Tyres for 100 Series TD

Submitted: Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 21:11
ThreadID: 122324 Views:4449 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
The LC TD is about to have its suspension modified - Bilsteins, heavier coils and upgraded torsion bars for a 50mm lift. The lower A-frames are being removed, re-welded inside/out and ARB strengthening brackets welded on. That should address any issues of suspension or front end fragility. LOL.

I now need to make a decision on tyres. It's currently on its original Grandtreks - 265/75 R16 .

The choice is probably between BFGoodrich AT in either 265/75 or 285/75.

The former are supposedly around the same size as the originals and the 285s are bigger, thereby increasing ground clearance, probably throwing the speedo accuracy out (but there's always the GPS) and affecting the gearing.

Accepted wisdom with the LC TD auto seems to be to avoid using overdrive when towing, to avoid damaging the smaller O/D cog. Larger tyres might compensate a little for having to use Drive instead of O/D but perhaps the lower gearing of using 3rd gear (it's the 4 speed box, not the newer 5) and standard-size tyres is a better idea with a load on the back.

I guess availability of replacements for both sizes is not an issue?

Any thoughts from those who have tackled this one?

Michaael

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Thommo - Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 22:35

Friday, Nov 11, 2005 at 22:35
Hi Michael

I have been running BFG 285 AT on the cruiser when new from day dot. I have had a 72mm lift on the front with new torsion bars and a 75mm lift on the rear with coilrite airbags.
You will find the 285 reduce pulling power and your speedo will be out by 3KM.
As for the lower A Frame I cannot comment as I have not had it done, However we have travelled the flinders, innaminka, Bore track, Oonadatta dalhousie the heritage trail etc towing without an issue.
My mate has had the 4 speed Auto and 5 speed Auto V8 cruiser with the same as the above and has had no trouble with either of his either other than he now tows in 4th and not overdrive and say's the towing and fuel economy is better.
I hope some of the above makes some sense

Regards David

May all enjoy there travels
Regards David & Janice

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567424

Reply By: Kiwi1 - Saturday, Nov 12, 2005 at 01:52

Saturday, Nov 12, 2005 at 01:52
Thanks David,

The Grandtreks are 275/70 of course, rather than the 265/75 that I mistyped.

While we're talking wheels, what are the views on alloy vs steel on vans? Alloys probably save a bit over 20kg and dissipate heat a little better, but they won't take kindly to cutting corners. Thoughts?

Michael
AnswerID: 567425

Follow Up By: Thommo - Saturday, Nov 12, 2005 at 02:49

Saturday, Nov 12, 2005 at 02:49
Hi Again Michael

Cannot comment on alloys on a van because I have not purchased the van as yet, However I have dual alloys on my boat trailer which ways in at just over 2 ton and they are fine but the tyres move around a bit when cornering.
We had alloys on the camper trailers which were also about 2 ton when loaded with boats etc and they were fine

Regards David
May all enjoy there travels
Regards David & Janice

FollowupID: 845150

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Nov 12, 2005 at 06:12

Saturday, Nov 12, 2005 at 06:12
We have alloys on both the F250 and van and haven't had a problem. The are much easier to handle when you get the dreaded puncture.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 845151

Reply By: Bushtracker - Saturday, Nov 12, 2005 at 03:00

Saturday, Nov 12, 2005 at 03:00
Hello Kiwi1,
The Ranger here, and this is a GREY area, but both Tracy and I have the same opinion on this, so I will try and help.... We both have had the 285 BFG's on Cruisers, and I myself have both now, an old Sahara with 285/75 16's in BFG, and a 100 Series with the 265's. Here is our 2 Cents worth, and that is all I would value it, but we both think that the 285's are a major loss of power (torque), particularly on the low end.

Both my Cruisers are Auto. and I am not sure I would want the 285 towing even without the top gear, as in OverDrive off... The reason is that on the low end, it is a very noticable loss of power, even if you could live with it on the high end. Looks good, great without the van on the back, great for exploring, but on towing it makes it a bit of a dog. You would not think it would be such a difference, but both Tracy and I have had Multiple Landcruisers since the 80's with 285's and in hindsight, neither one of us would put them on a Cruiser again that was towing... OK?

Ford, GM Detroit diesel or something else with major torque to spare, that is a different question.. And yes I put 285's on my F-350, and even put the 285's of the new heaver sidewall and heavier steel belt undertread of the D-694 we use now on the Ford.. But on a Cruiser we say we would not go the 285's again ourselves..

However, this is not science, this is just our personal opinion and judgement on the matter... I would continue to seek out other opinions and weigh it all up. I cannot tell you this is the absolute answer, just a feeling we have. It made them a real Dog on the low end when towing, particularly with the automatics, but Tracy feels the same with the 5 speed..

Regards, the Ranger...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567426

Reply By: Kiwi1 - Tuesday, Nov 15, 2005 at 08:39

Tuesday, Nov 15, 2005 at 08:39
Thanks for the response , Ranger.

Do you think it likely that there are any differences between your trucks, which I'm guessing are fitted with after-market turbos (?) and the factory TDs?

No other responses from BT owners?

Michael
AnswerID: 567427

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 03:00

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 03:00
Michael,

My 100 Series has the aftermarket Turbo, Garrett if I remember.. And an intercooler for the extra 4%.. I think it would have nearly the same output as the Electronic Turbo unit... From driving both, I would say the difference would be hard to pick in useable power.. And mine is an Auto... O-D on and off on the T shifter.. Not sure that there are any running gear differences between it and the new IFS Cruiser.... Not a noticable thing between them in performance... I have heard that on a Dyno, the Electronic TD has a slightly higher output, but I am not sure I could notice it..

Now the only thing that might make a difference is my Turbo and Injection pump is tuned to run more on the high end at towing speeds. It is a bit soggy on the low end by comparison.. The 285's would look good but...

The truth is that on my old Sahara Turbo that IS running the 285's, I had to have the Transmission tuned to stay in each lower gear about 500 rpm longer as it was a DOG with the 285's.... Now it runs harder... But again that is a manual engine, and a mechanical shifting assist on the automatic, so it was just tightened up a bit to shift a little later, staying in the lower gear a bit longer, to counter act the doggyness the 285's gave it around town... Tracy the other Director has had several Cruisers, mostly manual transmissions, but feels the same way... Good on its own with 285's and looks Mickey Smick, but dog when towing... Lowers the torque feel....

Only trying to help.... From the Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845152

Follow Up By: Kiwi1 - Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 03:11

Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 03:11
Thanks again. Since my last post I've been talked into fitting a chip to boost power and torque. Its being done today together with the suspension mods, but will still have the original tyres. The claim is that if I fit the 285s, I will still have more grunt than the stock TD on 275s. On the other hand, of course, the chip plus 265s should go really well. Still pondering......

Michael
FollowupID: 845153

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 03:28

Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 03:28
Michael,
RPM is not your enemy. The 285's look really great and give you a little bit of ground clearance, but the 265/75 R-16 BFG that is on my 100 Series, means more torque to the road, slightly higher RPM on the top end, but more on the low end... More RPM with less work, could even mean better fuel economy as well, believe it or not, as you are pouring on less fuel with a lower gear and more torque so to speak... It will not hurt you on the top end, and at 100 kph might mean about a third to half a gear more pull on the hills... On the low end, I think you would really notice a difference.

Put it this way, you can get along just fine with the 265's and more grunt down low towing with no harm on the top end... You MIGHT do well with the 285's and the chip, but there is risk in trying, and might hurt the fuel economy as well with your foot in it... At my age, it is not worth the risk. In a perfect world, you might run accross a Mate with the 285's and swap out the tyres for little go... But not likely. I having had both and run both for the last 15 years, would stick with the 265's... And that is what is on my 100 Series... And mind you... more proof? I have 10 -285's sitting around doing nothing right now. Four BFG Muddies near new, and 6 of the D-694's in AT, all ten with less than 500 km on them, and I am still running the 265's on my 100 Series... Why? My proof in the pudding...

I could be wrong on this one, but I would give odds on a bet... But take it as only an opinion on this one, I cannot assure you this is absolute...

Kind Regards, Lone Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845154

Follow Up By: Kiwi1 - Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 03:59

Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 03:59
Thanks LR. I appreciate the input.

Michael
FollowupID: 845155

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Saturday, Nov 19, 2005 at 00:26

Saturday, Nov 19, 2005 at 00:26
michael
the ranger is right your going to do more km below 80 km/hr than above so torque is the place to be when towing
be very interested in your chip comments what brand etc etc did you go for ??? cheers
Stephen & Deborah

FollowupID: 845156

Follow Up By: Kiwi1 - Saturday, Nov 19, 2005 at 20:49

Saturday, Nov 19, 2005 at 20:49
The chip is a Dtronic. Takes power up to 173 and torque from 430 to 525nm. Was recommended by a friend who manages Macquarie 4x4 in Sydney and was doing the suspension mods for me. Installation is little more than plugging it in.

Says he will only do proven, reliable mods. The pay-off for him is that there is no negative feedback, no re-work, no hassles and no risk to reputation. Makes sense - if you stuff up in the 4wd business, there are too many clubs, forums, etc, for you to be able to keep it under your hat.

I've not given it any sort of test yet but he's promised to take it out and give me my money back if ever I'm not completely happy with it.
So far, the noticeable difference is the need to go a bit easy with the right foot. The truck feels 'lighter".

Thanks for the tyre comment. Looks like 265s get the nod.

Michael
FollowupID: 845157

Our Sponsors