After all the wondering

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 04, 2005 at 17:55
ThreadID: 122354 Views:3871 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The Mobile Condominium is now a reality. So here are some brief facts from the "Maiden Voyage" home.
Tows like a dream. The van just sat behind us no matter what speed or road condition we experienced (we actually went to 115 in some places because the travel was so smooth and the speed just crept up without effort and then a regular guage check made us realise what we were achieving).
Even narrower roads meant that with appropriate speed and good mirrors we had great vision of where we were positioned on the road and the van followed. We dropped the left wheels off the sealed road onto the dirt around Wellington way and even with the sharp drop off the van was very stable and just followed back behind us at the next smooth opportunity to regain the sealed surface.
The 350 rated LDH system was a great help on the highway, the larger brakes (12" I think) with the Prodigy controller made any braking just so easy. Particularly in the last 40 or so K where we have 80k roads and about 20-30 sets of traffic lights through Adelaides northern suburbs.
Economy with our base 4.2L 1HZ 80 series diesel was 4.39K/L (12.34M/G for us multi sytem talented older folk) as average for whole trip of 2645K even coping with the Great Divide, lesser ranges and 1.5days of head winds from Narrandera to Adelaide. Our route was BT Factory - Forest Glen - Gold Coast - Moree - Wellington - Canowindra - Cowra - Yass - ACT - Yass - Wagga - Mildura - Renmark - Blanchetown - Adelaide.
We experienced severe O/N electrical & HEAVY rain storms at Moree, Wellington & Hay with rain in the ACT. Thus we were so happy to be in the van with dry comfortable facilities to rest, eat & sleep. We would have been absolutely soaked in our swag/camp style.
There was a "seamless" switching from on site power to 12VDC & inverted 240VAC at Wellington when one VERY localised lightning strike took out the van park power!
Now we have to use the lovely comfortable on a few excursions ex Adelaide to really appreciate our home away from home.
Had a bit of a play on two wheel track through river flat "forest" areas whilst exitting the O/N stop about 11 K west of Hay. The van tracked along the winding way through the trees very easily. So we also want to get out on some dirt road, back track journeying as well.
So there it is for what it is worth. More to come later.
Cheers - Ian & Sally
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fosssil - Sunday, Dec 04, 2005 at 19:44

Sunday, Dec 04, 2005 at 19:44
So...Now you can stop wondering and start wandering.

Congrats...wish it were me...I have a while to wait yet..
good luck,
fosss
AnswerID: 567524

Reply By: Bushtracker Buck & Babe - Monday, Dec 05, 2005 at 04:33

Monday, Dec 05, 2005 at 04:33
Congratulations from us too Ian and Sally. You will not believe the lifestyle that is waiting ahead of you. Don't forget when you do a trip to put some photos in the album 'cause Angie luuuuurves photos.

The Babe and Buck
AnswerID: 567525

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Sunday, Dec 11, 2005 at 21:18

Sunday, Dec 11, 2005 at 21:18
Thanks for the thought Turist, but we are bit like some others who love the journey as well as the destination and I would not feel happy leaving Sally out of a journey.
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 845205

Reply By: Tassie Bushies - Friday, Dec 09, 2005 at 07:10

Friday, Dec 09, 2005 at 07:10
Hi Ian & Sally.
BTs are wonderful.
There is no substitute for quality. Congratulations.
You now know why I don't have any trouble at all, "turning my rig around in Tassie"
You can put a BT anywhere.
Will we see you at Copeton 2006?
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567526

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Friday, Dec 09, 2005 at 07:57

Friday, Dec 09, 2005 at 07:57
Peter, you must have a VERY good memory about the lip I proffered re turning around! You may have seen from the pic's that we did a bit of a wander through some river flat red gum forest and YES the BT's DO follow so easily.
Thankyou for your wishes and I MUST remember about your good memory in future! Must be that good fresh Tassie Mountain air or the fresh trout or something!
Copeton 2006 is sooooo tempting, but Sally is a "chalky" and so our holidays are a bit regimented (I could come my self - OOUCH! - AAaargh!) No I will just get my leave to suit the school leave regime dear! So we will need to wait some years yet. Guess we will enjoy the web site descriptions. We do look forward to any "On road" encounters with other BT's though!
Cheers Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 845206

Follow Up By: Turist - Sunday, Dec 11, 2005 at 02:40

Sunday, Dec 11, 2005 at 02:40
Just a thought Ian.
Why not drive up to the rally by yourself and fly the "chalky" up later.
We had a member with similar commitments do that in 2004.

regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 845207

Reply By: Tassie Bushies - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:14

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:14
Hi Ian & Sally.
Sorry we won't see you at Copeton 2006. Maybe we will catch up somewhere.
Yes we do like our fish down here, don't forget along with our Trout we also have the BEST Salmon you will ever taste.
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567527

Our Sponsors