Around the Block.

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 08:06
ThreadID: 122350 Views:4283 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Next year we are planning to travel around Australia via the “Inner Loop” (while we can) starting around June 2006.

Earlier this year, we spent three months zig-zaging 12K km through outback Queensland & loved every bit if it.

Starting from Sydney, the plan is to travel to Broken Hill via Ivanhoe, then the Flinders Ranges, Oodnadatta track to Uluru, Great Central Road to Leonora, turn right to Wiluna, Newman, and hit the coast at Exmouth. Up the coast to Broome then to Halls Creek, Tanami Road to Alice Springs, Plenty to Boulia, then Birdsville, Innamincka, Tibooburra, Bourke, and back to Sydney.

Time around six months (+/-). Would like the WA sector to coincide with the best of the wildflower season.

We are looking for advice and suggestions.(maybe reverse the travel direction?)

Supplies: When you have to dump the fresh stuff at the borders, where are the best places (if any) that you can restock?

Water: Availability and quality?

Diesel: Availability & quality in remote areas? Am planning to fit a long-range tank to the 100TD Tojo.

Permits?

Communications & Safety: We currently have just a UHF radio and an EPIRB. Am planning to get a satelite phone before we leave. Suggestions?
We have a 9000 kg Warn Winch and carry basic recovery gear in the Tojo, together with an Engel frig and a 2Kw Honda generator. Suggestions for spares?

Sightseeing: Suggestions? Am planning to take a tent for short stays in areas where we can’t take the BT. I believe you can’t take a caravan into the Bungle Bungles. Is this correct?

WeI will appreciate any info, or where is the best place to get this info?

Doing it while we can

Neil and Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 18:10

Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 18:10
Neil & pat.
Be a shame to go all that way and miss (my opinion) some of the best country.
From Broome why not consider going via Derby, Gibb River Road, Wyndham and Kununurra.
From Kununurra you can proceed to Halls Creek and then the Tanami Road.
It is not difficult to spend 2 weeks on the GRR going to the gorges and properties 'off the road'.
Pick up a GRR road guide book at Broome or DerbyTourist info, essential.

Unless you like to pay over $3.40 per litre for fuel (Rabbit Flat) then a long range tank is essential.

The fruit fly fruit "Border" going into B/Hill is not far from town so you can shop there.
No other inspection points that I have been through are far from a town.

If your finances permit a helicopter is the best way to see the Bungles.
You can not take a van in,not permitted and the track is pretty rough anyhow.
If in Kununurra Sling Air have a combined flight, light aircraft down to a strip at the Bungles taking in the Ord scheme, diamond mine etc and then a helicopter over the Bungles.
One of the best scenic flights I have ever done. If you go take the earliest possible booking, sunrise departure, great, and you miss the thermals.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 567511

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 01:49

Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 01:49
A word of warnng about the fruit fly zones between Broken Hill and Flinders. If you look at a map, the zone is clearly depicted on the east side of Broken Hill (which it is) and it appears that fruit and vegetables purchased in Broken Hill will be ok to take into SA.

I actually rang the NSW Authorities before starting my trip, but they are idiots and don't know where their own zones are and the rules applying.

As it happens, there is a 2nd zone b/w Broken Hill and SA, and basically all fresh produce has to be dumped before crossing through.

I was in a convoy of 15 vehicles, and all of us had to dump stuff we had only just purchased to cover us for the next week or so.

Phil
AnswerID: 567512

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 00:41

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 00:41
The SA check point is at Yunta, and they will take everything.

Going across the Great central I don't believe that there is a check point. Doesn't mean to say you can take fruit in, but they just don't check there because there are'nt many vehicles.

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 845195

Reply By: BushtrackerDevs - Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 05:39

Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 05:39
Neil & Pat

Before we did our trip around earlier this year with our 3 kids we bought a Motorola 9505a sat phone courtesy of the fedral govt subsidy which covered (from memory) two thirds of the cost. A firm called TR Telecom supplied it and they offer plans with no fixed contract at $25 a month plus call charges. When you no longer need to use the phone the monthly charge drops by about half simply to maintain the number for you. They were extremely helpful at all times. Not sure where you are - they are in Melbourne but im sure can freight a phone to you...

regards
Rob& Sara.
AnswerID: 567513

Follow Up By: Agnes Lifestyle - Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 20:46

Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 20:46
Rob and Sara,

Do you have good coverage with your sat. phone?
We have a Telstra plan on ours. We pay 40 or 50cents to connect and $2 a minute. We also get $10 worth of free calls a month and pay $30 dollars a month for the plan. We haven't had a discount while not in use but will inquire.We are wasting the $10 per month free 5 minutes.It doesn't seem worth it to to pay a connection fee and increase the bill just to use your 5 mins. Better to use your mobile free hour.
We did have one emergency phone call while we were away last year. Fortunately it was from the other end and didn't need to be rescued. We were at Gove peninsula so no CDMA coverage.Also our CDMA packed it in while were in Kunnunura so it gave us peace of mind to know that we aways had some sort of communication.Used our 5mins on the sat phone and resorted to the phone card and public phone until we got home.It is amazing the places you can find public phone boxes. Even out at Steep Point.

Regards
Dianne and Ron
FollowupID: 845196

Follow Up By: BushtrackerDevs - Monday, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:37

Monday, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:37
Dianne & Ron,

We were on Iridium which has very good coverage - oftne worked whilst others in camp did not.......

Agree that its good to have no onnection fee built in minutes too!
FollowupID: 845197

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 09:59

Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 09:59
Fruit and veg - i found they let you peel them - to avoid any soil. I have peeled onions at border points, so now know to do the night before - peel well and wrap in plastic so they keep for quite a few days. They will check them. Can prepare (parboil) and freeze (as you would at home) other veges. Had to put up with instant potatoes for a bit though. Anything cooked is OK. Honey is a big no no coming into WA. Leave the cane toads behind though please. Have a wonderful trip. Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 567514

Follow Up By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 14:55

Friday, Dec 02, 2005 at 14:55
hi there all,

not that a lot of people know it but honey and honey products is a big no-no being brought to Kangaroo Island off Adelaide too. They have the only remaining pure strain of the Ligurian Bee in the world on the island and enjoy State Heritage Icon Status.

Brother-in-law is a honey producer and exporter and he is very "precious" about this kind of stuff. He has just built a new interactive centre and cafe alongside his extraction plant in Kingscote on KI to tell people about the importance of the Ligurian Bee. If you ever get to the Island, tell them Angie and Ivan sent you and you will get a wonderful warm welcome.

Angie
FollowupID: 845198

Our Sponsors