Perth C&C Show

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 10:34
ThreadID: 122553 Views:4028 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Well we have 'done' the Perth C&C show today. Checked all the new van releases some looked very posh, all shiny and clean and complete with shiny clean sales persons in attendance.

We needed to set up some sort of quick and dirty test criteria to see how they measured up......We peered underneath and checked the robustness of the suspension and then the amount of exposed wiring and unprotected plumbing

We then checked the amount of wasted space and poorly designed storage and finally opened a drawer and checked the number of staples holding the drawer together. Some only had two staples per side about the same size as I use in the office for paper. None had solid wood with dovetailed joints!

We finally scoured the show for any usefull 'thingies' we might need to improve our 19 footer.

We came home with a 1L bottle of cassette chemical we have yet to try and a 'Ferret' thingy that lets down your tyres at a controlled 1 psi per sec. (You always have to buy something you don't need!)

Conclusions. We are very thankful we did the right research on what we needed and that we finished up with a 19 footer Bt, built to a standard and not a price. It needs no add ons.

Cheers John and Jean

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 18:47

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 18:47
You are a real pleasure to have in the BT Family...
I wish there was some way we could Commission you to do some of the Shows for us out in Perth....??? Poor people over there are screaming for us, from what I hear...

It has always been a tuffie for us... Just can't get there, to show people what a Real Outback Caravan looks like....

Kind Regards from da Ranger...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568218

Reply By: The paca people - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:44

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:44
Hi G/B & Dragon plus Steve,

We too went to the Perth C&C Show on St Pat's Day to check out the new toys. However I did see one van with machine dovetailed & glued cupboard door frames but only one ! (sorry Steve, now cannot recall which brand).
Virtually all brands still have excessively "tizzy" interior trim (particularly cupboard hinges), bilious colour schemes and PVC pipes hanging below the chassis members even on vans which were supposed to be off-road or "suitable for gravel roads" models.
Undoubtably the best van at the Show was a Boroma which was a client's van that was made available to Boroma to exhibit; something like a 22' with all bells & whistles incl satelite TV dish and priced at something like $120k.

Agree that BT need a van at the Perth Show (& yes, WA is part of Australia despite what some Eastern Staters think - particularly those following AFL) - even our fairly well travelled August 2002 model would have been a better sales aid than 98% of the brand new vans we inspected!
Don't quite know why we drove a 200km round trip but 'the Manager' was more than happy we had made the correct decision on buying a BT - don't think there ever was any doubt!!!
G/B & Dragon, if you are heading down the coast past Mandurah, please call in at the 'Paca Farm 11km south of the Dawesville Cut - ph 9582 1950.

Keep up the good work and service, Steve,

Cheers from the far West
Martin B.
AnswerID: 568219

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 07:28

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 07:28
Hi Martin,

Must have missed that one with the dovetails - at least someone is trying.

I totally agree about the 'tizzy' (glitzy) interiors, but most of it appears all show and no substance. But, when you look at the prospective buyers you can get an inkling why. They just wander in, have a squiz and wander out again, I did not see anyone get down and have a look underneath where the important bits are. The storage area in some front lockers (boots?) was shocklingly little and some joinery was less than adequate.

The onl thing that impressed me was most of the aircons that were running we very quiet. Not sure what make as we wouldn't bother to change ours as it is rarely used.

Cheers John & Jean
FollowupID: 845642

Our Sponsors