TV or not TV

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 12, 2005 at 16:31
ThreadID: 122327 Views:4254 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Have been experimenting with a new TV system.....using the lap top screen as the TV in the van. They key element is a DVico Fusion HDTV receiver which is 100mm square x 25mm high and weighs in at 175grams. It's replacing the Orion (450mm x 350mm x 330mm high and weighing 9000grams!!).

Advantages:

1. Combines two devices into one and saves weight and space.
2. No power required (it is powered through the USB connection to the lap-top.)
3. Can be placed anywhere that you can connect your TV antenna.On the table, bed, sink, shelf, in annex or in car (even on your lap as you sit to watch the sunset).
4. The picture is as good as any flat screen or plasma. It's all digital signal and performs exactly as a set-top box in your home theatre.
5. It comes with a remote controller (like everything does these days), or, you can operate it with the touch pad on the lap-top, or with a cordless mouse.

Disadvantages:

1. If Liz wants to watch TV and I'm on the BOG site, we have to make an agreement.
2. The viewing angle is a little restricted but is fine for two people sitting at the dinette. Probably not suited for ten people sitting around the annex watching the favourite sporting event.

We'll be testing it out on a short trip to Windemere Dam (near Rylstone) in a couple of weeks. This will include a test with the Abrolga, and with the paid TV decoder.

Oh, and the cost?....$250 from The Good Guys....So far, I am wrapped with the new toy.

Cheers..............Rob and Liz

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, Nov 12, 2005 at 18:31

Saturday, Nov 12, 2005 at 18:31
A friend bought the card to use at home on his desktop PC. He is very happy with his purchase.

I'm thinking of purchasing one for my laptop. You can currently purchase on Ebay from an australian seller for $150.00

Regards
Romeo
AnswerID: 567433

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Nov 13, 2005 at 10:13

Sunday, Nov 13, 2005 at 10:13
Hi Rob and Liz - I too thought it would be a good idea to use the computer as a TV, but in the end we opted for an separate TV so i can play with my photos on the laptop, which is mainly why i bought it. We bought a cheap KROSS LCD TV - very lightweight, and are setting it up with a set top box for when we are in a digital area - yet to see how that works. We needed a booster to get a half decent picture in the caravan when parked at home. Jim is still working on cords and connections - all this from a man who rarely watches telly at home apart from the news, and we will probably be out of range of a good signal most of the time anyway. We can always watch DVDs on the laptop if we get sick of looking at each other. Judy
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567434

Reply By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 22:05

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 22:05
Hi Rob & Liz,

Glad to hear some good news on TV applications.
We bought a 17" LG combo TV / DVD in Adelaide last year & mounted it on a swivel bracket in the BT.
We have had a continuous intermittant fault where all of the black & shading colours turn to a shimmering blue.
When we get home, the dammed thing won't fault, & were almost out of warrantee!

Main purpose of the reply is while you are in the Rylstone district, check out Dunns Swamp. Its a lovelly spot to spend a few days.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567435

Follow Up By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 16:57

Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 16:57
G'day Neil,
Yep we did spend a few days at Duns Swamp...great place. We were on a trip to the South Coast and decided to by-pass Sydney. Pennant Hills Road and Route 7 is a more testing bit of driving than any bush track. So we went via Jerry's Plains, Duns Swamp, Oberon, Taralga and Tarago. It's a first gear job going down to the Abercrombie from Porters Retreat and the trip was far more enjoyable than that Sydney stuff. There's another gem of a place just north of Rylstone on the Bylong Road. It's called Ferntree Gully and the 2km track in required some gardening to avoid window scratches on the BT. Only room for 2 or 3 vehicles and I don't think you're supposed to camp there. However, we did and the walk through the gorge was just serene and, we didn't see another soul.
That's what makes Bushtracker life so good.

Cheers........Rob and Liz
FollowupID: 845159

Reply By: Spirit Gypsys - Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 06:09

Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 06:09
Neil, we had the same problem with a Xien TV DVD only it went green and got worse til it stayed that way. (after about 3 months)
South Coast Traders exchanged it with no fuss.
They said they'd sold around 40 of them and it was a first.
I do belive them. (very nice people)
Doesn't help you but thought you'd like to know.
AnswerID: 567436

Our Sponsors