Honda Generator

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 01:20
ThreadID: 122391 Views:5512 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we tried a Honda 20i with our airconditioner (BT 2001 aircon. model cal. 136.302) and it didnt work.The next model up is very bulky and weights 31 kg.
Can anybody help?

Reg and Heidi
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pal & Sop - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 01:53

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 01:53
Hi Reg and Heidi.

I also have a BT 2001 with aircon. model cal. 136.302. My Honda 20i works fine with the A/C, the Honda runs well below its max capacity with the A/C flat out.
I leave the Honda in ECO mode but perhaps ( if you haven't already done so) try it in the non ECO mode when you switch on the A/C so the Honda is at maximum revs when you start the A/C.. then switch back to the ECO mode.
Also make sure everything else is turned of.
Regards
Palle
AnswerID: 567674

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 02:08

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 02:08
Sparky, da "Lone Ranger" here....

This is a bit dicey, as I cannot tell you that the Honda 2.0i is recommended by the Electrolux Engineers, as they want 2.7 kva to start and 1 kva to run, for their Warranty on the unit...

However, being da hub of info in deese parts, I can tell you that there are probably a few hundred Bushtrackers running air on them, and our Compressor Warranty is less than 1%, like half, of half, of nothing... Nearly nil... And you are past the Warranty issue anyways, well past, so onward and upward.... One thing you might have overlooked, is the battery charger. If you are plugging it into the outside power "in" circuit, the charger would come on Boost heavy load automatically, and that might be the shut down... Only a guess, would not know what charger or gear you have that far back.... But a very likely cause of your problem... OK?

Best of luck, da Ranger
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567675

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 07:30

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 07:30
Last January, spurred on by all the other Bushtracker people using them, as well as many other caravaner's, we were leaning towards the 20i - went to the local Honda dealer and asked also about the 3 kva or running two 20is in tandem. He said no need - one would be adequate. We did not run anything else off it when running the air con. It did 'trip' a couple of times and stop. We have a 1998 BT and have the same air con as later models (and your somewhere in between). We would sometimes stop early on a hot day and run it for a couple of hours before the caravan was so cold we would need to turn it off for a while. Hope you solve your problem - have you checked the air con on mains power and all the other obvious things? Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567676

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 17:25

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 17:25
Reg & Heidi.
What will not work?
Can you give some more detail, eg, does the Honda stall, do the Honda overloads cut out?
Does your A/C work OK on mains power?

Must be some simple answer as there are dozens of BT's using the EU20i without problems.

We did a bit of testing recently using some professional meters and found that the start current draw for the A/C is around 11.2 amps but only for a few milliseconds, not enough to worry the Honda.
A 'normal' BT with the A/c running, the 50 amp battery charger working and internal lights switched on was pulling 5.6 amps from the Honda.
the item that really makes the Honda work is the microwave.
Ours is a small one, 900 watt mw rating that pulls 1200 watt from the Honda.
If we leave the battery charger off we can run A/C and M/W together.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 567677

Follow Up By: Yogi and Muffin - Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 21:59

Thursday, Dec 29, 2005 at 21:59
Hi Bob,

Can you tell me whether you leave the eco throttle on or off when running the Honda with the A/C. I would have thought there would be too much delay with the Eco on when the A/C cuts in.
Regards,
Tony
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845266

Follow Up By: Turist - Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 05:01

Friday, Dec 30, 2005 at 05:01
Tony we always leave the Honda on ecothrottle.
Works OK.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 845267

Reply By: Yogi and Muffin - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 20:40

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 20:40
Thanks Bob,

Tried the Honda of ecothrottle the other day and it worked fine.
All the best for the New Year.
Tony
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567678

Our Sponsors