newnes n s w

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:13
ThreadID: 122425 Views:8229 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi all happy new year
has any body towed a bt into newnes at the back of the blue mountains in nsw
rang npws they advised it was unsuitable for a van
they then advised another location in the mountains which although accessible there was only one space big enough for a van & that was in front of the toilet !!!! not really desirable any other locations in the blue mountains ??? cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Hob - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 01:16

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 01:16
We have taken trailers into there with no bother. If I remember correctly the road over the edge into the valley is bitumen and vehicles can easily pass. It is windy but no more steep then any other road range. Trucks go in there and I see no reason a BT would not.

The area has some spectacular views. Also don't miss the glow worms in the old train tunnel to the north of Lithgow (drive through another tunnel on the way) and also "Blackfellows Hand Rock" off to the right on the way to Newnes but don't take the BT into either of these. These are places to see if based in the area.

http://www.railtrails.org.au/states/trails.php3?action=trail&trail=52

Cheers
Alan
AnswerID: 567784

Reply By: Toomelah - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 01:17

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 01:17
We spent a very pleasant few days at Dunnes Swamp in October 02. It's no longer a swamp but there's a lovely lake formed when the creek was damned to provide a water supply for the Kandos cement works; also some interesting rock formations. Dunnes Swamp is at the edge of the Wollemi National Park and was recommended to us by NPWS. Access is from Rylstone on the Lithgow - Mudgee road. There were several great spots which could take our 20' BT.

It's a while since I went to Newnes but I don't remember anything in the access road which would deter a BT. At that time some of the camping was across the river through a rough ford and that certainly wouldn't suit a common on-road van!

Cheers Clive & Evelyn

AnswerID: 567785

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 17:36

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 17:36
G'day Stephen and Deborah,

Haven't been into Newnes but have heard it'd be no problem with the BT. Dunns swamp is a gem if you can get there. Turn off at the hospital in Rylstone. There are only a few spots that will take a van (Typical of National Parks these days with everything logged off and formal). Pit toilets, take your drinking water...we pumped out of the lake to fill other tanks. Honda gen. is okay in daylight if you ask any neighbours if they'd mind. Take the tinny as a cruise along the lake is just as spectacular as the walks....and you might even catch a bass or yellow belly.

Whilst in the area, another gem is Ferntree Gully, 17km north of Rylstone on the Bylong Road (Signposted to Musswellbrook) and 2km in. (very small sign). Road in is very narrow and there is only a small turn-around for parking. We took the BT in and camped overnight....Had to do a bit of gardening to get in without window scratches, and luckily no one else came in whilst we were there. If you stay at Dunns Swamp 2 or 3 days, it'd make a good day-trip to Ferntree Gully.

NRMA maps show the Bylong-Denman Road to be "Unsuitable for caravans" but we have used it several times with BT. (Also with a 3 horse float).There's about 50km of gravel (wide enough for 2 BT's to pass), and Cox's Gap is now bitumen with a couple of hairpins - use first gear going down. Also, there's another steep pinch going down towards the Ferntee Gully turn-off, about 15km north of Rylestone...1st gear again advised.

Enjoy.....................Rob and Liz

AnswerID: 567786

Reply By: apteryx - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 16:40

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 16:40
Hi,
we went into Newnes 2 months ago although we left the BT at Katoomba and did it on a longish day-trip where we took the drive into the rail tunnel/glow-worms and then took the 4wd track across to the Newnes valley. The Blackfellows Road track had a closed sign up as they were logging however I didnt see the sign too well and carried on through. The northern side of the track is very rough and 4wd only as it drops down to the main Newnes road. The road is very good although as reported by The Hob, the road in is bitumen down the escarpment to the valley floor where it then becomes a good gravel road although rough at times. On the escarpment we passed a cattle truck leaving the valley... plenty of room to pass. The escarpment would be no issue.. just due care due to steepness and narrow in sections. I would try and avoid the weekends due to Sydney daytrippers. The road continues down the valley and ends at a very large open camping ground, good toilets. (Big enough for a BT rally). Access through a ford which has a steep exit requiring 4wd. The BT should follow the cruiser/F250 without getting hung up. The old hotel (relocated and now a fairly restricted stock store) is back a couple of kms. Worth a stop and chat to the German owner who has poured his heart and soul in to the place. Has a couple of well appointed cabins for your mates who dont have a BT.

The scenery is quite spectactular at the camping ground area. Lots of history.
See http://www.lisp.com.au/~newnesk/abasic.htm
Regards
Richard & Wendy
AnswerID: 567787

Reply By: Freewheelers - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 02:18

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 02:18
thanks guys very good info will do both newnes & dunns swamp when the weather cools down a little cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567788

Our Sponsors