gps

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 08, 2006 at 22:54
ThreadID: 122540 Views:6963 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
have been checking out gps & have been told that there is a very limited number of gps that do both city navigation & outback
garmin have the 276 c ( $1869 with land mapping & car kit) & the quest ($845)
magellan nothing
navman nothing
etc etc
according to gpsoz this is the state of play
can anybody contradict this
thanks
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 02:50

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 02:50
The Garmin Streetpilot seems to have a pretty good coverage of most bush roads, at least any that are on most paper based maps anyhow.
City coverage seems very good although the new Sydney freeways are not on the maps as yet.
You get the City Navigator map set when you purchase but for the bush you also need the Metro Guide map set.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 568169

Reply By: The Hob - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 05:52

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 05:52
Is this being approached from the wrong angle?

Digital street maps are "vector" maps and the topographic style maps are "raster" maps as you are probably aware. The display and manipulation of these maps requires software and the GPS just gives location to enable "moving map" displays. Some GPS hardware have programs to display vector maps.

Some vector maps are now showing a lot more than just streets but also show roads and tracks outside of towns.

Some of the mapping software can do both (TrackRanger) and others like OziExplorer and Destinator do one or the other. If you use some other display device (not the GPS screen) such as PDA, laptop or extension screen you only need a basic GPS (could be usb mouse type with no display) to feed location info to the software.

I think you will be better served by asking what you want display wise, what maps you want to use and then find equipment to suit it.
AnswerID: 568170

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:31

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:31
We have the Street Pilot III with Metro Guide maps that I believe are no longer being updated. They have a lot of small country town streets on them, but when out in the real bush, we use TrackRanger Raster Maps on laptop.

In real country areas, the Street Pilot only has the main road on the map, and many just say "Travelling on Road" where the Raster maps actually name the road, and Vice Versa.

Due to Street Pilot and TrackRanger requiring different Baud rates (INFO Transfer) we have a second GPS unit that operates the Trackranger Raster Maps.

They are all only as good as the maps available, and some of the Topo maps have not been updated for many years and are now out of date as far as tracks that have been closed or new roads made.

At least we are able to tell exactly where we are at all times.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 845621

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 08:20

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 08:20
We LOVE - REALLY LOVE - our Garmin. The Street Pilot III has been replaced by the 2610. We still use the III.

The new Navigator 6 combines the Street Navigator and the Metro Guide into one program and come with the new unit.

Jay
AnswerID: 568171

Reply By: The Hob - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:24

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:24
I notice that TrackRanger version 5 has the capability of using both the topo maps and UBD maps of various cities. See the URL below.

http://www.advantechdesign.com.au/maps.html#ubd

I don't know if OziExplorer can do that but I guess it will come
AnswerID: 568172

Our Sponsors