a/ how many carry these
b/ how many people have used said type & how easy are they to use really
c/ is there a better alternative cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 02:47

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 02:47
Of all the tyre kits, that is probably the bare minimum to have along....

Most flats are just a nail or screw in the tread....

Vulcanizing glue, on plug, only way to go with tubeless tyres.. Ream out the hole with a rough tool, glue up the plug and push it in, give a 1/2 turn to free up the tool and retract it... Trim off excess, good as new..

Depending on the kit that is the rough method... And NOTE: The bare minimum to have along.

Extensive kit? Is something like the "BeadBreaker" to actually get your tubeless tyres off the rims to do a larger patch on the inside... I have only ever used one once. But that is the extreme, and it has the simple plug fix set in it as well... That is an absolutely gruesome job to do the whole tyre off the rim, about 45 minutes for me.. Nothing like the easy picture in the video, but in the right circumstances it would look very good... Going way out past Woop-Woop? BeadBreaker kit is probably the go, but as I have said the vulcanizing glue plug kit is the minimum to have along for most simple screw stuck in the treak routines...

I don't think the BeadBreaker comes with the obvious air compressor necessity...I don't remember, but I think mind did not and I bought a "Hurricane" unit and added it in.. But anyway you need a good "continuous duty" one of those as well. There are any number of about half dozen good air pumps. Don't bother with a cheapy from Super Cheap or K-Mart or something, it will let you down when you need it the most. Go a major brand, Hurricane, Blue Tongue, one of those Majors in the 4x4 Mags... Call ARB, TJM, get a good air compressor.

If you carry one, and a BeadBreaker, chances are you will never need it.... Don't carry one and buy a K-Mart special, and see what happens... Ha!

Da Ranger, still on patrol...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567830

Reply By: Motley - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 05:20

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 05:20
For years we have carried a tyre repair kit and a portable 12V compressor.

The tyre repair kit is - Safety Seal

We have used it on many occasions because as Steve says, the most probable cause is a nail or screw (usually left on the track after vibrating out of a van not as well constructed as a Bushtracker!)

If you happen to get a front tyre puncture, chances are you won't even have to take the wheel off to repair it. We thoroughly recommend the product but don't forget, a good compressor is just as vital.

Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 567831

Follow Up By: F Troop - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:53

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:53
Safety Seal. used many times for my next door's son ,he's a builder and is always coming home with nails in his tyres ,I think one tyre has been patched a dozen times or more and the oldest would be 4 years old. as Motley said we dont even take the tyre off just pump it up and fix it.
Graham
FollowupID: 845362

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 08:28

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 08:28
ARB sells a kit in a red plastic box for $100. Saf-T-Leal (I believe). We put a plug in a tire a year ago and drove to Cape York on the tire with the plug without a problem. Wouldn't travel without the kit.

Jay
AnswerID: 567832

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 21:30

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 21:30
We have also got the ARB kit in the red plastic box that keeps everything together.
Have used it several times, the last being for a 25mm cut in the tread that by inserting 3 plugs into the cut, allowed us to drive out of the mud and onto firm ground where it could be changed over with the spare. The cut was too severe to be able to be repaired permanently but it got us out of trouble.

Wouldn't be without one, as all of our punctures have been in remote places well away from help.

We also carry the Opposite Lock Twin pump that works really well.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 845363

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 21:02

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 21:02
I carried a bead breaker for many years after having to 'do' three tyres in one day. Since then never used it... canvas bag eventually rotted away. You can always try driving slowly over the bead with the tyre lying flat on the ground or, if the worst comes to the worst use a jack and the weight of the vehicle to progressively move around the tyre breaking the bead.

Definitely carry some carcass patches, plugs and vulcanising glue and even a new inner tube. I have never yet had to use the plug type seals on tubeless tyres.... fingers crossed!. Several times I have resorted to putting tubes into tubeless tyres
Cheers John
AnswerID: 567833

Reply By: MattandLana - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 13:11

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 13:11
I've never gotten around to carrying a plug kit. Partly because most of the "punctures" we've had (tenting and camper trailering, we're new to BT) have been mallee stakes through the sidewall or rock slashes also on the sidewall - throw away the tyre in both cases. If you do one on the van and are not paying close attention I reckon you'll likely have shredded the tyre completely before you figure out why the van is being so frisky (voice of experience from a camper trailer!).

I carry 2 X 24" tyre levers which between them are much lighter and more compact than the BeadBreaker and similar very heavy and complex devices, and some tubes. (Steve you seem to be departing from KISS here!) Unless you were parked when the tyre went flat the bead will often have been broken by driving on it anyway. Otherwise as John says you can use a jack or get someone else to drive gently over tyre. Buy very, very good quality levers - you'll be buggered if one bends or breaks (when you stand on it to get the tyre off).

Have only once had to actually use the levers - 45 degrees at Warburton! We camped and did it in the evening. Lots of soapy water and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared. It does need some physical strength though. You'll need a good compressor to get the bead back on. We used a tube and it popped in very easily.

Matt
AnswerID: 567834

Reply By: Taj Mah Tracker - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 02:13

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 02:13
A related trap for newbies.
Had to take a BT wheel off the other day, brake had stuck and the wheel was really hot.
Tried the Landcruiser supplied wheel brace, and it does not fit. The BT wheel nuts have some of thread sticking through which stops the cup on the Landcruiser wheel brace from fitting. The Cruiser studs are flat on top, so it works with them.
Just as well we found out in the suburbs and not way outback.
Tomorrow we have the brake checked and a good set of socket spanners is to be added to the base kit of the L/C.
cheers
AnswerID: 567835

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 07:02

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 07:02
Check out places like "Super Cheap Autos" and get one of those 4 ended wheel braces. One of the 4 ends fitted when we had the Landcruiser, but when we went to the F250 hubs, I had to buy a suitable socket and I had it welded onto the Wheel brace.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 845364

Reply By: Silver Fox - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 07:42

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 07:42
I have a 'bead breaker' kit which I bought at a 4x4 show. Fellow demoing it convinced me one could be useful, and it looked easy. The idea being it is less weight to carry a second spare tyre on a roof rack than a wheel and a lot of punctures are repairable too.The 'Bead Breaker' does weigh a lot. (However I do hope mine never has to be used, like my insurance! ). I also bought one of those $99 12V "rattle gun" wheel nut spanners. I tried it on both the L/C and the B/T wheels with success. I swapped the existing connection with an Anderson plug on a long heavy cable so as to connect to the L/C at the tow-bar. I run the diesel as I was told that looks after the L/C's third battery while the "gun" is in use. I have a compressor which has had the heavy duty cable/Anderson plug swap too. I am hoping my outlays on all this equipment keeps "Murphy" away. happy travels.
AnswerID: 567836

Follow Up By: MattandLana - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:56

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:56
We carry 2 full spares for the car despite having the tyre levers and tubes. I wouldn't want to be changing a tyre off a rim just because we'd had 2 flats. If we ever get to 3 flats it's fair enough -- have to have a limit some where!

FollowupID: 845365

Our Sponsors