ROUND AUSTRALIA BUDGET

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 23:29
ThreadID: 122446 Views:4892 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

has anyone done a Budget, or kept figures, how much it costs for a year of going round Australia on the road for 2 .......including food, Registration, Insurance, car maintenance, fuel, Mobile phone, Internet, and anything else I have forgotten including incidentals etc...no caravan park stopovers.

I'm sort of looking to find out how much it might cost for 2 to live self sufficiently on the road.(not including complete setup of Bushtracker and tow vehicle...)
If anyone can help I would really appreciate it..

Regards,
fosss
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 01:24

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 01:24
Hey Fosss,

All those things you mentioned are essential items that you have when you are at home anyway, food, rego, insurance, etc.. What you need to ask experienced travellers is what EXTRA costs are involved.

For example, if you average about 20,000km per year in your vehicle at home, you'll probably find that you would not do much more than that in a year "on the road." I would allow for 30,000 if going the full loop over a year. That means you would be doing an extra 10,000km over and above your normal usage. If then your running costs (including depreciation, fuels, servicing etc. are about 50c per km., then the EXTRA COST is about $5000, or about $100 per week.

Even though you say you won't be staying in caravan parks, you probably will from time to time. So, I would allow for at least 10% of the time in CP's. ie say 40 days @ $30, or $1200.

You won't be using gas, electricity, or garbage services at your home whilst you are away so there will be savings there which can be offset against your EXTRA costs. Food and grog will probably be about 10% more than when you are at home, probably more in the remote areas. If you get a daily paper delivered, you will save on cancelling, and once you are on the road, you'll probably only buy a paper every now and then.

So, go through all your costs at home.....assess what you'll save on when you are away.....and subtract this from your EXTRA costs.

Anyway, if this thread gets lots of responses from Boggers and others, I hope you will find the answers you need.

Cheers........Rob
AnswerID: 567849

Reply By: Fosssil - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 03:26

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 03:26
Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts which seems to be in line with what I was thinking...except I had allowed 35,000k travel so it looks as if living costs as in weekly expenses might be similar to or better than at home.

We plan to sell our house at this time (because we were due for a shift after 19 years) and live in the van for a year or three or more, like some other grey nomads have done...but time will tell and we will see how that goes... ..who knows, but nothing is ever cast in stone, and I do realise that many folks start out with those intentions and fail....,

We are not selling the house to pay for the van, its just that we don't want to rent it after having seen some of our friends rental disasters,

I mentioned no caravan parks because we have a largish clean, non hair dropping dog, and although I know there are parks that allow dogs, we would try to avoid them and stick to our own devices.

If anyone else has some thoughts I would appreciate seeing them.

Regards,
Fosss

T
AnswerID: 567850

Reply By: Boystoy - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 05:33

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 05:33
Hi Fosss,

We kept some detailed records of our first "long" trip. This was last year from Sydney through outback Queensland lasting 81 days, with our 20ft BT and LC100TD.

Resume as follows:

Total Km travelled 12,675

Average Km/day 156

Average fuel cost $1.23/L (Was last year)

Travel costs per day $70.54 (includes diesel, service, caravan parks, tours, ferries & entrance fees)

Living costs per day $53.90 ( includes all food, restaurants, purchases, souvenirs & gifts)

When you compare BT travel with advertised tours over similar country at around $300/day/person, it makes our $124/day for two people a bargain. Plus you have the luxury of the BT.

Hope this is useful as a guide. We will be doing a 6-month run later this year & will keep similar records for reference

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567851

Follow Up By: Fosssil - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 05:58

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 05:58
thanks Neil an Pat
fosss
FollowupID: 845377

Reply By: TRAVLN - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 08:18

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 08:18
Fosss,

Congrats on the decision to enjoy life!!

You mentioned that you will sell your home as you don't want renters to ruin it. If you don't have to do this to pay for the BT, then I would strongly urge you to think seriously about this. I note you are in NSW, and if you are in Sydney then selling your home now, and then coming back in 3 years or so and trying to buy back into the home market could be disastrous. I would suggest you find a good property manager and get Landlords Insurance which will cover you for any damage to the house by tenants - only costs a few hundred dollars. Then when you come home sell the house and buy what you want. Doesn't matter if the renters leave it a bit tardy, you can give it a cheap spruce up before selling. By doing this you are safeguarding yourself against any increases in property values while you are away - you will probably even make more in rent than you can spend an 'extra' expenses whilst you are away!!

Just my 2c worth anyway - enjoy your trip!!

Carl
AnswerID: 567852

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:05

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:05
Hi
In our travels (which is limited) but the people we have met it was very interesting who many regretted selling thier homes as the prices to buy back in, had increased so much.

My Uncle when he travelled this land sold his home but bought Land to hold him in the market and would build new when he got home ... which he did 2 years later

He always said that if he found somewhere better he could sell and buy

We have had tennants and have had no problems and we always have had Landlordes insurance you never new what could happen... but a bit of paint and new carpets etc was a small cost to stay in the market when you return.

Best wishes
Lorraine.

AnswerID: 567853

Reply By: Fosssil - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:56

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:56
Hi Folks

Thank's for all the info...I really appreciate that...and for those who are interested, I have placed my deposit on a Bushtracker...for August delivery..I hope.
BT have my 22ft plan that I have spent many hours on.

fosss
AnswerID: 567854

Reply By: 11-UPS - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:48

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:48
Hi foss

I rearly have much to say ,but if you sell your house to go on the road and don' t
at least buy a block of dirt you'll end up like friends of mine . Did the 2 year circuit
now gone back to work to pay for new digs .I am buying a block before I leave but
in a different suitation than most .I'm a brickie, son's a carpenter ,son inlaw gyprocker.Have seen how prices can fluctuate and it is rearly down.This little black
duck ain't going back to to work once I've finished subdiving and sold for nothing.
Time for this 56yr old to join the nomads (no grey hairs so not a GREY NOMAD)
yet ha LOL

Darrell

AnswerID: 567855

Reply By: Fosssil - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:02

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:02
Hi...

I thought I had better post that I have changed my mind re selling the house, for several reasons...

I thought I had posted that I was not selling, but I probably mentioned it in a email to someone...I just had a look above to see why folks were still suggesting not to sell.(..which I appreciate!!...) and its not there...lol

We now plan to leave the house unsold if we can and use it as a home base and for emergency and either have a trusted renter, or a house sitter...has anyone experienced a house sitter???

If we cant quite manage we will sell and downsize, but have a house to come home to and some sort of tenant..I would imagine it is easier to have a house sitter if you need to have your house back on short notice..

thank's for caring,

fosss

AnswerID: 567856

Our Sponsors