TYRES What type are you running?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 20:28
ThreadID: 122415 Views:3736 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Our F250 came with 265 x16 Goodyear AT tyres that were taken off at 82,000 with about 10,000 ks left in them because we were about to go on a big trip. Not one flat tyre in all that time but replacement cost was over $400 each.

I replaced them with 285 x 16 Bridgestone Deuler A/Ts because the 265's did not have the load speed rating required by F 250s, and BFG didn't make a tyre with the required rating either. I have now replaced 2 of the Bridgestones due to tyre failure. the latest being when I pulled off the bitumen and ran over something that put a 25mm split in the tread, and the remaining tyres look like being chopped out by 50,000 ks.

The 2 replacement tyres that I have on now are 285 x 16 Coopers Sure Trac that although they produce a bit of road noise appear to handle and perform well, and they definitely give good traction in slop.

I had BFG A/Ts on the van from new and have had 4 punctures and 1 blow out with them. As they wear out now I am gradually replacing them with BFG Long trail Road tread pattern as the tyres dealers recommend road tread pattern tyres on trailers because they wear a lot better than A/Ts or similar. They say just look at what all the semi trailers and road trains, including those in the outback with stock crates. They all have road tread patterns as they last longer.

Just interested in what others have found with their tyres.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:17

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 00:17
Hi Brian & Margaret and other Boggers
You may be interested in the tyres used on our travels. We have Goodyear MTR 285/75/16 radial tyres which are made for rock terrain and being a flexible tread wall they work very well in soft sand and having silica in the tread construction also handle very well on wet roads. These tyres have travelled across the centre of Australia on the Great Central Road, Palm Valley type tracks, and up to Cape York on both the Telegraph and Development roads. The tyre show very little tread wear, no chipping of the side walls and only one puncture caused by a sharp piece of steel which was easily repaired. To date they have done in excess of 35,000 kms and are fitted to both our 22ft Bushtracker and our Toyota Landcruiser V8 wagon which are both fully loaded. These tyre cost around $300/330 if you shop around. They make a bit of road noise if your windows are down. We wouldn't hesitate to get them again.

Still travelling Oz and heading to Tassie soon
Steve & Leith Harry
AnswerID: 567754

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 03:52

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 03:52
Hi Brian,

I had 4 tyres fitted a while ago on the F250, Cooper Discoverer ATR 265 / 75 R16.
Load rating 123/120R Load Range E. They cost $300 each fitted, they are fairly quiet and I think that the tread pattern will cope with most things, only done about 8000K's so far but I am very happy with them.

Paul.
AnswerID: 567755

Reply By: Toomelah - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 05:45

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 05:45
We've had Cooper STs on our LC100 since we bought it secondhand. Over 90,000 ks we've replaced two tyres and moved the spare into use. They've coped well with desert tracks in SA and NT and while a touch noisy on the bitumen we've soon got used to that.

Clive
AnswerID: 567756

Our Sponsors