Full Width Mud Flaps

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 09:04
ThreadID: 122526 Views:4824 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
After each trip, I find it necessary to have to repaint almost everything on the A frame of the BT down to the stone deflector.

In April, we will be starting off travelling coast to coast in a rough ‘figure 8’ through the centre and assume most of the 6-7 month trip will be on unsealed roads.

I am considering making up and installing full width mud/stone flaps to my Toyota 100 TD. I am thinking of a retractable design, that I can tie-up when on the blacktop to reduce wind drag.
I have heard conflicting comments on the effectiveness of these full width units, and am looking for comments from my fellow Boggers who have used them.

Do they work? Or are they just not worth the effort?

Look forward to your comments

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Panna Trackers - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 10:03

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 10:03
Hi Neil & Pat
Carry couple of extra tins of silver galmet will save you a lot of messing about.
Trevor
AnswerID: 568125

Reply By: Bushtracker - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 18:53

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 18:53
Hello Neil and Pat,
You will find them quite common with people that work the Outback....

I question the cost effectiveness, but they do work... Not sure it is necessary, and I do not have them on my Mack or my F-250, but I must admit I have considered it. You can buy a couple of cans of DURAGAL silver galvanizing paint.............like every month for the next 20 years or so......... to only equal the cost.. So yes, I have thought about it for years, but never got around to it...

Our Stoneguard does the rest to keep the rocks from getting back to the tow vehicle...
I guess it looks cool to have the Outback style big mud flaps... But I am afraid I could not justify the cost..

But it is a cool place to put the chrome naked lady sillouettes, or other Hoon Truckie symbols... Ha!

Best Regards, from the "Lone Ranger"
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568126

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 05:41

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 05:41
Steve,
Re the Duragal silver. Went to the local hardware and they only carry it in 4 litre containers-bit of an overkill for my rusty thetford and small amount of touch ups on the draw bar! Not spoiled for choice at the moment working at Mundubbera. On the other hand, the guy in the hardware is going to ring his rep to find out what size it comes in and ring me with this and a price-small town service better in some ways. Spose you guys buy it in a massive drum hey??

Have heard some comment that those full width mud flaps restrict air flow under vehicle and may cause extra heat build up in drive line?? Not only that, the middle section if low catches the high part of the road if on dirt with high centre, kicking up dust and stones-defeating the purpose. I just cut pieces of expansion rubber bigger and longer than the factory mudflaps and screw them on when needed. Doubt this would work with fancy plastic mudflaps on most new cars though.

Matt
FollowupID: 845602

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 17:35

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 17:35
Hello Matt,
You must just be shopping in a poorly supplied area, as that Duragal Silver is widely available in regular spray cans.... We buy it by the case of 12 cans, not in a drum, for ease of use it is the only way to go... Suggest you will find it, when you get back to a little larger town....

Regards, LR
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845603

Reply By: Black Cobra - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 04:42

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 04:42
Neil & Pat

A few years ago when I had my 60 series Landcruisers I used to tow camper trailers and I designed a mudflap that went across the complete back end of the vehicle.

I made the mudflap out of old conveyer belt rubber that was about 1/4 " thick and bolted a piece of aluminium 1" angle to the bottom of the rear bumper bar, I think I used existing bolts that were on the underside of the bumper bar.

I then placed the conveyor belt along the 1" aluminium angle and then bolted a flat piece of 1" aluminium onto that, so you had 1" angle, conveyor belt, 1" flat all bolted together.

The lenght was about 3" to 4 " of the ground all the way accross.

I then cut the conveyor belt down the centre up to the aluminium so that each side of the mudflap could go its own way, together with a hole for the exhaust making sure this hole was slightly bigger so when the flap moved upwards there was no chance of the exhaust not re entering the hole..

When you come back to roost you simply unbolt the frame from under the bumper and store.

Because of the weight of the conveyor belt it did not move much with the force of the vehicle going forward as lighter rubbers do, and had the flexibility in off road conditions.

It worked a treat, didn't wear out, never had a broken window, no stone damage to the trailer.

Cheers

Stewart
AnswerID: 568127

Reply By: The Hob - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 05:03

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 05:03
I have seen same (two piece one for each side) made from conveyor belt and attached to a piece of square tube that slides into another square tube for quick fitting and unfitting with a lockbolt. The two pieces slide in from each side to meet together in the center.

I now have a piece of conveyor belt but yet to make up square tubing.
AnswerID: 568128

Reply By: Maximus - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 05:46

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 05:46
Sometime ago I purchased a roll of fairly thick clear stick- on plastic. It is the same sort of thing you will see on some vehicles in parts of the body that can sustain stone chips. If you can find that sort of material it could quite easily be used to stick over most of the A frame. It came from the USA and I originally got it from the company that is now Supercheap. Try them or a few Auto outlets ie Repco.
It was great stuff and in fact I think I will see if I can get myself for my new van.
Best of luck.
AnswerID: 568129

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 10:02

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 10:02
We made ours with a small gap in the middle, which helps with air flow. Stops the stones, but stirs us the dust down both sides of the van - may be why we got dust in the door this trip. Some of the caravanners have a shade cloth slung under the a-frame between car and caravan, which seems to work quite well.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568130

Our Sponsors