Cruise control safety

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 11, 2006 at 21:26
ThreadID: 122545 Views:4114 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
safety for using cruise control. email I received recently might be of interest to others:
Begin copy
'DRIVERS BEWARE

I NEVER KNEW THIS. I wonder how many people know about
this?

A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car.

A resident of Sydney, NSW, she was traveling between Newcastle & Sydney.
It was raining, though not excessively, when her car suddenly began to hydroplane and literally flew through the air. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!

When she explained to the highway patrolman what had
happened he told her something that every driver should know.

NEVERDRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON.

She had thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain.
But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on and your car begins to hydroplane -- when your tires lose contact with the road, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed and you take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred.

The highway patrol estimated her car was actually traveling through
the air at 20 to 30 miles kmh faster than the speed set on the cruise control.

The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat sun-visor -

NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE ROAD IS WET OR ICY,
along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed - but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when the road is dry.

The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the patrolman), was a man who had had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries. If you send this to or tell at least a couple of your freinds and only one of them doesn't know about this, then it was all worth
it.
You might have saved a life.'
end of copy
David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 02:06

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 02:06
Sounds as authentic as the story about the bloke who set the cruise control on a motorhome and went down the back to make a cup of coffee.

The victim of the current yarn is a resident of NSW, pity the "English" is American.
And the physics are wrong, have a think about it.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568182

Follow Up By:- Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 02:45

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 02:45
absolute rubbish
FollowupID: 845629

Reply By: The Hob - Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 05:27

Sunday, Mar 12, 2006 at 05:27
My work car has cruise control and while it can help on long drives to be able to move the right leg around, they must be one hell of an aid to help a driver fall asleep at the wheel or wander off the road due to lack of concentration.
AnswerID: 568183

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 18:42

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 18:42
Hello David,

Thank you for sharing your concerned care with us... I was very kind..

But da Ranger don't buy it... I think this is another one of the "Urban Myths. I do not think it is possible... Unless maybe if you were going down a steep hill and skiing on the water....

The Cruise control maintains a speed based on the rotation of the tyres, and governs the throttle of the engine for control of the speed; and in automatics the transmission shifts on its own based on the same controls.... It takes energy to accelerate mass, just pure physics. The vehicle could not go faster, if the tyres were spinning on the water, only slower.. The only exception to this law of physics and engineering would be if it was severely hydroplaning down a hill, and if it was steep enough it could break traction and gravity take over... But that is about the only way and a bit thin... It would not be instantaneous, instead a slow increase in speed as gravity pulled the vehicle with an increase in speed down the incline. But as I said this is really thin. The reason is that the incline it would take to do it, would also shed water very fast... I mean I have never heard of it or seen it with three different vehicles currently with Cruise Control and uncountable hundreds of thousands or millions of km driving... Yes, OH YES, you could lose traction with a hydroplane, no question there, but accelerate suddenly 20-30 kms per hour? No....

It sounds like another urban myth, started by Blond, explaining why She wrecked the car.. Ha!

But thank you for the concern..
da Ranger...

AnswerID: 568184

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 18:48

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 18:48
That first line should read "It was very kind"... Appreciate your effort...
Regards from da Ranger...
FollowupID: 845630

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 18:57

Monday, Mar 13, 2006 at 18:57
Hello David,
That first line should read "It was very kind", your concerned entry on the Bog is appreciated... But per my Posting, I believe an urban myth... However, it was a nice try, as we are here on the BOG to help each other....

And I was not here when you came in to Order your new Bushtracker... Congratulations! Many people that have bought a second hand Bushtracker, often come back some time later for a new one... It is great that your experience with the previous one was good, because the new one will even be better.. Tailored to suit your personal needs, the layout just for you, the colours of your choosing, the gear to suit you, the updated technology of a new van, and not least of all the Warranty... Again, I was out on the day, but congratulations are in order... Let us know how we can help...

Cheers from da Ranger.
AnswerID: 568185

Reply By: Oldperc - Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 01:59

Tuesday, Mar 14, 2006 at 01:59
Thanks for the comments.
True of false, when I received the email I figured it was worth sharing to have clarified.

Seems its false, so no harm done.
Nonetheless, when it is raining I don't use the cruise anyway.

Regards to all.
David

David and Ann
'I'am so proud of you poppa'

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568186

Our Sponsors