water guages

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 28, 2005 at 02:30
ThreadID: 122387 Views:4231 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Are there any BT owners who have decided to put in water guages? We will take delivery of our van after the Melbourne Show in May next year and are debating whether it would be an advantage to have guages installed to show the level in each of the water tanks. We did have them in our last van (not a BT, of course) and found them helpful. Advice from more experienced BT owners would be appreciated.

Rob & Sandy Williams
Barrakuda, WA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Yogi and Muffin - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2005 at 23:22

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2005 at 23:22
Hi Barrakuda,

Guages are not worth the effort. See poat 1920 from the Ranger. It is Tip # 74 and is on the owners forum

Tony and Jan
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567654

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2005 at 23:23

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2005 at 23:23
Hi Rob and Sandy,
We have four tanks - so we lways know within 25% on the status of our water supply. You will soon get to know your 'standard' usage - ours is about 3 days per tank or the 'enconomy' usage (when chasing gold deep in the bush) which is much longer.

Guages are probably not much more accurate than about 10% at best. And you can alway stick another tank in as they are a low cost and fairly light weight - only fill it for extended trips. I also have a rack for three jerry cans on the A frame. Another add-on worth looking at is the 'sucker line' on the a frame. This allows you to draw water directly from 20 L drums or jerries and it bypasses your tanks. It allows you to use creek water that may be a bit 'iffy' for drinking but fine for showers and washing up.

I also carry four 20 L drums with lids (they stack and travel happily in the ensuite) so if I have to travel for water I can collect 140 litres (drums plus jerries) at a time.

I have put together a simple little Wave 12v bilge pump that plugs into the 12v socket on the side of the Bt and transfers water diirectly from the drums in the back of the LC into the tanks using my standard water hose - no humping heavy container of water around. Also good for pumping out of creeks etc - they only has about 9' head though.
Cheers john and Jean

AnswerID: 567655

Reply By: Yogi and Muffin - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2005 at 23:23

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2005 at 23:23
Woops that should be post 1920 not poat 1920
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567656

Our Sponsors