Storage of boat equipment

Submitted: Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 06:26
ThreadID: 122501 Views:9105 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Bushtracker owners, Well my husdand and I are looking to buy a bushtracker in the future 19-20ft towing with TD troop carrier and traveling around Australia indefimately.
We are wanting to take our 12ft tinnie which will go on top of the troopie. My question is where to keep the boat motor, fold-up boat trailer and petrol tank.
Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jackie and Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 20:41

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 20:41
Hello Jackie and Mark,

The Ranger here, with a Tip # 88 from the Owners Forum, that relates to your question:
This comes from a Thread on outboard storage (Owners Forum), but in fairness to all it might be missed by some that were not interested in carrying outboards; so I have put it here as a new TIP: Right now we are running a special as we have too many 4 jerry can holders built. I will give you a 4 jerry can holder rack for the price of a 3... You need to have an extended a-frame to do it.. But it is a really cheap long range tank..

While the extended a-frame is usually thought about for storage of things like outboards and generators, I do not like that for the two reasons of bulldust and theft… Better to run them out of fuel and lash them down in the cargo hold out of the dust and out of sight. The extended a-frame does have a lot of other uses for cargo, like a good place to store some extra firewood that is getting scarce in some popular areas. I am getting so I scavenge for firewood 50 km before I get somewhere. Longer bits of a fallen tree laying lashed across the a-frame, that I burn in half to make to nice sized bits…

End..

Now, Jackie and Mark, when you come for a visit here, ask to be shown the mounting bracket for a folding boat trailer on the a-frame as well... And for sure, the mounting of an outboard on the a-frame works, but only limited success trying to keep out the bulldust... I know where I would keep mine, per above..

Regards from the Ranger…

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568042

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 21:09

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 21:09
Post Script, for your edification:

As in all things, we only give you our best advice from dealing with the resulting successes and failures of the 1000 out there doing it... You may of course disregard our advice, as after we have given it and are sure you understand it, we will let you do what ever you want (as long as it is not dangerous)... OK? Once you understand our perceived disadvantage, and are willing to cope with it, you are free to do it "your way".

Best Regards from the Ranger, trying to look after everyone as best as we can...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568043

Follow Up By: Jacmar - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 18:06

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 18:06
Thanks Ranger for your input much appreciated. This forum is a credit to you and your members, its been very helpful to as.
We have decided that the Sydney show is only about 1 month away so we will wait and see you there.

Thanks
Mark and Jackie
FollowupID: 845553

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:59

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:59
We have an F250 and keep the 15HP 4 stroke outboard inside the rear ute section. It is on a slide so that it can be kept secure on an angle as 4 strokes cannot be just laid down like a 2 stroke can. Another thing you have to look at is that 4 strokes are a lot heavier than 2 strokes.

I prefer to have to motor in or attached to the vehicle, and that way you can leave the van and travel to a remote area to launch it. We have a folding trailer across the front of the van, but most of these trailers are not suitable for prolonged travel on rough roads.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568044

Reply By: The Layabouts - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 01:07

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 01:07
Hi Jacmar
We have a TD Cruiser and 19' BT. The "bulldog" trailer is on the extended drawbar and we have also made a bracket that allows the front peice to be laid across the drawbar as well. We have the 3.75 "tinnie" on a "Tinnie Tosser" available from Morayfield, Qld. and so that we can take it all away from the BT we have a Kaymar wheelcarrier installed on the cruiser that allows for the outboard to be mounted on the plate that is attached. It is quite compact and have travelled across rough roads with no problems yet.
Regards Cheran and Peter
AnswerID: 568045

Reply By: Jacmar - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 17:59

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 17:59
Thanks for your response, very helpful!

Jackie and Mark
AnswerID: 568046

Our Sponsors