Tyres - shelf life

Submitted: Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:27
ThreadID: 122567 Views:4011 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What is the reasonable shelf life of tyres - I have never seen anything on this anywhere?

I have spares that have never been used and which are now approaching 5 years old - is there a time limit when these should not be fitted to a vehicle?

PS: Just replaced 2 BF Goodrich A/T's on my Landcruiser after 110,000km - could probably have got another 10,000km legally, but prefer to play things safe.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:36

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:36
Phil and Lorraine,

We have had tyres that age and older.... I have a set of BFG MT 285/75 R16 that I have owned about that long. They were not weather checked, and looked good, and they are now on my Effie...

However, Struth, they do have a Manufacturers "Shelf Life"..... To find out what this is, you have to take the Serial Numbers on the tyre and go to the Manufacturer to find out the "Use By" date...

Now in practical terms, ya know da Ranger runs on dat side of tings.... That is for commercial resale, and there would be a Safety Margin built into that. Sooooo, I made the decision that "mine were just fine" ... Truth is that I have been told that they actually harden up a bit in the first few years to wear better. But check with BFG and see what they say to be on the safe side...

Regards from da Ranger,
and stay off the road, I am running on Brand New 285s that are about five years old!!! Ha! Lol
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568267

Reply By: Wadefarers - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 16:20

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 16:20
Phil

Had a set of BFG AT's, but not the KO's, on the Cruiser and just recently one went flat on Helen. When I looked at the tyre when I got home it had split around the top of the sidewall near the tread and the air was leaking out. It actually looked as though the tyre had about 20 odd knife slashes in it. I checked all the other tyres and at least two others were going that way. They had done around 80,000 and still had a lot of tread left but replaced the lot.

When the bloke took them off he said they were made in 1995. I had had them stored for a while (looks like about 7 years from what he said) and put them on the Cruiser when we got the BT at the start of 2002. From the look of them I think they were just too old and started to split so maybe it wouldn't hurt to ask a BFG bloke about storage as an issue.

Regards

Jeff

AnswerID: 568268

Our Sponsors