Jerry cans

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 04:15
ThreadID: 122491 Views:3902 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

What is the general opinion as to the best type of jerry can to carry diesel fuel? Metal or plastic?
I presently have some metal ones but I read somewhere that they have a tendency to create condensation inside and dilute the fuel if stored for any length of time, albeit only minor.
I have seen about three different brands of plastic ones, Willow, Rheem and a imported one. I note that willow and some metal ones are coloured yellow for diesel fuel.
I also note that if you remove the cap from the yellow and red coloured ones and look inside while out in sunlight you can see light coming through. If diesel is subject to sunlight it has a tendency to grow gigantinormouses so that can't be good.
I note that the black plastic Rheem ones don't tend to let light through and of course the metal ones either.
I'm guessing that the metal ones may well be more durable.

Roy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:14

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:14
Roy for diesel we have been using the Rheem black plastic fuel containers.
There has been one on the drawbar for a few years, plenty of sunshine and bad roads, no issues at all.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568008

Reply By: Panna Trackers - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:59

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:59
Roy
We are in the northwest and do a lot of dirt ks. The black plastic Rheem jerrys seem to be the most durable.
Trevor
AnswerID: 568009

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 19:19

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 19:19
Roy,

Yea, a bit of a Fanatic on Outback exploration... To go into really remote regions, before I graduated to 200 litre drums, I had 20 of the Rheem fuel containers specifically for the black light blocking algae fungus inhibiting features of the black.... The first ten had only one spout.. Avoid them if you find any old stock... The second ten had the spout on both sides which allowed easier filling and pouring. I have even pickled the Diesel with ADI chemicals and left it in there for years... I have never lost a plastic one, and they seal better as well... My ten steel ones were always a pain.

The other problem with the steel ones besides rust on the outside where they rub the paint off in the holders, is that any condensation pulls sulpher out of the fuel and becomes H2SO4 (Sulphuric acid) which even in this weak state eventually eats through the bottom where it has nil affect on the Black Poly... I have buried them in sand for a year or two at a time "Fuel Dumps" in very remote areas shooting and fossicking... I would not be able to do something like that with the steel either.

Regards, Ranger
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568010

Our Sponsors