Power movers

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 08:12
ThreadID: 122331 Views:4363 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just got our new Bushtracker home, it is fantastic. We do have to manouver it for several swings to get it into the hangar we use for its home. Can be done with the powermover jockey wheel but a lot of work.

So we have been looking at a battery powered mover. Seems there are 2 candidates, Aussiewheel from WA and powerhitch which is UK based and they are having a bit of a barney with each other at present. My preference is probably for the Aussiewheel as it is 100% aussie made and a better power rating. It does not seem to have a pin hitch adapter though and would have to use the jockey wheel coupling.

Has anyone had any experience with either?

Tony and Jan
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 21:34

Wednesday, Nov 16, 2005 at 21:34
Hello Tony and Jan "Yogi"
Is that Yogi as in Bear? Joke, from another era... There was a Ranger in that one too!

I am hereby Nominating you as my 12v Power Drive Jockey Wheel research Team, OK? I have maybe two per year that need it to move a van around a corner into a funny garage shape or something... At last look it was not something you would travel with, I think it weighed 85 pounds! But could be a good thing if you were to leave it at home and take the mechanical one on the road with you.

Let me know how you go, and how you find it, for future enquires, so I can help the next person that has this need. Good or bad, problems, weight, and any other issues..

Thank you, from the "Lone Ranger" always Scouting...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567450

Follow Up By: Yogi and Muffin - Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 00:13

Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 00:13
Thanks Ranger,

Will do. Ps: it is Yogi as in Bear, not bare.

Yogi
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845163

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 02:00

Thursday, Nov 17, 2005 at 02:00
Yogi,
That is really funny! And close to home... When I was young about a century ago, I was a bit heavier and had a tiny Girlfriend in our Motorcycle Group (Iron Horse, couldn't afford QuarterHorses like I have now)... Anyway, Big Me and Little Her were nicknamed "Yogi and Boo Boo" Just like the Bears in the old cartoon... Ha!

Will look forward to hearing from you, Kind Regards from the Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845164

Reply By: Yogi and Muffin - Friday, Nov 18, 2005 at 23:58

Friday, Nov 18, 2005 at 23:58
Hi Ranger,

Have sent you more information on this personally.

Yogi - Smarter than the average Bear
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567451

Reply By: Downunder - Sunday, Nov 20, 2005 at 06:53

Sunday, Nov 20, 2005 at 06:53
Yogi,
I had one (Aussiewheel 3 tonne) that the supplier was gracious enough to take back as it would not do the job i wanted. My experience is that unless you are moving the van around on concrete or similar with a reasonable turning area the weight of the van is too much for them and it just takes over. Don't even consider grass or anything other than the smallest of inclines.

Having said that if you can move your van around with the powermover jockey wheel then I am guessing that you are doing so on firm level ground. If this is the case then the Aussiewheel (upto 3 tonne) may be worth a try but see if you can return if not happy. The downside of any trial is that the supplier is in WA and freight is not cheap.

I think the product would be great for your run of the mill vans in the 1.5 to 1.8 tonne category but the Bushtracker is simply too heavy. What would be good is a scaled down aircraft tug with plenty of weight and be remote controlled. Something like this could be right up your alley Steve.

Regards, Bill
AnswerID: 567452

Follow Up By: Yogi and Muffin - Monday, Nov 21, 2005 at 08:29

Monday, Nov 21, 2005 at 08:29
Thanks Bill,

My Bushtracker lives in an aircraft hangar when not on the road and the floor is level concrete with quite a bit of room for small radius turns. I agree that if an acute turn had to be done then the load would be too great.

I have already manipulated it into place with the powermover jockey wheel so I think that the the 3 tonne Aussiewheel may do the job. It would require max drawbar weight in order to get traction.

Your suggestion of a trial would be well worth suggesting to the manufacturer.

I am also looking at an aircraft tug but these are a bit hard to come by.

Regards,
Yogi
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845165

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Nov 20, 2005 at 08:27

Sunday, Nov 20, 2005 at 08:27
Mate of mine built a small tug.
Used an old Volkswagen wreck, very cheap.
Removed all body panels and shortened the floor pan.
Turns almost in it's own length.
Probably cost less than the power mover.

If you are interested I will try to get a photo.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567453

Follow Up By: Turist - Sunday, Nov 20, 2005 at 18:58

Sunday, Nov 20, 2005 at 18:58
I found a photo Yogi, it's now in my album.
E-Mail me if you want a larger version.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 845166

Follow Up By: Yogi and Muffin - Monday, Nov 21, 2005 at 08:31

Monday, Nov 21, 2005 at 08:31
Thanks Bob,

Looks a fascinating bit of equipment. I'll keep in in mind if plan A fails.
Regards
Yogi
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845167

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 18:59

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2005 at 18:59
Hey Yogi,

Don't know if this would help, but if you fit a front tow bar to your tow vehicle, manoeuvring the van into tight spots is much easier than reversing. I have a Landcruiser and had one made and fitted for a case of stubbies. It consists a 65x65 RHS cross member with endplates and holes to match existing bolts on main chassis (take the tow hooks off ).Then a 65x65 RHS (so the Haymen Reece 50x50 slides inside with holes to suit the pin.) is welded to the bottom of the cross member such that the hitch end is just below the bottom of the bull bar or bumper bar. KISS.

I have a drawing of it if you want a copy.

Cheers...........Rob
AnswerID: 567454

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 21:01

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 21:01
We were just talking about that on Monday....

But then I got caught up in work out with the horses yesterday, and did not get around to posting it, you beat me to it..

Example: I just put a RingFeeder pin in a housing on the front of my Mack. You almost cannot back an articulating Dog Trailer around a corner without locking up the dolley and a lot, I mean A LOT of practice.. But you can do it easy whent the corrections are immediate with the steering right at the hookup point, and you are looking right at it as you go... Easy!

Many of you would benefit from a simple flat tang bolt on ball mount that goes on the front of the vehicle. There are a variety of simple ways to mount one. If you get a HR Weight Distribution Hitch, you original light hollow ball mount is an extra for you. Bolt it on the front, or get a piece of RHS for it to slide into and pin in place and you have an extra ball mount on board that can be used to back the van around corners into very tight places. It may be the answer for some... Instead of trying to use an 90 pound power mover for $2000. Even a little garden tractor tug would be better than that.

Regards from the Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845168

Follow Up By: Yogi and Muffin - Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 02:37

Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 02:37
Thanks Rob and Steve,

Have just had that advice from another source and it will probably do the trick.

Thanks for all your advice everyone, the forum is great for that.

Regards,
Yogi

Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845169

Our Sponsors