TIP # 98 Broadcasters Got Wind of Free to Air Satellite TV, Now in Cutback Mode…

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 29, 2006 at 00:25
ThreadID: 122640 Views:4348 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Due to the need for a revenue source to help with TV coverage in the Outback, they are cutting back on the availability of service to Dishes.. Now those waiting to decide on something fancy like the automatic homing in system, the Oyster Dish top of the line, is looking to me a little less attractive as it will no longer be allowed to log on from any area that has even a distant landside TV broadcast. They want you to have the commercials, as the commercials pay most of the bill…. So they are actually not allowing your Oyster or other dishes as well, to log on. From what I hear this curtailment will continue to grow… Now the Oyster does no longer have the advantage of not needing the card like the other satellite dishes.. It has been reduced to the same coverage and to me it has lost a little of the edge…

This would take the wind out of my sails a bit if I was thinking about the fancy Oyster system. It will still work in a very remote setting, just be aware they are in the process of cutting out the “Free” , in the “Free to Air” When your Card keying in Decoder senses that it is in a land based TV coverage area, it just will not let you log on.. The only way to stay on top of them, is to pay for the extra Austar TV Coverage, but the “Free to air” is not as free anymore…

Happy Trails, from the Lone Ranger, out there …

"The Last Stand In Open Country"

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jlgcomm - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 09:34

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 09:34
Hi Lone Ranger

What you are suggesting if I read correctly is that owners of satellite dishes currently receiving their 'free to air' channels via satellite will no longer be able to access the service or have limited access.

This is entirely incorrect. Optus use two types of encryption for the 'Aurora' channels. Irdeto version1 and Irdeto version2.

The reason the encryption is there in the first place is to limit access to viewers outside a broadcasters licence area. For example, using an official smartcard in your decoder, you cannot access GWN or WIN TV if you are not currently within WA.

Irdeto 1 has been widely 'hacked' and people using systems like the OYSTER or our TRAVELSAT may have been able to access all of the Aurora channels using a 'GOLDCARD' or even a cardless system that has the encryption keys stored on the decoder.

Optus recently updated the access keys on IRDETO 1 and this affected most users of GOLDCARDS and ALL users of CARDLESS systems.

The system caters for caravanners, so if you have an official smartcard, you can access ABC and SBS as well as Imparja and SEVEN east of the WA border. If you travel into WA and would like GWN and WIN TV switched on, it's just a matter of advising IMPARJA, SEVEN and OPTUS and you'll get these channels switched on.

In summary, if you're after TV anywhere in Australia and in perfect digital format, get yourself a sat system and only use an OFFICIAL smartcard and you'll always have picture.

Also, Aurora was never free to air (no smartcard), it has always been free to view ( smartcard required).

Setting the record straight.

jlgcomm
SatPlus
AnswerID: 568451

Follow Up By: Turist - Monday, May 15, 2006 at 17:49

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 17:49
John your informaton is sure to be of interest to our members.
However if you wish to use this member funded forum commercially in order to advertise your product the it would be polite to approach the administrators first.

Perhaps you would care to make a donation to our group that will assist us to defray the costs of maintaining this site, the one that is at the present, carrying your advertisement.

You may member message me for details on where to send your donation.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 845792

Reply By: loopi - Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:48

Monday, May 29, 2006 at 18:48
Can anyone point out how to get in touch with the portable satellite tv man in Dingo Beach. Everyone is raven about his system and relieble service assistance?
Seems to be the best deal around at the moment, but I can not find anything on the net.
AnswerID: 568452

Our Sponsors