mid north coast

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 03:48
ThreadID: 122584 Views:3864 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
drove from sydney to port macquarie & back on the week end
the highway has finally been diverted to bypass coopernook thats where the narrow
bridge was that you need to call ahead in case you met a semi or another caravanner
we also checked out the seal rocks end of the old mining road that went through behind the dunes in myall lakes np well & trully locked off since feb 05
we understand that it is also locked at or near mungo brush has anybody been to that end in the last 12/15 months ??? cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TRB60 - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 19:11

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 19:11
Hi.
Yes the southern end from mungo brush is also locked out, we were there in march 2006 ,great camping spot right on the lake with the ocean just over the dunes , national park controlled.
regards terry bridges.
AnswerID: 568306

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 22:11

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 22:11
Thanks for that Stephen & Deborah,

Won't miss the Coopernook Bridge....but there's an urgent need to upgrade the remaining 2-way sections of the Highway. Traffic is still growing at 4% per annum and that is currently an increase in average annual daily traffic of more than 1500 vehicles. The average annual daily traffic volume at Raymond Terrace is now about 32,500.

As for National Parks, it seems the agenda of NPWS is to keep people out of National Parks, closing roads and camping areas or making the camping areas suitable only for small tents, the occupants of which are expected to walk from somewhere. This is a discriminatory approach to management of a facility that should be accessible to all...not just the ardent hikers and bushwalkers.

We should be lobbying NPWS on these matters, otherwise the trend will just continue.

Cheers............Rob.

AnswerID: 568307

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 04:36

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 04:36
Agree with that- Sally & I have some inability (read disability) for such "Trecking" and as such have already registered initial thoughts regards the following with Sen Minchin (SA) - have yet to recieve a reply of course!
We approached the topic along the lines of "...we drive a 4WD to get out and discover this great land of ours, we practice "Tread Lightly" type principles and feel DISCRIMINATED against when such Depts close off access to us and expect that ALL are able enough to do what they say we can!" - Oh I'll get off my soap box now - 'cos I get a bit savage if I don't. Don't want to cause too deep a discussion on this site either.

But yes we notice things like closures, track deterioration starting immediately one gets past the fence and into parks and so on. Only walkers etc along roads which were very accessible and so on. How we wish we could be so fit etc etc. But I guess thats life!
Cheers Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 845707

Our Sponsors