Generator

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 01, 2005 at 22:16
ThreadID: 122306 Views:4502 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Could anyone recomend brand and size for a generator to run the air conditioner in a 18ft BT the van is 2004 vintage

Regards Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kalgoorlie Escapee - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2005 at 23:44

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2005 at 23:44
Honda 20i without a doubt. Shold be able to get one for under $2k. Rated at 2Kva but no issues running the whole van.
AnswerID: 567365

Reply By: Motley - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2005 at 04:11

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2005 at 04:11
Agree with recommendation re Honda Eu20. It fits in the under bed compartment and is super quiet. It JUST manages the peak load of the Air Conditioner on start up and then it's OK. As to running whole caravan, I'm not sure about that. Running air conditioer and boiling an electric kettle or running a bread maker at the same time are definite no-nos
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567366

Reply By: Pal & Sop - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2005 at 07:12

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2005 at 07:12
Keith
I recently bought a Honda Eu20i and got the $200 Honda cash back that they are currently offering.
It runs the A/C and the microwave but not at the same time.
I have an 18ft BT 2001 model but I guess the A/C is about the same size.
The carby float bowl is vented so some fumes will escape, not sure that I would keep it inside the BT.
Yamaha also have a very similar model.
Regards
Palle
AnswerID: 567367

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2005 at 20:26

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2005 at 20:26
Hello Keith, "Pothole"
Da Ranger is here, and there is a hitch.......

So, I am telling you this for other readers benefit as well.... Yes we have 100 to 200 at least, running off the Honda 2.0i (inverter) model... And yes it does work well... HOWEVER... The Dometic (Electrolux) Engineers want a traditional generator start up of 2.7kva... If a compressor burned out on a new airconditioning unit, and it was running off a 2.0i Honda, they would have grounds to refuse the Warranty... Ourselves, we have not not had two or three in ten years handled with Warranty, but I have heard rumour of a few others that were not brought in for Warranty due to the Honda 2.0i issue.... Sooooo..... Personally I think it worth the risk, as it does run well... But I can not advise it to be good practice...

Risk taken, advice given, is OK.... An informed choice on the matter....

Kind Regards... from the Ranger, out scouting...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567368

Reply By: Kiwi1 - Thursday, Nov 03, 2005 at 01:22

Thursday, Nov 03, 2005 at 01:22
This issue has been raised previously - here or somewhere else. As I recall, the word was that the Honda 20 meets the initial start-up demand of the Dometic unit . Does anybody else remember the discussion? As I recall, the claim dispelled any doubts that I had and may have come from Honda itself.

Michael
AnswerID: 567369

Follow Up By: Motley - Thursday, Nov 03, 2005 at 03:09

Thursday, Nov 03, 2005 at 03:09
When I was making a decision re purchasin a Honda Generator, I found something on a specification sheet which stated that it would support a peak load of 3.5kVa for 3 seconds (or something around those figures - don't take them as Gospel).

That was thee clincher for me. The size and quietness of the model were nice but it had to do the job.

I haven't had a problem with is. Except as I said in an earlier post, the Gennie waspowering the airconditioner and the bread maker went on to bake cycle!
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

FollowupID: 845107

Reply By: Freewheelers - Friday, Nov 04, 2005 at 03:42

Friday, Nov 04, 2005 at 03:42
a timely post this month yamaha are bringing out a new model to take on honda in the 2 kva range similar size & weight yamaha is an excellent brand good motors etc etc ( see thier 1.0 & 3.0 genies plus thier bikes) it a couple of hundred $ cheaper than the honda & if my reseller is right about 10% up on power worth consideration or keep the bastards honest if nothing else
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

AnswerID: 567370

Our Sponsors