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 01:10
Because we have family on Melbourne's Mornington Peninsula when we travel down there we usually do it in 3 days from Noosa. Mostly however we would be under 500km if travelling somewhere else.
Have been in Geraldton WA & got called back twice from there for pending deaths of parents. First time took 2 days and 5 hours with camper trailer in tow, the second time took a more leasurely pace of 4 days with BT in tow. (A distance of 4,500 km)
Have also often just travelled a few km if not going somewhere special.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 566823

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 05:18

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 05:18
I agree with Bob. When we picked up the BT, we were in a hurry to get home, so it was up before dawn to leave at first light, and look from a spot to stop just before dusk. Now we want to do holidays - get up when we feel like it (like 7 am), pack up and move on. 3 or 4 hours driving is enough, so we start looking for the perfect camp site. An hour or two later and we will take a less than perfect camp site. Nice to stop early if there are walks to take and/or photos to take. Driving with a big van can be tiring, particularly if on rough and winding roads, so better to stop and enjoy life, and this great country of ours. Enjoy.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 566824

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:53

Thursday, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:53
Daily Travellers,

On our recent loop from Nelson Bay to Adelaide, Dalhousie, Red Centre, Top End and back via Lawn Hill, Longreach & Toowoomba we tallied up 14,911km in 98 days. 50 of those days were non-travelling days, ie a few k's sightseeing, shopping or visiting friends/relatives. So, for the 48 "travelling" days, we averaged 310 km with the longest day of 535 between Augathella and Dalby, the only day we drove into darkness before reaching camp (relative's cotton farm).

We consider a typical good days travelling to be between 300 and 400km and these days usually start around 9 am and we have set up camp by 4pm. This is pretty leisurely, with stops for photos, morning tea, lunch, fuel, toilet and attractions along the route. So, when planning a trip we allow for 350km per day travelling, then add on days we may wish to spend in one place. I like to prepare an Itinerary as it not only gives me (the driver) a feel for the driving tasks, but it familiarizes me with the maps (which I don't get to see much of whilst driving).

The prepared Itinerary carries a warning....."Subject to change at whim anywhere!"....and that's exactly what happened on our recent trip, even though the start day and end day didn't change. As Bob says, when you find a nice spot, stay a while and enjoy it.

By the way, our 100 series V8 Auto, GVM 3 tonnes, towing our 19ft BT, GTM also 3 tonnes, averaged 27.06 l/100km. This compares with an average of 25.6 l/100km on previous trips with the same vehicle, but with tinnie on top. Prior to that we had a 100 series turbo diesel (Dynamic aftermarket without intercooler) which averaged 20.5 l/100km.

Chew that lot over...........Cheers...........Rob and Liz

AnswerID: 566825

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 17:27

Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 17:27
Thank you all for the informative responses - seems most do much like we do already with our current trailer rig - we wondered if things might be more or less for distance ability with a good van in tow as we have never toured with a van. We have towed a 24' Franklin on various occassions from point A to point B over hundreds of k (both flat areas and hills) over the past 15 years but not had the "luxury" of touring with a van.
We now have some great details to "chew over" as we look forward to travel where ever, without the daily camp set up/pack up grind. Sally reckons Ian will have more time to set the Yabby traps, catch some shrimps and catch some fish at each water hole we camp near. Ian reckons Sally will have a MUCH better life with reliable hot water shower and more comfort to relax in and we both look forward to the views from a sheltered Mobile Condominium "bed sitter" in inclement weather. The inside walls of our tent (lovely tent that it is!) are rather dull and boring in wet weather!
Cheers
AnswerID: 566826

Reply By: MattandLana - Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 21:31

Saturday, Aug 06, 2005 at 21:31
Mobi,

We're new BT owners, but on the trip from Brisbane to Perth with our new van we found that travelling times were basically the same as with our Kimberley Kamper. We have an 18' van and a LC 100 factory TD, and except on steep hills it will comfortably cruise at 100ks - after a while we were forgettting we had the van on the back!

So the age old equation remains the same: for each hour you'll make about 100k. If you want to go 750k in a day, that's 7.5 hours on the road plus stoppage time of whatever you prefer.

We don't yet have the luxury of saying we don't care how far we travel, because I still work and can only take a finite period of leave. Being in Perth means a long drive to get anywhere: Kununurra 3200km means 4 x 800km days; Alice 2500km or 3000km depending on which way you go. Then we have to get home again!!

Happy travelling!
AnswerID: 566827

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Sunday, Aug 14, 2005 at 04:15

Sunday, Aug 14, 2005 at 04:15
Hi Mobi Condo,
Do whatever works for you. We have just done three weeks for a total of 870K. Kununurra - Halls Creek and back to Kununurra via the Duncan Highway Usually staying 2-3 days per stop - and almost always on water...... I get grumpy if I cannot see water when lying in bed. The only exception is when I in a goldfield somewhere - then I need to see gold.

Cheers GB&D
AnswerID: 566828

Our Sponsors