Comparison between Caprice & Swift Stove/Ovens

Submitted: Friday, Sep 30, 2005 at 23:32
ThreadID: 122259 Views:3811 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have a Caprice Stove/Oven fitted in our van and have never really been happy with the heat output of the hot plates, the grill that is next to useless and the oven that does not get anywhere near the temperature that the litrature says it gets to.

I know almost all new Bushtracker Caravan are fitted with the Swift 500 Series of stoves and there have been several people who have swapped from the Caprice to Swift stove.

My enquiries so far indicate that both stoves are the same physical size and the only differences is the manner in which the gas pipes are fitted and that the Swift requires a 12 volt power source for the auto ignition.

We would be interested to hear comments from owners who have changed from the Caprice to the Swift stove as to the differences in there performance and if they consider the cost involved was worth the effort?

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Saturday, Oct 01, 2005 at 00:45

Saturday, Oct 01, 2005 at 00:45
Hello Brian,
To answer this for everyones benefit, is a good idea, so here goes the results..
We have had more than a little experience with both, as I suppose you might guess.... Ha! ....LOL

Our "K.I.S.S." Engineering Study was to fill a cold tea pot and run it on the small burner on each stove for a timed test, and run it to a "whistle boil".... The results were very unimpressive... Swift was 25 seconds faster over the Caprice… And on the large burner, it was only 58 seconds faster… Not enough of a difference to justify costs of a retrofit, in our minds..

However, there are advantages of the new stove in that is it proving to be more robust on severe corrugation, and has an adjustable height in the griller, a bigger burner in the griller, two shelves in the oven over the one, and electronic ignition… Hmmm….

Looks are on a par, and disadvantages? You have question cost to do a proper retrofit, at $1350 installed, plus $100 wiring, and there is a price rise coming through soon…

Myself, unless budget is not an issue, it is hard to justify the costs to retrofit…. Yes it is better, but is it $1450 worth?? That, each individual will have to question for themselves...

Regards from the Ranger at Bushtracker
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567192

Our Sponsors