A Game For Grandkids

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 15, 2005 at 07:20
ThreadID: 122231 Views:3484 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I'm sure there must be a lot of Grandparents in BT's roaming around OZ.

Here is a game I came up with to let our 4 (so far) grandchildren (in Melbourne) find where we are and give them some interactive fun and some knowledge of the places we visit.
The boys are 4 to 10 and all participate.

I used the Natmap Raster Premium 250,000 scale topographic map computer program and have a fairly basic GPS.
The boys' father also has the map program on their computer.

When we stop, even if only overnight, I send them the grid co-ordinates of our location, either by text message or email.
I have also devised a list of numbered questions that they are to find out the answers to. I send just the numbers along with the coords.
The questions are like ,1. Do we know anyone here? 2. How far from Melbourne is it ? 3. How far have we travelled since our last position ? 4. What is the main industry ,or 5. attraction in this area. etc etc.
You can make up your own.

They also have a large Hema OZ map and have lines and stopover crosses on it.

Apparently they love it and are get real upset if we stay to long as now in "The Land of Strawberries"

I call it "The Find Grandma & Grandad Game"

Have Fun, Spirital Gypsys.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Freewheelers - Friday, Sep 16, 2005 at 03:38

Friday, Sep 16, 2005 at 03:38
What a great idea! Just needs some organising re software and GPS at the receiving end.

We don't have grandkids, and all the kids we know are too young to be parents, but too old for this - have to wait for them to have children.

Is there a prize at the end for the one with most correct answers? No doubt you're gathering all sorts of souvenirs along the way.

Have fun, and thanks for sharing
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567103

Follow Up By: Agnes Lifestyle - Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 20:32

Monday, Oct 10, 2005 at 20:32
Sounds like good fun.
I think the big girls and boys would like to play too.A game for all. Grandma and Grandapa would have to do some resourcing too.
Wish we had won the gps at the ralley.

Dianne
FollowupID: 844940

Our Sponsors