Keeping Dust Out of a BT

Submitted: Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 07:31
ThreadID: 122638 Views:4396 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Having recently migrated from off road camper trailer to a BT we have plenty to learn. ( Delighted to stumble on the BOG and become members.)

We think we have one of two problems licked (dust ingress) but would welcome advice from other BT users on both:
(1) how do you prevent dust ingress on dusty tracks?
(2) what is the secret for FILLING water tanks and not needing to take 30 +
minutes per tank to prevent water escaping from the filler?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BushtrackerDevs - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 08:36

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 08:36
Vince & Helen,

I know many people have a view on this. But here goes...

Get two pieces of foam rubber for the dust.

One cut to size to fit betwwen the van door and the watertight door thus blocking the air vent in the door. (Assuming youve got the no gas appliances operating in the van and the bottle turned off!)

One cut to size to stuff in the fourseasons hatch opening in the roof once the hatch is closed.

For the tanks, you can fit the filling hosepipe down inside the filler so it is a snug but not airtight fit into the main filler line itself rather than the broad neck. Air still needs to come out as the tanks dont bleed fast enough otherwise, but water will only spill out when the tank is full.

Hope this helps.

Rob
AnswerID: 568442

Follow Up By: Freewheelers - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 20:50

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 20:50
robs spot on
for the hose filler we purchased a 500 mm long section of food grade hose (froim bunnings $2.00) & clamped a hose to hose male joiner ($1.00)to one end this allows any normal female hose fitting to clamp onto it & the other end we cut off at 30 degrees & filed off the rough edges this allows you to get this hose well down into the fill pipe works well cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 845782

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 21:08

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 21:08
We at Bushtracker, the Lone Rangers Hideout, have scraps of the thin wall stiff plastic HWS hose.... It is stiff and pokes down the hole well... (Forbidden on jokes Turist)..
If anyone stops in, they are free for the asking...
Cheers, LR
"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845783

Reply By: Bushtracker - Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 17:55

Friday, Apr 28, 2006 at 17:55
There is only a dust problem with a Bushtracker if something is wrong.... We would be the most dust proof van anywhere, with our watertight integrity...

Find out if your back window is sprung, as that is the most likely culprit... People get bulldust in the hinge and then they cannot crank it closed... So then their partner goes outside and "Helps it" by pushing on it... That springs the hinge so the top part of the window does not seal.

Also, there are many Tips on things like you are talking about on the Members Forum. I would suggest you become a Member. I fill 8 tanks on my van in about 20 minutes. There is no problem, we use a piece of grey plastic hot water service line that fits down the filler throat and has a snap on fitting to go onto the hose.. As with most things, you just need to learn how..

Find out where the dust is coming in. And we will be able to tell you how to fix it....

Regards from the Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 568443

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 09:22

Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 at 09:22
Guilty of the back window bit - but only a minuscule amount of dust sneaks in there. Can we get a window that is fully sealed and non opening for the back?

We have just returned home, and we got a lot of dust coming in through the door vents, even with the water door closed, when travelling on fine dust roads in SA. I have always intended to get a sheet of foam rubber, but haven't come across any yet. We have 4" foam for the four seasons hatch, but that doesn't even get dust on it.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 845784

Follow Up By: Bushtracker - Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:50

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 21:50
Hello Motherhen,
Look, you are really unlikely to be getting any dust in the Four Seasons Hatch, that is a rare thing that happens on the one in fifty tow vehicle turbulence air flow... You could get some in the gas hatch on the door, I close my watertight door and poke a 75mm strip of soft foam down the top flush with the top... The rear window, yes per my previous, that is a problem. Instead of replacing it with a non-opening window, I suggest you still have the opening one, just either clean the hinge or do not open it when in the thick bulldust until you get back to a good water source and can blow it out with a hose...

Some people brush it out with a stiff paint brush, I myself have not done it but I have heard that the top hinge works well with a strip of Duct Tape over it for the length of the window top hinge, when in the heavy bull dust. Or as I said, do not bother and just do not open it in the extreme dust times... Cheap and easy, brush, wash, tape off, just care for the top hinge instead of springing it, and you will be very unlikely to have any dust problems...

Regards from the Ranger...

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 845785

Reply By: Boystoy - Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 07:49

Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 07:49
Hi Vince & Helen

Another useful addition to the filling hose is an in-line tap that you can use to both regulate the flow, and to shut off if needed without the need to run back to the supply tap wherever it may be. I used a low pressure inline tap similar to the one on the tank drain. Wouldn' leave it turned off for too long on mains pressure, but so far no problems.

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 568444

Our Sponsors