L/C 100TD spare

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 03:00
ThreadID: 122465 Views:4119 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I submit this thread as an idea I had for the spare tyre on my 100 TD. I was told that the spare on a L/C 100 was vunerable to damage from rocks and/or stakes when off tar roads. Quotes for the tyre carriers from 4x4 equipment places were from $1300 - $1600. The carriers need to be swung out when opening the tailgates and shift a considerable weight further to the rear. My idea was to protect the spare in situ. The departure angle is really not an issue as the towbar is the lowest point so that negated that argument people had put forwarded. I bought a half sheet of aluminium alloy 1.6 thick and cut out a circle with a jigsaw. Then cut slits around the circumference so as to facilitate bending up and around the tyre. These slits were pop-rivetted so as to present overlaps to the rear. Two cuphead bolts are used to hold the protector onto the rim. These don't affect the chain lifter. A benefit I found when refitting the tyre is the protector makes sliding the tyre back under so as to lift back into position much easier. I drilled two small holes for drainage. These would be made larger should mud etc build up in the wheel. I have placed some photos in my gallery. However 50mb is very small and detail is difficult to see. I could e-mail larger versions should anyone wish. Costs :alloy sheet $64 + a packet of 3/16" rivets.
I cannot understand why Toyota puts the spare of a Prado on the rear and sells spare covers for them and yet the L/C has its spare underneath with no known after market protection available. Both are off road capable. The L/C probably sees more dirt.! happy meandering folks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 04:01

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 04:01
Hello Silver Fox,

Nice idea and contribution..!

The Ranger has always had a Cruiser in the remuda or stables since the 80's, and never done a spare tyre in that position, but it is possible. The main reason the 100 Series spare carriers on the rear like mine (little Missus twuck), is the addition of a 170 litre "Long Ranger" tank in that spare spot. It is a pain to have to swing it out everytime you get in the back, but lovely to have 260 litres on board and the weight down low. That gives a comfortable sort of 1300 or so kms towing or about 2000 km running empty. It also pays for itself in passing by the expensive pumps in certain areas..

But anyway, nice idea and ingenuity put into customising your Cruiser..! That is all in the fun of it, playing with your personal touches to the "Rig"...

Cheers...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 567905

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 06:42

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 06:42
We had Landcruisers from 1981 through until 2002 and all but one had the spare underneath, and none every suffered any problems. The one that we had with a swinging rear arm spare was for an extra fuel tank under there, and having to move the spare every time you wanted to access the rear was a real pain in the backside.

Our presnt F250 also has the spare underneath and we haven't had any problems in the 134,000 km it has done so far.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 845418

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:20

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:20
Howdy Silver Fox,
From the pics it is NICE looking piece of work. Homer brands are so much more satisfying and when they look good as well as do a good job it is very nice. How did you obtain the even-ness and smoothness of the individual segment bends?
Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 567906

Follow Up By: Silver Fox - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 21:19

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 21:19
Re the segments bending. I used two different sized pieces of wooden dowelling. The alloy is very strong and wasn't easy to bend. (However that is good for protection.) Placed under a similar position on each segment as I persuaded them to bend it worked ok. I used one of those lockable pliers to hold each segment as I riveted them. I hadn't heard of many people getting sidewalls ripped, but I thought what a b......... if it did and what a challenge to make something which would minimise the chances. I can't see me having a long range fuel tank fitted at $1310. I chose a 'Rhino' roof rack and cage to carry gerrys should the need arise. It cost $990 but can do many other services too. cheers.
FollowupID: 845419

Reply By: Muddy - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 21:05

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 21:05
The protector sounds like a great idea
i was unfortunate enough to blow a rear tyre on the back gravel road to Karijini national park,via wittenoom.stripped the tyre to the rim and with the rear of the cruiser fully loaded and towing a camper trailer ended up with the spare sitting on the gravel road and a badly chipped mag wheel.
hell of a job to jack it up and complete the change of tyre.
of course plenty of helpful advice from the missus !
have now purchased an air bag jack.
AnswerID: 567907

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 22:02

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 22:02
you might consider how much such a cover could be mangled in such an accident wrapped around the spare & you might need a can opener to remove it
just a thought
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 845420

Reply By: Silver Fox - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 04:34

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 04:34
Just a comment on the possibily of such a situation as "Muddy" had with the spare and skidding on it after a blow-out. I added that prospect into the equation when discussing my idea with the fellow at the alloy sheet supplier. He stated that the thinner 1.2mm would be more than adequate as it is an alloy. I found when trying to bend the segments he was probably right. However I am happy with the 1.6mm as if one tests the "tuffness" it's pretty good. Also it is attached firmly to the wheel which has nowhere to go between the diff and the tow bar. I think the weak spot is probably the rivets. I would have welded joints if I could. Or better still formed somehow, like the old-fashioned aluminum beakers etc from the 60's.. cheers.
AnswerID: 567908

Our Sponsors