Buying a new Bushtracker

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 17, 2005 at 09:48
ThreadID: 122236 Views:4197 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
we are very close to deciding to buy a 21f. Bushtracker. Any helpfull hints, advice etc would be appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Sep 18, 2005 at 00:27

Sunday, Sep 18, 2005 at 00:27
We bought a pre-loved BT; if i had the choice, i would have had a bigger fridge, with separate freezer door, and dual 12 v / 240 v. The fridge is only "caravan size" 12 volt only, and i would prefer larger (other BTs i have seen have a larger fridge). Also ours being an earlier model didn't have 12 volt appliance plugs which we are now having to fit. Otherwise it is just what we wanted.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567116

Follow Up By: TripnTaps - Saturday, Sep 24, 2005 at 08:13

Saturday, Sep 24, 2005 at 08:13
Hi Motherhen,
We went for a 12V system in our van - no inverter as we predominantly bush camp. The only thing I miss is having a blow hair dryer ( still get on the floor to dry my hair even though the Lone Ranger worked out a way I could convert the Webasto into a hair drying subsitute - stand up style.... still trying to talk my other half into that idea!!)

What 12V appliances do you use? Apart from the wired in TV/DVD (oh the luxury of that ... n i c e!!) we only use the 12V for charging our phone and other batteries - computer/camera.

And to Barrie, I consider a must have in new van planning is the Webasto with it ducted into the ensuite great for drying off clothes and towels and keeps you toasty warm when needed and in outback or in the mountains you will use it more often than you think. And if you are planning to bush camp more than be on 240V power consider putting an outlet up high for hair drying... presuming you have either a lady to share your BT or a good head of hair or both!! ha ha

It might sound excessive, but I know of more than one van where us girls do dry our hair kneeling on the floor!!!

Cheers,
Helen
FollowupID: 844949

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Sep 24, 2005 at 08:43

Saturday, Sep 24, 2005 at 08:43
Hi Helen, I plan to run the laptop off the inverter, and it is much quicker than 12 v for charging phone and other batteries. We are setting up TV on 12 volt, and would like to get a 12 fan for hot nights, rather than keep topping up the generator for the air con.

We haven't been in the cold country with the BT yet, but think the Webasto would be a great idea. When travelling, i wash my hair (which is quite long) at our occasional caravan park stops, or a servos with showers (usually $3), so it dries in the car while travelling, so hadn't thought about hair driers! I can recall in my youth on a cruise liner standing on a chair with my head up against the ceiling air conditioner - cold, but the best hair dryer we had at the time (soon bought a real one). Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 844950

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Sep 19, 2005 at 16:50

Monday, Sep 19, 2005 at 16:50
Barrie,
Once you have Ordered and are on the Schedule board, that qualifies you to join the Owner Forum.... A large number of them are at the BOG Rally at Copeton, last year there were 68 vans there. Anyway, when you do take the plunge, you might Post this on the Owners Forum, as you will have plenty of time to get a long list of suggestions while your van is being built. Your Order does not cast you in stone, and only starts the three months of Coaching we give you. Your biggest drama will be sifting through the suggestions to see which ones are valid to suit your particular needs...

When the Rally is over, there will be a lot more Boggers back to answer you. But I would expect it to be a bit quiet for the next couple of weeks until they get back to the Internet ....

Regards from the "Lone Ranger"....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567117

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Wednesday, Sep 21, 2005 at 17:16

Wednesday, Sep 21, 2005 at 17:16
Barrie,

One word of advice when deciding to look at the options available and posting a question in this forum is that Boggers love spending other people's money!!!!!

Be careful, you have been warned (wink)

Angie
AnswerID: 567118

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Sep 21, 2005 at 18:31

Wednesday, Sep 21, 2005 at 18:31
Yeah Angie!!

And also Barrie, da Ranger is here trying to keep you from overloading your wagon.... You can bet he will tell you more than once, if you are trying to load up on too much unnecessary stuff !!!

If you sink too deep in da BOG, we will have to throw you a couple of ropes ta hook up so we can pull you out!!! Ha! LOL

You got no worries, the "Lone Ranger" is here tryin ta look afta ya!!!
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567119

Our Sponsors