Ford RHD Important Adjustment Good Idea for the Corrugation...

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 28, 2006 at 03:08
ThreadID: 122521 Views:3605 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Well, the first two weeks of play with my new second hand F-250 are up. Mind you this one has gone to the Cape and has 69,000 kms on it.. But in going over it I have found two things that the RHD conversion affects that need attention. There are about 40 Effies here on the BOG, about maybe 90 overall towing larger Bushtrackers, so here goes:

Under the front of your F-250 look up at the Drivers side where the steering column box is. There is a big 1" or so fat connecting rod to go across the front to the power steering box actuator. Now on the corrugation, two things settle out to touch that rod and show wear. One is the lower radiator hose. A simple big zip tie around the lower sheild of the radiator will pull that back just a little so it is not rubbing... Use a big plastic zip tie like they use for disposable handcuffs... No jokes allowed please..

The second place is on the Drivers side, the two lines for transmission fluid running down to the radiator transmission cooler, drop down to the bottom of the radiator from a hard bend further up.. These have also settled down just a little and are just starting to rub. Again, a big fat electrical zip tie about 6mm thick, will pull them up about 20mm out of the way so they do not chafe..

In all fairness both of these could not be anticipated by Ford. These routings were obviously done with the LHD in mind, so when the Right Hand Drive came out, who would think they would get such a pounding on the corrugation to get a little droop in both of these? In all fairness, this is the kind of thing you should all be on patrol for, get under and have a look at things now and then... These are the two I discovered, as I was adding zip ties here and there to bundle things a little tighter as I got to know my new horse...

Have a look at yours, mine were rubbing, let go and there could have been a disabling failure of either engine or transmission cooling system..

Best Regards from the Ranger...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maximus - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 06:33

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 06:33
Steve

Also check that the top radiator hose is not touching the alternator.

Cheers
Barrie
AnswerID: 568108

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 19:21

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 19:21
Thank you Barrie,
I will check that out myself...

I am over the two week romance period of "new boots" with my F-250... And it has blossomed into "True Love". It is certainly confirms itself as the Premier Tow Vehicle for larger vans, in Australia... While Chevy and Dodge are the next grade of luxury, Ford still reigns in my mind for the Australia wide back up of parts and Service... I stopped into Pacific Ford yesterday, and was suitably impressed..

Best Regards, LR
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845589

Our Sponsors