Brake Locking On(1)

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 07:24
ThreadID: 122349 Views:3892 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone else had a problem with one brake (left front) locking on but with a tap of the pedal it will release (sometimes)
So it's not electrical.
BT's brakeman couldn't help much.

Also is there a better system than the Hayman Reese O'ride.
I don't like the lag or fiddly controller.
Any comments apreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Goodpal50 - Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 17:57

Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 17:57
We have nop had the problem but we use a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller, which also works while you are reversing. It is very good and you might want to look at it.

Mike and Marg
AnswerID: 567507

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 00:31

Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 00:31
Something is obviously worn in the action on the front brake, or the actuating arm, or something worn into a funny shape... The previous Owner could have over adjusted it or caused some other wear...

Would suggest you look at the drum, and if it is not scored, look at the shoes, if they are OK, then start replacing a few moving bits, like start with the Brake Mag and Actuating arm. Both are relatively cheap, and will give you a cure. It is probably the large mag has worn at a funny angle a bit on of face of it, and is jamming up the actuating arm. I can't see it from here, but will give odds that is the problem.

Should bring something like that to my attention when in the area... Graham might have just thought it was over adjusted a bit.... Suggest the above will fix it...

As to the Controller, go to Teconsha.... Never did like the HR unit either...

Regards from the Ranger...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567508

Reply By: Silver Fox - Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 08:44

Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 08:44
I have only done 4000 kms with a Tekonsha Prodigy however I would highly recommend this unit. It behaves very well eliciting a good feeling of safety and control. I didn't fit it myself. I considered something as important best fitted by an expert. i.e. Auto Electrician. cheers
AnswerID: 567509

Follow Up By: Spirit Gypsys - Saturday, Dec 03, 2005 at 08:14

Saturday, Dec 03, 2005 at 08:14
Thanks for the advice guys, My HR unit is 4 years old so I think it's time for a replacement.and yes, by an auto leccy, I can do most work on a motor vehicle but electrics & me dont agree.
Steve , I talked to Paul & Peter before ringing Graham, I have given the whole setup a clean & reassembled it , an off the ground test is ok but that may not mean much.
I couldn't see any noticable wear anywhere, The magnet was within 0.8mm of parallel (with callipers).maybe that is enough to be the problem.?????
I won't know til I get back on the road which may be some time as I'm working in Stanthorpe.

Regards, John
FollowupID: 845194

Reply By: TroopyTracker - Monday, Dec 05, 2005 at 06:38

Monday, Dec 05, 2005 at 06:38
G'day,
Can't help with your specific problem but reminded me of similar one I had myself. When ever we were going through a town the brakes were really sensitive, churping and carrying on at lights. Couldn't work it out. Then the contoller kept having heart attacks, saying "SC" (short circuit) and another one to I think,"OL"(overload) maybe. Anyway, when this happens the brakes stop working-not fun!! Checked everything, all seemed well. Then I though to check what power setting the Prodigy was on. It was wound all the way up!! Why? Battery had been disconnected to do something else not long before and I think this was the key. The Prodigy being all electric must not like power being taken off it. Either that or someone was playing with my power setting-unlikely. Wound it down to around the 6volts and back to normal, fine tuned it later.

Remember you guys were on the coast picking strawberries recently, never caught up. What are you doing at stanthorpe? Have afew friends there at the moment. We might end up there next March yet doing the strawberry runners. Picking grapes in St George at the moment.

Cheers
Matt
AnswerID: 567510

Our Sponsors