TIP # 87A, Follow Up on Ford, and Additional Hint on Same.

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 23:05
ThreadID: 122511 Views:4131 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Well, I got the Baldwin filters this morning from Western Filters, and it makes the whole idea a bit redundant for Fords. First of all, the Baldwin came in case lots so cheap, you would not worry. I will carry an even half dozen when way out Bush.. But second of all, they come with their own lid cover, and with a half-inch drive for ratchet extension in the top, real neat! They actually look better than the O.E.M. Ford ones..

Now thirdly, a credit to Bob, once I found the lever for the fuel/water separator up behind the filter housing, easy access right on top, it is too easy to put a hose extension like Bob (Turist- Ford Research Technician) suggested into a coke bottle on the ground to see if you have any water in collection sump.. Just a bit of hose added on and secured, to unwrap and hang down into a clear bottle, bloody things are getting too easy! It is practically just as good as the Racor idea (for Fords). May still have merit for other vehicles...

Last, a hint to all that might be considering a Ford.. There seems to be some (jealous) negative talk about the Fords (usually people that do not have one), when for vans from about 22’ and up; when they are superior in every way but parking in the city.. Ha! Fuel economy when towing, driver fatigue prevention, more comfortable, better leverage on a big van, safety, and so on… all rank better. But for those “Newbies” that might suffer a little trepidation over it, and want a large van, here is a good Tip on the matter to put it to rest once and for all: Ford offers an extended 6 Year 160,000 km warranty, and it retails at $1895 and I hear can be negotiated downwards to $1500… That is awfully cheap peace of mind. My own second hand Ford has 3 years and 4 months and 90,000 kms left on the transferable Warranty. It is one of the reasons I bought it.. For those that want to make a larger van and Lifestyle, it is probably the way to go. You might get them to throw it in on the deal…

Food for thought from the Ranger, out scouting about….
Regards to all....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cvtripper - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 06:56

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 06:56
Steve,

I thought they were no longer importing the F250's into Australia.
Is this incorrect?

David
AnswerID: 568080

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:36

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:36
I was at our local Ford Dealers in Noosa, today and they still have 1 Silver Twin Cab F250 on its way to Australia. After that there will not be any more until 2007.
They told me today that Ford have told them that there will not be any more for 11 months while they set up the factory for the current model with 6 litre motor that complies with Emission controls.

If you want one of the 7.3lt models, then you will have to make your enquiries now.

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 845571

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 18:39

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 18:39
David,
There are at least 20 new ones still for sale, even in Maroochydore at Pacific Ford, a dual cab XLT, Salesman there Jaime tells me..

Ford Australia indicated the last of them are on the water now, final shipment coming in... I personally lament the loss of the 7.3 litre engine. I have personally owned two of them, pre electronic one and the new Powerstroke I have now... Dispense with all the rumours of why they are not coming in for at least a year (the way things go probably two)... The real reason is the same one that made GM pull the 6.5 and Dodge get the higher tech smaller Cummins. They are governed by the U.S. EPA (Enviornmental Protection Agency) that is on a Legislated Mandate passed by Congress, to reduce the FLEET AVERAGE fuel emissions and increase the fuel economy of the ENTIRE FLEET... That means from the little cars through to the luxury cars up to the SUVs and Light Trucks, on a sliding scale over time, for each Company. They are doing away with the big workhorse engines to opt for a smaller higher efficiency engine (not necessarily better)....

The 7.3 is an International Truck engine that has been around since the 80's. It started out as a 6.9, became a 7.3 in 88-89 and Turboed in 94 and electronic Powerstroke common rail Turbo in 1995. Now this is the last year. My guess is the new engine will not get as good economy when towing, as the bigger diesel is not working. I also hear the 6 litre out in the States is not fairing well, bad reports, and a new version is coming out. Newer is not always better. I might just want to stick with the tried and true 7.3 Workhorse.... EPA Legislation has forced a smaller 6 litre engine that will no doubt have less emissions, and get better mileage around town as forced by Law... But that does not mean it will do the big towing job of the 7.3 as well, if any measure of historical referrence holds true. The 7.3 has a reputation of sort of 400,000km in the dusty hot rough conditions in Australia, and about 800,000km in Fleet service on the highways in the U.S. The emissions standards are a 1/2 of 1% step in the right direction, but is nothing on the scale of air pollution or global warming theories. That is primarily Industrial and Electrical power generation problems of Western Civilization.. I for one lament the loss of the 7.3 engine, another victim of the greenies. And I for one bet, that the emissions of soot from the new engine when it is working hard, are likely to be more than the 7.3 doing it easy..

I might just stay a dinosaur.
Regards from the Last Ranger...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845572

Reply By: Freewheelers - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 22:16

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 22:16
hi all
for those of you who may be interested for the l/c turbo there is a diesel filter that comes with a see through bowl drain line & tap that screws into where the existing filter is
cost just under $200 at 4 wd mega stores cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568081

Our Sponsors