Any V8 Diesel coverted Cruiser/Patrol owners?

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 22:48
ThreadID: 122341 Views:14418 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have just member messaged afew members who have listed their vehicles as Chev diesels but notice many don't list vehicle details to that extent. If you are an owner of a V8 diesel converted vehicle, who hasn't listed yourself as that, please read the following message that I have forwarded to the 3 listed in the member stats. Also if anyone reading this that knows someone with a converted vehicle, could you please ask them for any info? Thanks.

G’day,
I am hoping that you might be able to give me some info regarding your V8 diesel conversion. I am very close to having this conversion done myself. I have been researching and fact/opinion gathering regarding this conversion for about 2 years and would value the opinion of fellow BT owners the most. I say this, as any BT owners with this conversion are sure to be able to give useful info regarding consumption/performance towing a similar load to myself.

If you could give me examples of fuel consumption towing and not, however accurate it doesn’t matter. Also what sort of motor did you convert from, and how you compare the performance towing and just running around. Also, while I have been assured by Brunswick Diesels that overheating will not be an issue with their new specially designed radiators, have you had any overheating issues? Did you have turbo installed? I guess a good gauge of your satisfaction with the motor would be to ask, would you do it again?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries. Hard to have too much info before taking the leap I figure.

Best Regards
Matt Lea

Thanks for any assistance.

Matt

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 23:02

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 23:02
Hello Matt,
I have probably already told you, but I did all of the leg work with four different Companies to do it to my Custom Stretched Cruiser TroopCarrier.... Abandoned in favour of the F-350 4x4 that I bought for $48,000... At the time the 6.2 was all you could do as the 6.5 modified the firewall... But now I have seen the 6.5 with the midships turbo.

I would guess that a solid dozen or more of our Clients did the plunge, and report better fuel economy, but I cannot think of one in the BOG.. I also cannot think of one since Ford came back into the country and it got "Easy" to move to Ford.

Be warned, I have heard of reports of the conversion going through transmission bearings quite regularly, sort of 50k to 75k when towing.. The radiator part seems easy with a bigger radiator. I have heard of D.I.Y. kits from W.A. from about 12-14 K$. And a drive in drive out at about $18k to $20...

I gave up, deciding it was overcapitalizing the Cruiser, and went Ford.. But you seem mechanically inclined, and might be happy with the performance of Cruiser with the big donk... I have seen about 20 of them. Now and again one shows up in 4x4 Trader.

Cheers
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567483

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 04:08

Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 04:08
Steve,
Yes you have made some comments to me before re conversion. 6.5 is done with no fire wall mods now.

I thought it might be a bit of a long shot to find an active BOG member with a conversion but worth a shot in my final round of info/opinion gathering from actual users. They are hard to track down. I've even contacted some of the guys selling theirs in the traders-trying to get as many opinions as possible.

If things go to plan there'll be at one active BOG member with converted vehicle sometime next year (depending on how long we take to mosy across the top and done to Brunswick!)

Cheers
Matt
FollowupID: 845174

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 02:49

Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 02:49
I note that the people with the F250s have the 7.3 motor. Has anyone towed a BT with the 4.2 litre? I know they are not a current model.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567484

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 03:42

Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 03:42
Ranger here,
I've gotten only one report towing an 18' with the 4.2 Ford and 5 Speed and only driven one myself... The report was positive, and they said it was better than Toyota, must be the gear ratio. I was impressed with the power when I drove it, and considered it for myself.

I was attracted because it is an all manual gear run engine, no electronics, and straight truck 5 speed, a very simple and seemingly reliable design... I saw one for sale recently for $50,000 and low kilometres, 85k from memory, talked to the Owner, on www.carpoint.com. Don't know what would happen with a big van behind it, but at 18' it would probably be good.

With a big load, the fuel economy on a Ford F-250 4x4 with a 6cyl, I owned years ago, went to heck and a V-8 got better fuel economy. The 6 got better round town and on the hiway unloaded, but put to work your foot was in it all the time. But I cannot speak for the current diesel 6cyl. I would venture a guess to say that the same might hold true. Bigger diesels tend to do the work easier, and often get better mileage towing than do smaller ones. Unloaded, smaller is better. Working hard, the bigger ones do better on fuel. I do not know of anyone towing on the BOG with the Ford 6cyl, but would be interested in the comparative fuel economy myself with most Ford 7.3's reporting sort of the 14mpg average towing. Some a little higher, some a little lower.

K.I.S.S. Engineering.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845175

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 06:53

Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 06:53
Where are you now Matt? If you're over the other side, there is linquip in Qld (nr Gynpie)

http://www.linquip.com.au/
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567485

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 07:18

Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 07:18
G'day Motherhen,
I've been to Linquip and took a test drive. While I'm confident that Linquip could carry out the conversion, I'm more confient in Brunswick and will be over their way next year anyway.

Matt
FollowupID: 845176

Reply By: bluey - Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 01:43

Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 01:43
Thanks for the ifo guys but i am confussed,linquip tell me that you dont have to have your diffs gearing changed, but brunswick tell me it is better if you do and for a total cost of around 23k it is not cheap.
But ihave got to get some thing done as i think my patrol has a cracked piston, and being a work vehicle as well i need more pulling power.Any more info would really be appreciated.
AnswerID: 567486

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 02:07

Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 02:07
Four letters for you instead of going over the edge beefing up a Japanese vehicle with big dollars..... F-O-R-D..

They will be out of the country for quite a while, might want to think about getting one while you can... I would not be surprised if you could sell it in a year or two for what you paid for it, as demand will outstrip supply (Nil)... And people are realizing that it has a 4500kg towing capacity now. Really is the top maching for pulling large boats and big horsefloats. And no more are coming into the country until 2007 or something like that.. Just a thought.

Cheers from the Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845177

Reply By: F Troop - Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 04:23

Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 04:23
Hi,
There is one member on his 4th motor from Brunswicks, or he was a month ago, his is a long tale of woe, and no he would not do it again.
There was a new 7.3 F250 twin cab Blue at my local dealer last week.
Kinghorn Ford Nowra NSW.

Graham
AnswerID: 567487

Follow Up By: Kingy - Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 09:43

Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 09:43
Hi Graham and Jan.. Does this mean that the one that was doing so well at Coperton has gone the way of those that went before??
FollowupID: 845178

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 23:28

Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 23:28
Graham,
Don't suppose you have any clues as to details of said member. Would very much like to get in touch with them.
Regards
Matt
FollowupID: 845179

Follow Up By: F Troop - Sunday, Nov 27, 2005 at 02:05

Sunday, Nov 27, 2005 at 02:05
Kingy,
That was motor No 4 he was on and I am hoping its still going.

For Troopy Tracker a member mesage shoud be in the system.

Graham
FollowupID: 845180

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 08:15

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 08:15
Graham,
Spoke to him the other day and No 4 is going well. Unbelievable story though. Believe it or not he was very happy with how he'd been treated by Brunswick, and would most likely do it again. Great testimony for their company but probably not going to make it to the brochure!

Thanks again,
Matt
FollowupID: 845181

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 22:29

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 22:29
Da Ranger sez:
Da problem wit most of doz engines, is dat dey are Ex-Military Hummer engines sold at auction and then rebuilt...

The rebuilds are never done in a Magna-Fluxed, Blueprinted and Balanced Engineering shop format, and that is why they are so cheap..... But.....#*@#!

If I was going through the effort, I might look at a new engine rather than a military rebuilt jobby...

But still, for the effort and money and hassle, I still have a four letter word for you that makes more sense: F.... O.... R.....D....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845182

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 04:06

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 04:06
Steve,
Brunswick rebuild in house, everything bar head and block, replaced, pump rebuilt. At around $10k just for the motor, not sure if that's so cheap for old tech motor?

Matt
FollowupID: 845183

Reply By: bluey - Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 16:45

Saturday, Nov 26, 2005 at 16:45
Well guys now that you have scared me please tell me all you can about the f 250s, i would look at the super cab, as i need my vehicle for a living if i dont get the motor fixed in the patrol i will be desperate and will have a lot of angry clients ringing.
The 7.3 would be the way to go??
AnswerID: 567488

Follow Up By: F Troop - Sunday, Nov 27, 2005 at 21:20

Sunday, Nov 27, 2005 at 21:20
In my opinion the 7.3 F250 or 350 is the best option avalable today at its price.
I have had my truck 3 years and 108k, yep its a truck and it will weigh more than your van, approx 1700rpm at 100kph ,she will drink from 20 lph to 26lph depending on your conditions avrige around 22lph my 26lts was acros the boor onto a wind and giveing it to her, when asked what I think, I say just get one.

Graham
FollowupID: 845184

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Dec 10, 2005 at 16:52

Saturday, Dec 10, 2005 at 16:52
G'day all,

After first reading this post I recalled that my nephew in Margaret River, WA had done a trip around the block with an LC100 fitted with a Chev V8. I emailed him about the BOG discussion and here is his story:-

Rob re the V8 diesel. I brought the car (2003 GXL Manual Cruiser) off Greg Jones at Brunswick diesel. It was his own car and had approx. 30,000 k's on the clock when I brought it.Greg brought the Cruiser brand new as a 1HZ naturally aspirated diesel drove it to his workshop and did the conversion. The major components of the conversio included the fitting of the 6.5 chev turbo diesel, fitting hi-ratio diffs(3:7 to 1 I think) and a heavy duty clutch.
When we travelled around Australia as you know with the four kids and all the gear on the car and in the van we had a fair load. Including the van my best guess is between 2 and 2.5 tonne. With the Hi Speed diffs at 110kph the motor was doing just over 2000 rpm. The only time I did a rough calculation on fuel was when I did the sprint home from Torquay to W.A. The bit where I did the mileage test was between Torquay and Adelaide. Claire and the girls had flown home previously and I was by myself.I wouldnt like to say how fast I was going but no body was passing me and Im glad I didnt come across a radar. By my calculations on this stretch I got about 17 litres per 100k fully loaded and going much faster than anybody would go towing a van. Given the hi-ratio diffs and the low revs I would say that on average the fuel economy would be on par with a toyota turbo diesel and definately much better than a petrol cruiser.
In the northern territory somewhere between Darwin and the "3 Ways" I did have a heating problem one day. In fairness to the cruiser it must have been 45 degrees plus and to keep the temp down to normal I was doing about 90 kph. I didnt really push it because we were in the middle of no where and its possible that I could have maintained my normal speed (100/110 kph) at a higher temperature.The last thing I wanted to do was to risk boiling the thing out there in 45 degree plus temps. That was the only time on the whole trip including some heavy sand driving on Frazer that it even looked like getting a bit hot.
As a tow vehicle I would Say that the cruiser was more than adequate but Im not sure if there would be much in it as compared to the Toyota turbo diesel.The power output of both motors is very similar at about 155kw and the chev has roughly 50 nm of torque more tha the toyota turbo at 500nm. The hi ratio diffs do take a bit of sting out of it and its quite different to drive compared to the toyota turbo.I think that the big chev comes into its own when you get into some really serious heavy off road driving.The low down grunt is fantastic .When we were on Frazer and also around the beaches north of Noosa the sand was deep and soft. On Frazer we didnt have the van so the cruiser was packed with camping gear the 6 of us and all the other stuff. We were definately heavy and the sand was deep and soft With the tyres around 18/20 pounds we were unstopable .Where most people were bogged the cruiser was cruisin. Most my 4wd experience has been on the beaches and dunes of the SouthWest so I pretty much new what I was doing but having that big chev roaring under the bonnet was brilliant. Even Claire who couldnt care less said she loved that car at that time.
In finishing is it worth the effort to go the chev diesel? I probably wouldnt have gone in and got a conversion done myself but Gregs car was already complete and had a lot of other modifications when I brought it.When I brought the cruiser the cost of the conversion including the diffs was about $25,000.00 less your existing motor which Greg will trade. I had previously owned a couple of 60 series cruisers with firstly a 6.2 chevy and then a 6.5 so I was alresdy a convert to the chev V8 especially in the bush. The 100 series was a quantum leap up as the car was effectively brand new.Brunswick Diesel are very proffesional and the conversion looks like a factory fit.If you want a beast for the bush that grabs a lot of attention then this is the way to go.If your just towing a van with no thoughts of real offroad the toyota turbo is probably just as good.Either way if you did decide to go this way Id say give Greg a ring 0897261431.Smaller operators may be ok for the naturally aspirated 6.2 & 6.5 but the turbo is a completely different matter and Id recomend going to the proffesionals
Rob hope this helps you and any of the Bush Tracker crew .

Cheers

Neil

P.S. Sorry for any typo errors .I dont write many emails so my skill level is definately low
AnswerID: 567489

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Sunday, Dec 11, 2005 at 02:30

Sunday, Dec 11, 2005 at 02:30
Thanks very much for going to the hassle of contacting your nephew and please thank him for going to the trouble of writing such a detailed explanation of his experience with these motors. He has renewed my enthusiasm.

I am still recieving feedback via email and phone and plan to post back here with my (semi) conclusions. It seems heat is the problem for quite afew, but I've got Brunswicks defence on this which I'll also post later.

Thanks again,
Matt
FollowupID: 845185

Our Sponsors