Dumb Question Dept Drain for Water Tank

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 18, 2006 at 22:46
ThreadID: 122555 Views:4499 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Steve kindly delivered our new BT to be parked a friends property near BT HQ until we can drive up from Sydney and collect it. We wanted to disinfect the water tank whilst it is parked there. We have read the BOG site re why to and what to use but need to advise our mate how to actually drain the tank. Would someone tell me how to do this easily.
Thanks

Ian and Liz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 23:12

Sunday, Mar 19, 2006 at 23:12
new BT why dont u ask Steve
AnswerID: 568223

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 19:18

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 19:18
Very good suggestion Peter, I mean what the hell, I am only the hub of information from the 1000 or so...

Gibbo, here is the best chem I have heard of so far, at least by reports, as all I have used is the good soak with a couple litres of vinegar or sodium bicarb, or even cuppa bleach, and a few days soaking a draining and such..

But this is supposed to work, (copied from source)

Being a home brewer for 10 years or so, I adopted the sterilization powder, sodium metabisulphate. When I arrive home from a trip, I empty all TANKs, then put a heaped tablespoon of sod.met. in two litres of WATER, mix and put in each TANK. Then I drive the van around, preferably on a bit of rough road or find a place where there are traffic calming devices such as speed humps, chicanes, roundabouts etc. so you really get the stuff swishing around. I came back from one trip with a trace of green algae showing in my clear plastic TANK gauges (see in my photos in the Pictures page), and the process got rid of that.When youve done the swish trip, find an embankment or steep side slope to drain the TANKs again. Then put about 20 l of WATER in each TANK whilst in storage. There will still be a trace of sod. met. in that 20 l , but that's good. Now before next trip, empty the TANKs, and then fille'm up for your trip.

You can get Sod. met. at the supermarkets in the home brew section.

Anyway, probably all of them work if done enough, da Ranger....
And Gibbo, yes there is a drain on each tank, protected by its own cute little stoneguard...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845644

Follow Up By: Gibbobear - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 22:23

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 22:23
Thank you one and all for the advice and feedback re drinking water.
Its great owning a BT that has such good support from BT and the BOG.

FollowupID: 845645

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 00:52

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 00:52
each tank has a drain tap fitted, right side.
But why do you want to disinfect new tanks?

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568224

Reply By: Gibbobear - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:42

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:42
Bob, Thanks for the information/advice,

After reading on the BOG site about the problem of new tanks holding a plastic taste I just wanted to improve the taste of the drinking water tank, not really looking to"disinfect" the tanks as I stated . We want to collect the BT and head west without much delay. Hence wanting to enjoy clean tasting drinking water from day one.

Ian
AnswerID: 568225

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:46

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:46
why not get a bit of Borax or Bi Carb throw a bit in the tank fi;ll with water leave for an hour or so and empty all is clean and no smells
AnswerID: 568226

Reply By: Gibbobear - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:51

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:51
Thanks I will do that.

Ian
AnswerID: 568227

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 19:20

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 19:20
Gibbo,
Read the followup to Peter in this thread, regarding Sodium Metabisulfate, or however it is spelled, Brewers disinfectant... Regards, Ranger...
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845646

Reply By: Luvntravln - Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 06:23

Monday, Mar 20, 2006 at 06:23
If you want absolutely sweet water get the Amway filter system! Pricey, you bet. Worth it? Makes the best cuppa imaginable.

We have been liveaboards for almost two years and we have never cleaned or done anything to our tanks.

Jay
AnswerID: 568228

Reply By: Freewheelers - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 03:19

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 03:19
hi all we have just installed a water filter in the line under the sink the canister is same as a normal kitchen type (but only one ) & the filter does all the normal stuff plus it has a charcoal core cost $ 35 for canister, filter $115 you can scrub the out side of the filter with a scotch brite to clean it should last a couple of years depending on use according to the Water Shop
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 568229

Our Sponsors