TIP # 71 New CHIP for 100 Series TD Cruiser RECORD FUEL ECONOMY! A MUST READ!

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 19, 2005 at 16:57
ThreadID: 122293 Views:12262 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
PRIVATE EMAIL DISCLOSURE REPRINT HERE: A MAJOR IMPROVEMENT IN FUEL ECONOMY REPORTED… Hello all of you Future Boggers, that are not in the Schedule yet or not Owners yet, and so cannot get into the Owners Forum…. The Ranger here... And I told you that if there was anything important on the Private Owners Forum that you should know about, I would put it here…. So you are not "Missing Out" as some worried. Well here are bits and pieces of a Thread on the Owners Forum, and Private Email to me, and I got permission from the Party to reprint his Posting as well as his Private Email and confirmations…. "A Major Breakthrough for 100 Series TD Landcruiser on Towing Fuel Economy"

Hi Ranger,

I have been reading some terrible figures on fuel economy but I will share some information with you. I had a computer chip fitted by Diesel Care in Toowoomba and they used my vehicle to test the result. The chip is new to Australia but is used extensively in Europe on an enormous number of vehicles over a lot of years. We found that the torque went up by about 37% and the power by about 30% and as you can imagine this made an incredible difference to performance. We had to muck around with the settings (which they can do with a Dynometer and a lap top computer) so that the chip came in at a low rev. The Cruiser has a flat torque curve from about 1600 revs through to 2700 revs and it cruised at about 1950 revs at 100 KPH so there is no point in having the chip start to perform at say 2400 revs as you do not use revs that high unless you drive at Sandown Park. We set it after testing to come in about 1650 revs and the difference was amazing.

The bottom line is that the vehicle now does 9.8 litres/100 kilometres on the open road and 10.8 litres/100 kilometres around town. The consumption when towing the BT empty is 13 litres/100 kilometres. The reason for the low consumption is two fold. Reason one is that I do not have a heavy foot but I do drive at the highway speeds without the van - say 105 to 110 kilometres/hour and the second reason is that I tow the van at 90-95 kilometres per hour in 4th gear. I found that 5th gear was working the gear box too hard and the fuel consumption was increased by 2.5 litres per 100 kilometres.

Hello Mike,
And all Boggers, Lone Ranger here, THIS REPORT IS OUTSTANDING AND WAY ABOVE THE HUNDREDS OF FIGURES FOR THE TD CRUISER TOWING...

Mike, your fuel economy is absolutely outstanding, and your Chip is doing wonders.... Towing at 13 litres per 100k is 7.69 km per litre.... The Factor to calculate miles per gallon is Km per litre X 2.83...... Using this formulae, your mileage towing your Bushtracker is 21.76 miles per gallon?????

You either hold the record for a Turbo Cruiser towing, or I have done some goof... Please either review your figures, or mine.... Or else everyone with a TD Cruiser needs to stand up and notice, because your Fuel economy is the best ever reported with a larger van....

There must be more to this, or it is early and I am doing some blue, or you had a heck of a tailwind, something is highly irregular or EVERYONE WITH A TD CRUISER SHOULD LINE UP FOR THIS CHIP......!!!! This is the best report ever reported to me on fuel economy for the TD Cruiser....

Kind Regards from da Ranger, tryin to look after everyone.....

Hello Ranger,

Yes, the fuel economy is outstanding as you say but the figures are accurate. The fuel consumption whilst towing was when I towed the van empty from your factory to Toowoomba so whilst I may have had a tail wind (and I don't recall having one) I also went up 2,300 feet in altitude as the last time I looked you lived at sea level and I lived on mountain!!! As an example of consumption with the vehicle not towing and with only me in it, I went to Brisbane from Toowoomba and return last week. I filled up at "Rustys" roadhouse half way to Brisbane then drove on to Brisbane to the Wesley Hospital on Coronation Drive then I returned to Toowoomba. I did 198 km and used 19.8 litres of fuel. This was after some city driving and climbing back up the range to Toowoomba. I drove at 105 to 110 km/hr on the open road so you figure the figures and see if there is a mistake.

Since then I have crossed checked the fuel usage on 4 other occasions and I keep getting the same results. I find the figures amazing as well but the installer of the chip at Diesel Care explains it this way - fuel usage is based on the amount of distance that the pump is opened and with the extra power generated by the chip the pump is barely opened. I can feel that with the vehicle when I am driving as my foot is barely pressing the accelerator when cruising and the vehicle feels like it has a large V8 motor in it. Remember that the chip is set to come in to maximum power at 1650 revs so I am getting the maximum increase early. ALSO I DO NOT HAVE A BIG FOOT AS I DO NOT WANT TO BE THE FIRST ONE TO THE NEXT SET OF LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will keep you posted on the results of trips as they occur. You may even have to get rid of the Mack as a result?????
************************************************************************************
Mike
Yea Mike, I will be keeping the Mack 4x4 Horsetruck, until I can get a tonne of fuel, a tonne of tools, a tonne of water, a tonne of tack, and five horses into a Turbo Landcruiser…. And of course still tow my 22’ Bushtracker loaded up with 8 tanks of water…. Ha!
In the words of “Big Jake”…. John Wayne: “That ‘ll be the day….”

**************************************************************************************
Peter,
the "Lone Ranger" here,

Look, the first reply in your thread is about the average of the 100-200 reports back to me.... Sort of the 12-13-14 miles per gallon as a middle ground average..
OldPerc has responded with about 5km per litre X 2.83 = 14.15 Miles per gallon.. Others might get a little less, but maybe with heavier foots and bigger hurry....

That is pretty good.... But read the previous Posting from Michael on "Air Suspension, Tyre Pressures, and Fuel Usage."... He has reported a CHIP and I mean private email confirms the CHIP IS IT !! For fuel economy on a TD Cruiser... He holds the record with this chip added on, at nearly 20 miles per gallon... That is fantastic!!!! I would pursue this if I were you...

**************************************************************************************
Highfields posted this followup

There are a number of these types of chips on the market but the beauty of the one which I put on is that it seemed to create greater power, it can be turned off and on when on the go and can be geared to come in at less revs. All of these points are important and the price is the same for all units. As far as I know, Diesel Care in Toowoomba (and branches) is the sole importer. I was very impressed with the service which they gave me even to the point of flying out from Europe a rep of the manufacturer to oversee the final installation of my unit.

I can only stress that it is important to make sure that the unit comes on to full thrust at about 1600 to 1700 revs (assuming that you have a 100 series Turbo Diesel). All of the installers do not take into consideration the cruising revs of the vehicle and tend to concentrate on bringing in the maximum thrust too high in the rev range when it not usable unless you are driving at 150 kph in overdrive or are climbing up a steep hill or suchlike. In fact, you need it to come in earlier and to remain in so that the momentum is not lost.

You are right that it helps to stop gear hunting but I find that with automatic it is better to drive in 4th and you will find that it remains in that gear for most of the time and rarely drops down unless under extreme load.

Mike

Regards from the Ranger... Out Scouting the trail for a better way... Always...

Semper Fidelis
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fosssil - Wednesday, Oct 19, 2005 at 18:22

Wednesday, Oct 19, 2005 at 18:22
Hi folks...here is a very good conversion site, for those who don't have one....also remember that US Gallons are smaller than ours were, and British Gallons are...
I have been looking at many overseas heavy duty truck sites lately and its handy to have for doing conversions for fuel, distance and power and torque...etc

foss

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/fuel

Fuel Consumption and all conversions online
AnswerID: 567318

Reply By: Cowcockies - Thursday, Oct 20, 2005 at 08:21

Thursday, Oct 20, 2005 at 08:21
We are finding our Jeep Grand Cherokee powered by a 2.7 litre 5 cylinder intercooled common-rail Mercedes diesel. Torque 400 Nm @ 1800-2600 rpm is giving a fuel economey with out any modifications at 90-95 klm/hr of 17.6ltrs//100klm
Towing our 20ft BT, our total rig weight is 5.68 tonnes fully loaded.
Car economey on the open road is 9.6ltrs/100klm.
The new model Jeep with the 3 litre V6 Mercedes diesel, torque 510Nm @ 1600-2800 rpm which is supposed to be even more economical than ours at a considerably cheaper new price than a new Landcruiser looks to us to be an interesting option.
Europen diesel technology seems to leave the rest of world behind at the moment.
David & Sue
AnswerID: 567319

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Oct 20, 2005 at 16:50

Thursday, Oct 20, 2005 at 16:50
Hello Cowcockies,
First of all, I am thinking of getting a small herd together, very small, just to keep the excess grass under control and have a bit of fun with... Are you really Cowcockies? You would have to be... Ha! Anyway, thinking of a dozen that I know of, hand tamed DroughtMaster cross Santa Gertrudis Heifers about 15 months old that come when called, and the same party has an 18 month old Pet, hand tamed Brahman Bull, to drop ten or so calves a year for roping and Team Penning and such.... for Reining and Western QuarterHorses, How Zat Sound???

Now on to my interest in the new Jeep!! I wanted to get your help on the cattle before I piss you off entirely with my comments on the Jeep... Ha! Love it!! But I have always had some reservations about them as a major tow vehicle when every one that I have seen had a "Uni-body" construction, meaning no chassis. That meant that almost no one has any heavy duty suspension upgrades for it to load up extra tanks, winches, cargo and such, and load up a larger van...??? The problem comes when you want (A Major safety issue here) a "Firm Handling Control and Ride" for extreme swerve control ability at high speed on the highway to avoid an accident, with a van on the back... There are gross limitations with what you can do with a vehicle with no chassis, when an extreme manouevre saves a hazard.. Now if the new Jeep is getting a chassis, and if you can get some upgraded springs for firm handling at high speed, GREAT !!!.... But if not, the Ranger still has a little hesitation to recommend it to others anywhere up there in the top three of American Trucks, Toyota, or Nissan.... I do not mean to offend, or hurt your feelings, but for the benefit of others, this needs some further consideration due to the suspension upgrade safety handling at high speed ability... OK? Anyway, if I am wrong please enlighten me.. And if there are improvements in the Chassis of the new Jeep, great, I would love to see one... So if you get one, come by and show it off, but I always had some safety reservations on them.

On Euro Diesels, yes they are miles ahead... My Mack has a Euro 3 diesel in it... Full time 4x4 Dual Cab, loaded up my 22' van on the back, I am 19 metres long and about 18 tonne with 1000 litres of water, 1500 litres of fuel, 5 horses, and 4 tonne or better of cargo... And a little bitty 6.5 litre Euro 3 engine does the job...! Mind you it is a massive 6cyl engine, but only displaces 6.5 litres! I get 3 to 3.25 km per litre, there are petro Landcruisers getting that !

Kind Regards, and I hereby Nominate you to be my JEEP RESEARCH TEAM... Ha! Tell me if I am wrong, and enlighten me, and I would LOVE TO bump Jeep up a notch on the list of recommended tow vehicles OK?

The Lone Ranger, always scouting for a better way.....
Semper Fidelis

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845081

Follow Up By: Rockgoc - Thursday, Oct 20, 2005 at 21:07

Thursday, Oct 20, 2005 at 21:07
Yeeeehaaaarrrrr! REALLY fresh meat at the O.K. corral (read Bushtracker's factory yard!) When's the BBQ Steve?
FollowupID: 845082

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Friday, Oct 21, 2005 at 02:40

Friday, Oct 21, 2005 at 02:40
Alright Jan O the famous SSAA Sheila, and Easy, alias Sam Elliot...

Enough already.... These are PETS... I will buy you a steak that comes from sanitized white pans wrapped in clear wrap... YOU DON'T REALLY THINK MY DAUGHTERS WOULD EAT THEM!!!! No, they will eat someone elses.. Ha!

Like the City Girl that was interviewed on National Television about the plight of the Farmers out west in the drought.... She says "Oh, it's too bad about the Farmers, but I'm not really worried, I buy my food at Coles"....

Regards from the Lone Ranger,

Semper Fidelis

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845083

Reply By: Cowcockies - Saturday, Oct 22, 2005 at 07:36

Saturday, Oct 22, 2005 at 07:36
Yes Steve we are serious cow cockies 550 cows most of the bull power is in a liquid nitrogen tank and we “saddle up” the 4 wheel Hondas to do around up. Technology has a lot to answer for.
The new Jeep is a Uniframe, we made extensive enquires before hitched our BT behind our 2004 model. Several experts assured us that a Jeep is built like a tank, including Hayman Reese regional technician who fitted the weight distribution hitch. The well built Uniframe technology is now considered at least equal to chassis construction and is safer because it can incorporate crumple zones like most modern cars.
We have been towing an off road camper van, a boat and a tandem stock trailer with Jeeps without any problems for the last 11years. We acknowledge its load limitations and see it as an option for those that don’t want to take a boat etc, etc. Our boat is 24ft trailer sailer so it is either boat or the van.
As for the suspension we owned a one ton Landcruiser tray top years ago, it was a darned uncomfortable ride and gave us the biggest scare we have ever had towing when the animals in the trailer moved back on a long down hill run. The vacuum trailer brakes weren’t adjusted high enough (shows how long ago it was) I found it impossible to over ride the adjustment and fight to control the extreme swaying at the same time.
Since that episode we have the trailer (van) brakes adjusted as high as possible with out sliding the wheels, adjusting to suit the road surface. We believe and hope we are right that BTs have a very good suspension and excellent brakes and try to drive carefully as any good prime mover driver should, when the prime mover weighs less than the trailer, it does not matter if it is a car and caravan or a road train the trailer brakes keep the rig under control in extreme situations.
We are sure we could debate towing with you round a camp fire all night, chew a steak and empty a glass or two. As all our cows are Jerseys and not perceived to make good eating, we know whose got the steak.
David and Sue.
AnswerID: 567320

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Oct 23, 2005 at 06:30

Sunday, Oct 23, 2005 at 06:30
David,
What are the manufacturers maximum Tow Weight, Ball Weight and combined vehicle and trailer weights for the Jeeps?
Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 845084

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 00:05

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 00:05
Thank you Cowcockies! On the Jerseys, you are right, we won't eat any milk cows, Ha! But you know where veal comes from.... So we wouldn't go too hungry either...

Look in all seriousness, thank you for the positive report on the Jeeps.. I will have to take another look at them for recommendations, when the new model comes out... I used to voice my reservations, due to the lighter towing capacity (2500kg) of the not so late model ones, and the availability of only petrol models, so they never really made the top tow vehicles list with those disadvantages and the uni-body incorporated chassis... I will look again at the specs on the new model, thanks again and keep me informed, you are now Nominated as my Jeep Research Team... Ha!

Happy Trails from the Ranger

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845085

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 03:06

Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 03:06
Hi can we get back to the original topic pls. Could we have more onfo on the chip?

Precisely how does it work; what does it do to the turbo speed and exhaust gas temps; what is the cost; contact details on the supplier etc.
Does it invalidate the Toyota warranty?

This looks almost unbelievable relative to all other chips etc and further info would be greatly appreciated before we trail up to Towoomba.
thanks.
AnswerID: 567321

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 00:46

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 00:46
Hello RAW,
Don't know who you are, so we will have to stick to our Bog "Handle"...
OK, back to the Topic, we were just havin some fun...
Look, in all fairness, you need to contact them direct (Diesel Care in Toowoomba (and branches) is reportedly the sole Importer.) The problem is that specifics may vary with the year and model and such of your Cruiser, and you should get it straight from the "Horses Mouth" so to speak... That way there are no errors....

If you have a specific question for "Michael" on performance, and are not a Member of the BOG to contact him directly, send me the Email and I will forward it on to him... But in all fairness you need to go to the Source of the Chip for the answers... OK?

Regards from the Ranger, up on ridges tryin to look afta ya!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845086

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 05:44

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 05:44
thanks Steve,

happy to go direct, but thought as Michael obviously was very impressed with the outcome and given it was so dramatic, he might know how and why.

regards RAW
AnswerID: 567322

Follow Up By: Croozer - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:14

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:14
Contact DieselCare in Dalby, 4669 9150, ask for Gavin, (email: gavin@dieselcare.com.au) he's the guy who installed and calibrated the unit mentioned at the top of this thread. I spoke to him last week regarding the fitment of a P-Box to my turbo Cruiser. Whilst he has a product to sell, he agrees that the numbers mentioned above are "amazing".

Kev.
FollowupID: 845087

Follow Up By: Croozer - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 16:23

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 16:23
Oops! Forgot to mention the installed cost is around $1,400.00.

Kev.
FollowupID: 845088

Reply By: Cowcockies - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005 at 07:20

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005 at 07:20
Brian
Reply to your Query , 2.7 Litre Diesel. Tow weight :- 3500kg Ball weight :- 350kg Kerb tare :-1866kg Gross vehicle 2495kg.
3 Litre Diesel Tow weight :- 3500kg Ball weight:- 327 Kerb tare:- 2142 kg
Gross vehicle:- 2750kg
Regards David.
AnswerID: 567323

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005 at 21:42

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005 at 21:42
Hello Bushtracker/Jeep R&D Team!

Sounds like the Jeep is lifting its game, in a four door diesel wagon it sounds like they are a "Player" now, not just the Japanese or Pome revenge as the only choices... Ha! LOL, have a laugh at us all in the world...

Anyway, we will be interested in any towing reports on the new Diesel Jeeps trying out towing larger vans... Please send them to www.bushtracker.com..... Particularly any sucessful suspension firming tips and experiences... Kind Regards from the Mad Scientist at Bushtracker....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845089

Our Sponsors