Camping sites

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 17, 2005 at 00:14
ThreadID: 122235 Views:3744 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just returned from four weeks trip, thought I would share information on some of the interesting stop-overs. 'Camps 2' book was used and usually had correct information.
Aspley Falls-Oxley Wild Rivers N.P. is well worth a night. The amenities are new and toilets are now flush type. Parking bays are generous. The scenery is amazing there if one likes gorges and waterfalls.
'Polblue' Barrington Tops N.P. campground is not signposted. The entrance is on the western side of the creek. Plenty of spaces and a good base for walks or unhitched drives.
'Pretty Beach' - Murramarang N.P. near Batemans Bay has a good mixture of sites from an open area with amazing views to plenty of shady spots. The Kangaroo population there is prolific with none showing any fear. Walking and fishing are very good.
If you like wombats I believe one couldn't find a better place than 'Bendeela' in the vicinity of Kangaroo Valley village. Towards sunset we saw appox a dozen. Some were scratching their backs on the Bushtracker's lower step. Late that night they rocked the van a fair bit attending to their itches. This is a large camping area on the banks of the pondage for a power station dam.
Boggy Swamp Creek on the Colo Heights road indicated toilets in 'Camps2'. However there are no toilets. I e-mailed them and the information was appreciated. Philip Procter said it will be amended next issue. It's a small area with a busy traffic flow.
Other sites used were as written and not worth a mention here. Caravan Parks used a ditto.
My Bushtracker performed very well. The upper fridge vent was missing on the third morning's inspection. A replacement was organised and all looks well again. Thank you @ Bushtracker. The clip which holds the vent in place is a dodgy idea I feel. Small and plastic, not the design I would use. Metal would have been a wiser choice.
Economy achieved varied from 15 - 20.7 litres/100Kms depending on the terrain in a Land Cruiser 100 TD. Diesel was usually $1.29 - $1.34 in NSW. Total distance travelled was 5053 Kms.
Although it's embarasing to include here I will for any new van/4x4 drivers. I travelled a gravel road from near Wauchope to Comboyne which was very steep up and down with many curves. I forgot to engage low range with subsequent brake fade on the down hill section. The low gear in high range was not enough engine braking in the auto L/C. From then on in mountainous country I always engaged low range and this gives one more options for less brakes use. All the experienced will be nodding their heads. The brakes cooled enough in the time it took to consume a cold beer.
I hope this info is useful to some, cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Saturday, Sep 17, 2005 at 00:48

Saturday, Sep 17, 2005 at 00:48
Hello Silver Fox,

The picture you sent us is great, of the Wombat scratching his back on the Bushtracker lower step... Look for it on the Website eventually, with some funny logo like "Dual Purpose Bushtracker Lower Step" Ha!!

Thanks for that, it got some laughs in the Office, with us poor sods that cannot make it to Copeton to Party, and have to hold down the Fort....

Happy Trails from the Lone Ranger
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567115

Follow Up By: TRB60 - Sunday, Sep 18, 2005 at 03:15

Sunday, Sep 18, 2005 at 03:15
.Hi silver fox.

Had the same problem with fridge vent, if you remove the vent and remove the centre vertical screw toward the rear of van . drill hole in the vent to match the removed screw, refit vent using longer screw.
FollowupID: 844948

Our Sponsors