Landrover Discovery

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:08
ThreadID: 122527 Views:4581 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all out there in the land of BT's. I am new to the BOG. Looks like I just saved $3000.00 on the purchase of my BT. I am seeking any info about Disco's towing a 20ft BT. I have a 2002 Td5 Auto which I might add towed our rather large and heavily loaded off road tradesman trailer on our recent 7500km trip without any hesitation whatsoever. Any one else out there got a Disco?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:28

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:28
I can only remember two off the BOG, towing with Discos...
"Landy" I believe is happy towing a 19', and "Bogged Mick" with an 18'....

Among those not on the Internet, or not computer literate, or not on the BOG: I can tell you we have quite a number happy towing the 18', and a collection of Rave Reviews on the Disco, but from memory most are doing it in 18'...

20' behind a Disco is a rarity for some reason, I can only think of one, with children, and they are not traveling anymore, back in the system.. We know of one other, gone years ago, but cannot think of the name.. It is rare.. I know that the New Disco with the Diesel V-6, has more power and longer wheelbase and almost all ratings better than the Landcruiser now, but I cannot think of anyone off-hand that could give a current report on towing with a 20'.. You might have to wing it a bit on this one and Pioneer the first report for the Record... Sorry I cannot help more..

If you are patient, when "Landy" sees this, he might tell you how he is going with a fairly loaded 19' and that is probably about as close to an actual, as you are going to get...

Kind Regards from the Lone Ranger....
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568131

Follow Up By: Jimarie - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:51

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:51
Thank you Lone Ranger. Yes I looked through the Members list (exploring the site) and found Landy's site and sent him a message. All I can do now is wait and see.
regards, Jim Matthews, Alice Springs.
FollowupID: 845604

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:58

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:58
No worries, that is you Jim from the Alice.! OK, got you now... No worries, I did not know if you were a Member.

Just trying to help you out as non-Members supposedly cannot access the MemberMessage service.. Good luck.. If he is traveling heavy with his 19', he might give you the answer you need for 20'..

Welcome aboard...
Regards, LR

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845605

Reply By: dazmit - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 18:27

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 18:27
Hi

I have a friend with another brand of offroad van (19' external) towing it with a V8 Disco II and he is not very happy with the stability of the Landy in that the van can push the Landy around. He is currently saving up for a Cruiser.

With Da Rangers expansive info on the pro's of a F250 being a safer tow vehicle than a Cruiser etc I suspect it would be the same for a Landy compared to Cruiser etc - ie the Landy has a much shorter wheelbase.

I'm sure the Landy will pull the van but will it do it safely to you and other road users ??

Cheers

Darryl
Brisbane
AnswerID: 568132

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 19:23

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 19:23
Hello Darryl,
I have seen the new Discovery, V-6 at a distance, and to be fair it may be (as reported to me) better than the Landcruiser... It is reportedly as I said above, exceeding the Cruiser in every measure including wheelbase! We have to be fair here, and while I am not necessarily a Land Rover Fan as they are difficult to work on and expensive on parts; we have to wait and see how this new one performs. At least on paper, for the first time, it reportedly exceeds the Cruiser in all categories..

Best Regards, from the Ranger, trying to stay on top of Research...
And the New Discovery may be a new development worthy of open mind...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845606

Reply By: dazmit - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 19:51

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 19:51
OK Steve

I was talking about the superceded Disco - D2. I agree the D3 looks great on paper with wheelbase , power etc etc.

Cheers

Darryl
Brisbane
AnswerID: 568133

Reply By: Motley - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 20:51

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 20:51
Jim,

I have a feeling you may have problem with the legal towing capacity of the Discovery. I may be off track here but I seem to recall that whilst the tow capacity is around 3-4,000kg, there is a limitation on ball weight. Theoretically, ball weight should be 8-10% of the weight of the van and if you reverse this calculation the the maximum weight you can tow is say, 10 times the maximum ball weight allowable.

I have a feeling that the ball wight for the Discovery is around 200kg which means the maximum towing load is around 2,000kg.

As I said, I seem to recall this discussion in relation to Discovery's but can't remember where.

Might be worth looking at the specs and seeing what the maximum allowable ball weight is
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568134

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 21:24

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 21:24
Thank you for that Motley.

We have run across this before at Bushtracker. I have asked and we just cannot remember just how it was done. This has been rectified with a special tow bar or something and definitely can be upgraded... We cannot recall just how, but was done by Owners in the past and there was an upgrade to 300 or 350 kg... We will wait in the hope of rescue by "Landie" or other L Rover Owner who can shed some light.

Anyway we do know that it is not an insurmountable problem...
Regards, LR

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845607

Reply By: Bogged Mick - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 22:03

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 22:03
Jim,

I have now done about 50 000 km towing an 18 footer with our Disco TD5.

Motley is correct in alluding to the limited ball weight on the Disco II which is 250 kg. The maximum towing load is 3.5 tonnes which gives you a 7% of caravan weight on the ball at the maximum. Some people would say this is on the lower end of satisfactory ball weight but I understand that others consider it acceptable (obviously Landrover). I am not aware of any upgrades to increase capacity of the vehicle legally.

My Bushtracker has a tare weight of 2.4 tonne and loaded approximately 3.0 tonne which means it is heavier than the loaded Disco. My Disco (2002 auto) has the self levelling air suspension which has proven to be very durable - I have had no need for suspension upgrades.

I agree with all the arguments about the longer wheelbase, heavier vehicle being better for towing. However for a number of reasons including the desire to have only one vehicle which can tow and be used around town I have found the Disco to be a very satisfactory vehicle.

I have progressed through a number of towing aids to reduce instablility and improve the road handling. I started with none and progressed through the Hayman Reece anti sway brake to HR load levelers to the heavy duty HR anti sway attachments which work with the load levelers. This final arrangement has virtually eliminated any effect of overtaking trucks (a good indication of vehicle stability) and I am very happy with the arrangement. Along the way I installed a HR towbar as the standard Landrover towbar cannot handle the torque applied by the HR load levelers.

I have had a transmission temperature gauge fitted after "doing" an automatic transmission. I found out that the high temperature warning light for the transmission (which never activated) only activates when the temperature reaches 130 degrees C. With mineral oil at this temperature I am told the damage is already done. I now use synthetic oil in the transmission and have installed extra transmission cooling capacity. The temperature gauge is fantastic as you can immediately get an indication of the work level of the transmission. For example leaving it in Drive on gravel roads when travelling at 60-70 kph sees the temperature rise as the torque converter is unlocked and the gearbox hunts for gears.

The economy of the TD5 diesel is outstanding - we travel at 90 kph and achieved 17 l/100 km in a 25000km trip around the block which included significant dirt road sections. We have maintained this economy even on trips which have included substantially more dirt roads.

As to whether the Disco would be happy with a 20 footer my view would be that you would struggle. I think we are on the limit of the vehicles capacity for long term longevity and would suspect that a heavier caravan would see reduced life of some components.

My two cents worth!

Mick
AnswerID: 568135

Our Sponsors