Fuel Gauges for Long Range Fuel Tanks

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 07:28
ThreadID: 122619 Views:4036 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Recently we had a 180 litre fuel tank fitted to our LC100 TD in place of the 50 litre sub tank.
Originally, the fuel gauge stayed put on full for the first 500km. We then run out of fuel with the gauge sitting above zero at 1150km (city driving), and the low fuel warning light not coming on.
Its since been back to our supplier for modifications. When re-filling the tank, the low fuel warning light did not go out until between 80 & 100 litres went in.
The gauge then rose progressively and indicated full according to the tank being full. It seems they have reversed the original condition.

Has anyone had experience with this problem, and what is the fix. No one I have asked , from the manufacturer of the tank, our supplier, or even Tojo himself can offer suggestions.

Help! When I ran out of fuel, fortunately I was travelling in suburbia at less than 50kph. To lose power steering and brakes with the 3.25 tonne Bushtracker on the back at 100kph would be frightening.

Hope someone has some ideas

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtracker - Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 19:59

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 at 19:59
That is going to be a hard one for an Auto Elecky to sort out.... I have the same system in my Wifes 100 Series... Don't think I would want to sort out the complex electrical of two tanks switching on one gauge if it starts to fail...

I never trust gauges, always run on a trip meter as well... One added thing I have in my Ford, that is a good idea, is it was made to pump the aux into the main, so I run just the main tank gauge that works well... This would be a simple replumb, if all else fails, with a cheap electric fuel pump and a switch on the dash... If you forget and leave it on as you drive, the main tank fills and just overflows back through the 2 to 1 filler pipe into the aux tank again... Happened to me just this morning as I topped off my main tank from the aux. Noticed it was full, and flipped off the switch... You can get a switch with a pilot light on it, that helps to remind you as well... Simple system, and really more fool proof than the double switching of two tanks and fuel solenoids on the main gauge which is a bit too complex if something is not quite right....

If all else fails, this system will allow you to run off the main tank and gauge by itself...

Regards from the Ranger,
"He who has the most toys wins" and I am certainly up there in the running... Ha!
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568388

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:11

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 00:11
And if that does'nt work cut your self a dip stick.

Cheers John
FollowupID: 845746

Our Sponsors