Submitted: Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 15:56
ThreadID: 122458 Views:4060 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Recently we sold our boat and related equipment and purchased golf equipment in order to recreate ourselves as "golfers" as we travel this vast country.

For those of you who are unawawre, our BT is our home; we do not have any other home!

Consequently, we do not have traditional homeowner's insurance which would cover, for example, the golf clubs being stolen from our "garage" which happens to be our F250.

Cil's insurance does not cover "contents" outside the BT.

Because we have recreated ourselves as "golfers" and of course the ball rarely flies where you want it to fly, the additional issue is liability protection when the ball meets a 3rd party - oops!

Again, consultation with CIL revealed that the $20M in pubilc liability insurance only applied to activities related to the BT.

I contacted GIO, the insurance carrier for the F250 and during discussions with the service person (who obviously knew how to think outside the box!)I was asked if I stored any "goods" in a public facility. "Nope" I answered!

She asked me if I stored anything anywhere and I explained that we kept a few items in a locked shed behind Jackie's daughter's rental home.


Because the items are in a separate "dwelling" - the locked metal shed - GIO can write a separate contents policy for the items in the shed.

The minimum amount of contents value in the shed is $20,000 (we only have about $1,000 - who cares!). However, I was able to list all of our contents outside of the shed that might be stolen, e.g., the golf clubs, folding bicycles, computers, Jak's jewelery, cameras, et cetera. That totaled almost $20,000.

Each of the listed items is covered for "replacement value".

Additionally, the new contents policy includes a $20M public liability component which covers all public liability, e.g., hitting someone with a golf ball, or poking someone with an umbrella when you negligently open it in the wrong place (the service person's example).

It was going to cost $200 for special golf insurance just for the clubs and liability; the premium for the GIO policy is $900.

Advice: those of you living full-time in your BT and not having a general public liability policy might want to have a "shed" at a friend's or rele's home and either only insure the "$20,000 contents" which would purchase a general liability policy for substantially less than the $900, or you might also list anything of significant value that might be lost or stolen when away from your BT.

In either case the last thing you want to be doing is travelling without any general public liability insurance.

Cheers, Jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 23:31

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 23:31
Just make sure Jackie hits the little white ball not the pink ones that seem to be hanging around lately.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 567878

Our Sponsors