tassie trip

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 28, 2005 at 23:10
ThreadID: 122390 Views:4828 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Hope you have all had a pleasant Christmas. We are having a couple of months off the road during the school holiday period to miss the rat race. Haven't missed the heat here in Brisbane unfortuneately. We are off to Tassie with the BT mid February for about 7 weeks,hope that is long enough for a good look around. Thinking about the Flinders ranges after Tassie and then up the middle and who knows where after that.
Are there any trackers from down Tassie way with any suggestions about where to go, where to camp, must see's, and any other info that might be of use on a BT holiday. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Happy New Year to all of you in boggerland.

Ian & Marcia.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pixellator - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 04:02

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 04:02
G'day Ian
We are also planning a trip to Tasmania... there's gonna be lots of BT's there by all accounts!
I've sent you a members message separately.
Regards
Bob
AnswerID: 567664

Follow Up By: Pixellator - Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 20:15

Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 20:15
We have taken the plunge and booked Sydney-Devenport on Tuesday 7 February. Spending the first couple of nights in Devenport. Still planning the rest, but we plan to be in Alice Springs by the end of April. We might take advantage of a day crossing scheduled Devenport to Melbourne on 13 or 14 April.
Cheers
Bob
FollowupID: 845256

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 07:38

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 07:38
Me too!

I would have booked the ferry on line yesterday, but had to email our measurements for a quote and haven't heard back yet. Should get on OK - looked like plenty of vacancies on the 12/2 daytime ferry which we have picked.

If we get on the daytime crossing, we will be asking about somewhere not to far out to stay the night before.

There have been some very tempting threads on both the caravaner's forum and ExplorOz fairly recently - if you are not a regular on these websites i can look up the threads and post links here.

Still looking for specific BT feedback. I know we won't be able to cross the Pieman at Corinna - my daughter was the 'ferryman' there some years ago, and we are too big.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567665

Reply By: Tassietracker5 - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 07:58

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 07:58
hi Fellow Boggers

We sold our 2004 21'BT in July this year after a fab trip to Cape York with 2 other BT's.

We are in Hobart and I will be on the look out for Bushtrackers on the road in Feb. I will be the mad woman flashing lights and waving!!!

For free camping info, I would recommend Boiling Billy Publications "Free Camping in Tasmania". It can be bought on line via their website-under $20.

There is a big shortage of caravan parks in Tas so I would get organised and book in asap. Closest caravan park to Hobart city is in Cambridge (near airport).

Safe Travels
tassietracker5

PS You cannot bring fresh fruit and veg into Tas so dont stock in Melbourne. Quarantine will search fridge, pantry etc.
AnswerID: 567666

Reply By: SuziTracker - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 15:51

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 15:51
Hi All

We are booked on the 5th Feb day crossing over and the 5th Mar day crossing back. We may stay longer if need be. Then its over to SA then up the centre to Darwin then Broome then Cairns and back home to Brisbane. We hope to see all you good people on the road.

Regards
Brian & Norma
AnswerID: 567667

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 10:40

Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 10:40
Looks like Tassie wil be overrun by BTs - hail us on UHF 40 if you see us. motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 567668

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Dec 31, 2005 at 10:42

Saturday, Dec 31, 2005 at 10:42
Got my quote and will do on line booking tomorrow.

Day crossing departs Melbourne 9 am. Any good ideas of where to stay the night before to ensure getting to the ferry in plenty of time? We have never been there and city driving scares me.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 567669

Follow Up By: FTP TRACKERS - Sunday, Jan 01, 2006 at 21:23

Sunday, Jan 01, 2006 at 21:23
Hi All,
Thanks to all those folks who replied to our post. Have contacted most by members message, should be good collection of BTs in Tassie this year.

All the Best for 2006.

Ian & Marcia
FollowupID: 845257

Follow Up By: Boystoy - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 01:55

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 01:55
Hi Motherhen,

Unfortunateky, we will be one less in Tassie this Febuary. We cancelled our plans this year due to family committments, with two important '0' birthdays coming up.

Melbourne doesn't have a lot of choices in caravan parks. We have stayed at the Big Four at Coburg, and was going to use it on our planned Tassie trip.

Coburg is a nice (for Melbourne ) tourist-only park, and is about half an hour to the ferry. We planned to book in early & do a dummy run without the BT to make sure of the route.

Please note you need to run through the cashless toll expressways, which are a pain if you don't have a E-Tag on your car. If not, I would suggest buying a day pass, as to pay by telephone will test your patience.

Bave a good trip

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

FollowupID: 845258

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 04:13

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 04:13
Neil, where are the toll highways? We will be new chums to Melbourne and are real bush not city people.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 845259

Follow Up By: Rockgoc - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:33

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:33
Motherhen...when ever we went over to Tassie, we would stay at the Blue Gum Caravan Park which is situated right at the beginning f the freeway to Mornington Peninsula. It's a half hour drive to the ferry, but you don't have any toll ways and if you go early enough in the morning, the traffic is lighter than it would normally be. We usually get going before dawn...so virtually no traffic. A Melways street directory is a wise investment...get one at the newsagent and plot your trip....Give us a ring if you want to have a chat about the way to go.....08 90223086
Happy trails...we are flying over in March for a family wedding...can't afford the fuel and the boat fare any more from Kal....it's a rich man's game!!!!
Cheers, from Jan & Easy
FollowupID: 845260

Follow Up By: Suncoasters - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 11:49

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 11:49
I can recommend the Ashley Gardens Big 4 park it is easily accessed on the Western ring road (no toll) and the access to the ferry via the same road means you will miss most of the city traffic. The staff at Ashley Gardens will provide you with a map to the ferry terminal as a lot of vanners use the park for the same reason as yourself.
Enjoy Tassie we certainly did and we will be going back sometime in the future.
Regards David & Maureen
FollowupID: 845261

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 23:52

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 23:52
happy new year all
is it not possible to stay in the car park at the ferry terminal overnight ?????
Stephen & Deborah

FollowupID: 845262

Follow Up By: Rockgoc - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:13

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:13
There's no where for you to stay overnight at the ferry terminal. The car parking is angled for small vehicles only, and if you stop there, you will get a parking fine. I wouldn't really recommend any one staying there overnight in the parking bays at all really as the undesirables who frequent the area may want to help themselves to your gear! Don't get me wrong!....The place is probably a very nice place....but the temptation is there if you know what I mean. Plus you are on a main road , and there would not be much peace and quiet overnight.
For the toll ways.....if you have to drive on the tollways and the phone-in method of paying is not working for you (as is want to happen from time to time,) you have 3 days after using the road system to pay by cash at any Post Office in the state.
Hope this helps!
Cheers and happy sailing and happy trails in Tassie to all.
GO THE BOGGERS!
Regards, Jan O
FollowupID: 845263

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 06:41

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 06:41
Hi Jan and all helpful boggers

How much does it cost to go on the tollways, and how does "pay by phone" work? Just in case any tollways accidentally cross our path.

We now need to get to an area in east Melbourne to pick up a battery. One of the batteries BTi sent across to us got damaged in transit, and thanks to Steve and Peter, we have one now heading for Melbourne for us to pick up before we go, so we now need to get there a day earlier than the Saturday we'd planned; also our early progress may be delayed if roads have been damaged by the flooding. We will get to Tasmania, come 'hell or high water' - did you see the town of Lake Grace on television? What hell will throw at us is yet to be seen.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 845264

Reply By: Boystoy - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2006 at 05:22

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2006 at 05:22
Hi Judy,

Were Sydneysiders so the little city of Melbourne doesn't faze us. Probably wouldn't go there if my daughter didn't live there.

As I have said caravan parks close to Melbourne CBD are scarce & probably non-existant. your choices are always about half an hour - just choose your direction.

From Coburg the route is fairly direct, but you will need to travel the dreaded toll ways. My suggestion is to arrive a day or so early (theres lots to see in Melbourne) I didn't say that! But before you leave try to get a map of Melbourne from the RAC & study it a bit before you arrive. If you can get a copy of Melways this will be a great help. (Its their best street directory). Do at least one dummy run without the BT to check your navagation abilities and allow yourself plenty of time in case you decide to take an unintended cooks tour of Melbourne.
The people at the caravan park will be able to give you advice and how to obtain day passes for the tollways.

Enjoy your trip

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 567670

Reply By: Tassie Bushies - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2006 at 07:35

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2006 at 07:35
Hi all intending Tassie Treckers in 2006.
Am currently writing up a suggested track around our fabulous Island. it may be a week or a fortnight yet.
We stayed at the c/park on the Goulburn River at Seymour the night before leaving on the spirit.They will give you a map from there to the ship. they have some level drive through sites, stay hooked up for a early get away in the morning to avoid traffic, park down by the beach back about 3 blocks there is plenty of free parking around "Pickles St, Gas Works Park" area.(Leave your rig here all day & grab a tram into the city for some Shopping (Maybe at the Queen Vic Markets)
Straight down the Hume highway / Turn right at Campbellfield (NEED TO BE IN A RIGHT LANE two lanes turn right) into the "WESTERN RING ROAD" then follow it around (you think you are leaving Melbourne but you are not, just follow their map.(You will see the ship on your right as you come over the Westgate Bridge).You will need to turn off the freeway so get into the left lane.
If you travel this way there is NO TOLL ROAD to contend with.

Richard & Wendy stayed at the campground just above Carlton which they liked, but they did get caught up in traffic having to go through the city centre.
Looks like we may be having a mini BT rally down here about the third week of February?
Regards Peter.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567671

Reply By: F Troop - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:06

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:06
Hi all,
Noticed that SuziTracker is heading up thru the centre after Tassie, in arly March. We will be doing a similar thing from early March. We will leave the Eyre Penninsular and head up thru the centre, do a spot of fish feeding in the NT and then head for the Kimberly and Broome, probably in May. Hopefully we will catch you and other BT's on the road. Our email is ftroop@pocketmail.com if you wanted to catch up somewhere.
Jan n Graham
AnswerID: 567672

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:39

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:39
Fellow Boggers
Thanks for the helpful info on Tassie. We Sandgroper Boggers are also heading to Tassie in Feb 2006 for about 8 weeks and hope to catch up with some of you on the roads out there. Our mobile is 0407 325 836 and we have UHF 18 and also scan 40
some of our fellow BT trekkers from our Cape York trip may also be coming

Hope to see some of you there
Steve & Leith Harry
We are the ones with the kayaks on top of the Beige/gold landcruiser with WA plates and 22ft BT with QLD plates
AnswerID: 567673

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 04:33

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 04:33
We'll all be watching for each other instead of the road! We're driving a white Nissan Patrol and both car and caravan have B (for Beautiful Bridgetown) plates, big 40 in back of van. See you in Tassie
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 845265

Our Sponsors