HF Radio & GPS

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 01:11
ThreadID: 122474 Views:3908 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Members with HF radios may be interested in the reply to an enquiry I made regarding GPS positioning reporting via HF radio.
I have invited the company to post further information here as it becomes available.
If, like me, you have an HF set as a security system in the event of an emergency, medical or accident, then this system looks like it could be a lifesaver.
One press of the button and your position is plotted and transmitted.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the enquiry regarding our Bcon HF Messaging and GPS positioning service. Bcon is in the final testing phase prior to release in April 2006.
We are currently completing the documentation and finalising a pricing structure for the service. We anticipate that the full service (Messaging and Positioning) will be offered for an annual fee of around $ 150.00 - $ 200.00. This fee will include unlimited messages and position reports.

The development Website, www.bcon.com.au will be upgraded in Feb/Mar and will include the latest information. The current site has a description of the service and a number of FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) which may be of interest to you.

The new website will have a guest login where you can view sample data.

No special software is required, just a web browser. Messages from the HF radio are composed using the radio handset. In the future we intend to release an application which will run on a Pocket PC or a Laptop (Windows), which will simplify this process.

The system is designed around the Codan Messaging and GPS protocols. Unfortunately these protocols are not compatible with those used by the early Barrett radios i.e. 250, 550, and 950. The new Barrett 2050 has a Codan compatible mode but this has not been tested with our system as yet.

Only Codan NGT and 9323 radios can be used with full functionality on the Bcon Messaging and Bcon Positioning services. These are the only locally available radios which use the advanced messaging protocol required for the internet/radio interface.

We do have a mode where people with older radios which have a Telcall facility (this includes Barrett 250. 550, 950, Codan 8528 and Qmac) can sent manual position reports to the network. There is more information on this feature in the FAQ section on the website.

Please watch the website for the latest news etc. If you have any specific questions, don’t hesitate to send us an Email.

Peter James
For the Bcon Team
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Our Sponsors