Advertising On The BOG

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 03:58
ThreadID: 122490 Views:7118 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Cont.....From a previosn thread...........

In my opinion any advertising should be restricted to members only and for that members benefit only.
No advertising the bloke next doors second hand fridge etc, only your own.

Other members may wish to comment on this.

One of the forum modifications yet to happen is a sort of "Members Trading Post" section and that will most likely be restricted to paid up full members.

I think that commercial operators, eg, boat loader manufacturers, 4wd accessory shops and the like should only be permitted to advertise if they become a sponsor of The BOG.

Again, member comments are welcome on this.
And please have your say, this is a member driven forum, I certainly like to hear your opinions.

regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maverick 2567 - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:01

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:01
I'm with you Bob,
Bushtracker, Sound In Motion, Webasto and Tornado Dust Devil are all good
sponsors and pay for the privilege.
Advertising by commercial operators should be through the Private Forum as
sponsors whereby our group benefits.
AnswerID: 568003

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:12

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:12
What does the BOG offer in return for sponsorship?

A registered member base of around 500 and increasing.
(We have achieved this since 2003)

An uncountable number of visitors who must be “our type” as they read the BOG.

For potential sponsors we offer a demographic that is based around Travelling, Caravanning, Camping, Remote Area Travel, Tasting Fine Wines, Driving And Making Improvements To 4WD Vehicles.

Companies that offer goods and services that are allied to this demographic are not wasting a great percentage of their advertising dollar by promoting to people that would have no interest in their goods/services.
They will be promoting directly to a potential customer base.

Sponsors are given a direct link to their own web site.

Sponsors are invited to promote their goods and services on our forum by way of regular news updates, advice about new releases and the advantages of using their products.
(As Bushtracker do from time to time)

Sponsors are invited to attend our annual rally where they may present and demonstrate their product and “meet and greet” the members.

Sponsor fees are, in the opinion of the officers of the Assn., very affordable.
As this is a public forum and disclosure of fees may constitute a breach of confidence I will not display them here.
For further details contact me or any other committee member via the member message system.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 568004

Reply By: Black Cobra - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 07:26

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 07:26
I agree with the forum modification to have a "Trading Post" section so that articles of interest that are for sale can be available to fellow BT owners and prospective BT owners.

I disagree with the idea that it should be restricted to paid up full members.

Like myself I would like to become a financial member but I cannot because I have not ordered or do not own a BT as at this stage. I am in the process like many others who were and still are researching all the available information on BT's to come to their final decision as to what size, what layout, what features etc. and if the restriction applied then a suitable BT might become available through the Trading Post but I would not know about it.

Also, once again like myself I was reasearching all the available info on towing vehicles and after a lot of valuable reading on the forum and from Steven I made my choice and have purchased my vehicle. Once again if members or friends of members had suitable vehicles for sale then why not place them on the Trading Post for the availability of people who are looking for a tow vehicle, thinking of updating their tow vehicle etc.

The reason I include friends of members I will explain in the next point.

Once again if members or prospective buyers of BT's are looking for accessories, equipment to fit out their tow vehicle or looking for a dingy, outboard, stoves, fridges, camping gear or whatever, they can enter the Trading Post to see what is available.

I do not think it matters if it is the persons own gear or a friends, as people being people, if a friend had an outboard motor to sell then a member could just advertise it in the Trading Post as theirs anyway, the only thing that you probably could not say was yours would be a vehicle as most of the members have their vehicle listed under the members list.

I know it is a non profit forum/web site but maybe a nominal charge of $5 could be charge to put an add in the trading Post and this money could go towards the upkeep and improvements of the web site.

Just food for thought.

Cheers

Stewart
AnswerID: 568005

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 19:26

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 19:26
Stewart,
I might wade into this debate here a little... Yes besides being a Sponsor, I am also a Bushtracker Owner... And the problem is really quite simple, if we do not put restrictions on this, the BOG is going to look like a used car forum or the Trading Post... As probably the largest Sponsor, and also a Bogger, I would put both votes on at least restricting it to Members goods only... Otherwise the Public on mass would descend on us will camping gear and misc for sale that should not load up our Forum...

Even me, I have extra tyres for sale, Ford 3500 kg hitch, and all kinds of surplus junk that should be listed in the local Trading Post, not put on here.
If non-Members want to Post, my Vote is there should be at least a pre-paid fee to support BOG Events and Rallys.

Honour the Site, for what it was intended, is my Vote from the Ranger...

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845516

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 21:03

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 21:03
The boat loader mob from WA have advised me that our site is "not worth the money".

Goodn enough for a freebie though.

We are not the only forum that this mob has bludged on so as advised, thier post has been deleted.

plenty of other boat loaders on the market.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 568006

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 21:47

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 21:47
The silly buggers apparently don't realise how many Bushtracker Owners also want to carry a tinny with them and a boat loader is a worthwhile item for many BOG owners.

I agree with your removal of their attempt to get a fee advertisment on our site.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 845517

Follow Up By: Turist - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:10

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:10
Brian I have no problems with them having a fee advertisement.
Its the no charge options that I object to. :-)

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

FollowupID: 845518

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 02:18

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 02:18
As suggested above there is always the option of making the Trading Post a money earner as the ExplorOz site have done. http://www.exploroz.com

Maybe no charge ads for paid up owner members, a charge for others.
Those that are already contributing to the site financially deserve to have some advantages.

Again, I would like to see some more member input here so we will keep this thread active for a while longer.

After we have more input we can have a management discussion and present our solution to the members.

Remember, it is your forum, have your say.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"

AnswerID: 568007

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 23:54

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 23:54
Mr. President,
da Lone Ranger here, out Scouting... Reporting in from the frontier...

Western Filter mob have mentioned they would like to offer their services here on the BOG.. We probably should, to be fair, bring this topic to the forefront, and establish some kind of a policy on this..

The last thing we need is to be innudated with "stuff for sale", and while Western Filters could help Boggers with a good source, to be fair it should go both ways.. Sponsors, (da Ranger iz one) should enhance the lifestyle of the BOGGERS with some goodies, support, rally costs, lamb on a spit, wines... Anything to our enjoyment..

Cheers, just bringing this to the Fore of the campfire.... Best Regards.. stg
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845519

Our Sponsors