television location

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:19
ThreadID: 122245 Views:3971 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi fellow bushtrackers,

We are picking up our 18' van in December (can't wait) and are trying to decide where to mount our TV and its swing arm. One option is to mount it on the side of the fridge facing the bedroom. The second option is to mount it on the other side of the fridge above the side bench. The 3rd option is to have a portable TV mount so we can use it in the annex as well. We have an island bed and cafe lounge which is opposite the side bench mentioned above. Would appreciate any feedback you may have.

Regards Robyn and Al
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andy1 - Thursday, Sep 22, 2005 at 18:22

Thursday, Sep 22, 2005 at 18:22
Robyn & Al

We have just fitted a TV arm (Camec Product 1510-052 LCD LGE WALL SWINGARM 10KG) in our 18' BT. Being a retrofit job meant we had to pull out the fridge to fit a wooden plate to support the arm. It seemed to us that this plate had to be fairly substantial so we filled the top section (sink side) with a 19mm sheet & tied this into the bench top. The arm will allow you to watch from either the lounge or bed.

We were not sure how to best support the TV for travel so while the fridge was out fitted a couple of blocks so that we can fold the TV against the fridge canopy above the sink area & lock it into position against a foam layer.

If you are thinking of going down this path it would pay to talk to BT and they may fit the arm for you unless you want to pull the fridge out yourself, not that this is a problem. At the same time you can then insulate the fridge compartment & fit a couple of computer fans at the top vent, this latter really helps both the fridge and power consumption when bush camping in the tropics.

Andy
AnswerID: 567158

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Sep 23, 2005 at 03:28

Friday, Sep 23, 2005 at 03:28
Andy, we are just looking at TV swing arms for LCD TV. I have looked at the CAMEC website but that number is not showing in their catalogue. Would it be easy for you to either email me a photo or two of it, or post photos in the Album on this site? Even a drawing woud be helpful. We also have a problem re-inforcing to fit, as the wall we need to use is against the shower. Don't fancy pulling that one apart! How are you planning to lock the screen in place for travel? Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 844970

Follow Up By: Andy1 - Friday, Sep 23, 2005 at 15:55

Friday, Sep 23, 2005 at 15:55
Motherhen

Look in Section 15 (TV Equipment) of the on-line Camec catelogue - there is an illustration.

Our locking device falls into the "crude but effective" category. A wooden block on the wall top & bottom with foam sealing strips (Bunnings) attached to both the wall & the blocks against which the TV fits snugly. It is held in place by two wooden strips also with foam which are locked with wing nuts - the bolts for these nuts are in the wooden blocks.

The whole setup is a bit bulky, it is made out of silk oak varnished with bevelled edges so does not look too out of place particularly as we are fitting a holder, also silky oak, just under the cupboard so that the Satellite Decoder Box will stay in place & wired as it is a real nuisance setting it up each time.

Andy

Andy
FollowupID: 844971

Reply By: Freewheelers - Friday, Sep 23, 2005 at 03:21

Friday, Sep 23, 2005 at 03:21
hi robyn & al
we have a 20 fter with same configuration as you
we opted to mount the tv arm on the bed side so you can watch tv while some is using the bench (the sink is beside the fridge in our case ) or if you are lying on the bed you can watch tv without blocking the passageway the arm from sound in motion is excellent very manouverable & yes bti do reinforce the mount location so select a location so bti can do thier thing even if you retrofit later
although watching from the cafe is not square on as it would be if you mounted from on the bench side it is not an issue cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567159

Reply By: Goodpal50 - Friday, Sep 23, 2005 at 05:27

Friday, Sep 23, 2005 at 05:27
Hi Robyn and Al,

we havea an 18 ft Bushtracker with the TV arm mounted mounted on te side of the fridge facing teh Bed. That way you do not run the risk of any water being splashed from teh sink onto it. It has worked well for us where it is.

We had a quick release mounting bracket fitted by Sound in Motion with the LCD Panasonic TV. The TV locks on with a keyed lock. When we want to use it outside we undo the lock and hook the TV onto the top edge of the waterproof door. It makes a great mount.

We had aerial/RCA sockets and 12volt power outlets fitted outside next to the door ( above the warterproof door) that we plug the TV into and also external speaker sockets (if you want stereo sound from either the TY or the CD/Radio). Brian at Sound in Mootion can help yopu with all this, but you need to have the aerial/RCA and power wiring put in while the van is being built.

Hope this helps.

I don;t know where you are but we are in Sydney and if you would like to see our setup plese drop me an email with your contct details to mikemarg@bigpond.net.au

Mike and Margaret
AnswerID: 567160

Our Sponsors